4Sevens Maelstrom X10 (XM-L, 26650) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and more!

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 100-yard beamshots do have a distance marker ~30m, due to the angle of the beam (i.e. corona spill on the road, before it drops down). See my round-up thread for more info on the location. But it will likely be a couple of weeks before I make the next trip out, as I am waiting on some more lights. We'll see how it looks then, I haven't tested it at any significant distance yet.

From what I could tell, the road's pretty bright, but I'm wondering how much of the spill is usable off-trail, or in the park where you've got more greens and non-level surfaces. Would you say the 30m mark is the limit, or is it more out to the full 100m per the beamshots? Fenix's claim of 333m is... well, I suppose it depends on the terrain and how night-adapted your eyes are. Or if everything's white.

Hmmm, the smaller light size might work against you a bit here (depending on how big and bulky your gloves are). But the button is certainly easy to access with gloves on - much more so than most lights.

I'm thinking 'ohgod, it's 4 PM in winter and everything's black save for the snow, and crap it's -40C out' gloves. :D Would you think the twist-head makes it better than something like the two large buttons on the TK35?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I'm thinking 'ohgod, it's 4 PM in winter and everything's black save for the snow, and crap it's -40C out' gloves. :D Would you think the twist-head makes it better than something like the two large buttons on the TK35?
Yeah, in winter with heavy gloves, I think the large tailap twist of the X10 would be easier than the two buttons of the TK35. Have to wait a few months to find out in this hemisphere ... :whistle:

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, in winter with heavy gloves, I think the large tailap twist of the X10 would be easier than the two buttons of the TK35. Have to wait a few months to find out in this hemisphere ... :whistle:

Depending on the part of Canada, that can be as little as two or three months. :sssh: I wonder how well mode switching will go with gloves.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine today and I'm very satisfied, mine is brighter than my SC600 and TK35 on the ceiling bounce, I did not expect it to be brighter than my TK35 but I can see a slight difference. The funny thing is while one battery charges the other battery I bought reads 3.8v out of the box and that's what I did these ceiling bounce test with.

My hotspot is pretty much identical to selfbuilts with a very white hotspot, warm corona and cool white spill. The artifacts are there but for a thrower it's no big deal, all I have to do is look back at the XR-E thrower days and the X10 beam profile looks like a plate of gold.

Helmut.G

Enlightened
hey selfbuilt, thanks for another great review. your work is appreciated:goodjob:
However I'd like to add that in the flashlight comparison picture a 4sevens Maelstrom G5 is shown while the text says Thrunite Scorpion.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been carrying the X10 around for a few days and nights now and the beam is wonderful and it feels like it's built like a tank, however I just can't get use to the twisty UI. If it was like the LX2 I would have no problem but somehow I often find myself in the wrong mode, maybe a grip ring would help but I would trade two Quark Tacticals for a clicky switch, maybe one day we can buy a clicky for X10 as an accessory?

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too am dying to see that outdoor beamshot :)

Great review by the way !

scaramanga

Newly Enlightened
I just got mine today and did a try it outside a few minutes ago. This thing throws well! Am very happy with my purchase. Thank you selfbuilt for your review, which made me decide to get this amazing light!
DSC_0001-6.jpg

jerrysimons

Newly Enlightened
Wow, what a concept! A stubby thrower! Performance is great too.
I just can not do that UI! No way.
I don't care how modes are changed but a fist-sized light (one handed size) like this must have at least a rear, clicking, lock-on-off switch IMO. This would be my next light if it did.

Thanks selfbuilt!

amraspalantir

Newly Enlightened
The UI and battery is the downer to me for this otherwise outstanding light. The impressive output and throw
for this size couldnt outweigh the funky UI and dedicated battery type. If they come up with a better rear switch as
jhc said then i could live with the battery type. Staying on the fence for now.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
"The UI and battery is the downer to me"

Just so you know, 26650 batteries can be found other places...like batteryspace or lighthound for example. There's really nothing proprietary about them, they just aren't as common as 18650s, or 123s.

amraspalantir

Newly Enlightened
im a "common battery" type of guy hence my remarks.:) but if the UI wasnt funky i could live with the batt.
lets see what comes next. also i noticed the tk35 corona seems to be more diffused and even per selfbuilt's gif.
a better beam profile to me.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the UI is my only complaint with this light. The output (especially once you mod it to direct drive and disable the thermal management) is fantastic. Three levels with a forward clicky and maybe a neutral option would make this a perfect light to me.

BTW, it's VERY easy to use 18650s in this light. You really don't even need a sleeve (but you can easily make a sleeve out of cardboard, rubber hose, or PVC to name a few) to do it but that would be the correct way. I pop one in mine with or without a sleeve from time to time and it works perfectly. I don't know why this is never mentioned. I've tried 18500, 26500, and even an IMR16340 in it just for shits and giggles. But yes, it's perfectly happy running on quality 18650s.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey now thats good to hear.i have a bunch of 18650's here. thanks for the info.

Just make sure they are happy with a 3A draw. Any quality cell will be fine. I have used Redilast 2900s and AW IMR18650s in mine. The cells are the right length and they supply the right voltage and amperage so your X10 will never notice the difference other than shorter runtime of course.

blub

Enlightened
I love my X10, this thing is perfect for the way I use lights, and it will fit in my pocket without too much bulk on a walk and great throw for the size, out throws my TK35, not by a lot, but it does. I usually only use a flashlight for a few seconds at a time anyway and if I need it on longer, it's no big deal to twist the tailcap. I've had it for about a month, gone on a hike with it, use it every night to check out the neighborhood and the battery hasn't needed recharging yet. My new favorite and great to know it'll take 18650s in a pinch.