4Sevens Quark AA-2 X and 123-2 X Review (XM-L): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and more!

BWX

Enlightened
I don't need any more flashlights, but I want that Quark X AA2! Awesome output/runtime on high mode!! Great max output for a 2AA light on Turbo Mode too.

mmace1

Enlightened
I don't need any more flashlights, but I want that Quark X AA2! Awesome output/runtime on high mode!!

Describes my situation exactly, probably a lot of people's here actually! I mean...I already have an EDC light. I have a light for travel (Quark mini 2xAA). But this light, wow...almost 400 lumens in 2xAA! That would be neat when taking walks...except my TK41 does twice that and is not too heavy for walks anyway so what am I talking about...

Though I *could* use the .6 setting to view my hamsters at night. Would be better than the 3 lumens from the Quark mini. That's my justification, occasional hamster viewing.

abladeafficionado

Newly Enlightened
Has anybody had any issues with 17670s in the 123^2 X?

I've noticed some people have mentioned it being a tight fit, and having to remove the silver label, but can anybody confirm this? I'd assume that the few people that have mentioned it being a problem are the only ones that comment, while those with it working fine don't say anything because it hasn't occurred to them.

I'm getting ready to retire the Quark AA from EDC and adopt the 123^2 X as my new EDC, but want to make sure the 17670 fits fine before I get one.

scot

Newly Enlightened
I've got a 123-2 X and 11 AW 17670s lying around the house. Every cell fits fine without taking the label off. Other brands may have a problem, but I don't have any other brands to try.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Has anybody had any issues with 17670s in the 123^2 X?
Between variants and replacements, I've had five different Q123-2 bodies, and all could take my single AW 17670 cell (although two were a bit tight, and needed some minor force to get in or out). None of them required what I would consider an unreasonable amount of force.

peter5812

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Selfbuilt, the quark x aa2 was my first purchase after joining CPF and reading this review. I think this quark is a great utility light because of the large beam and flood, also I realize how cool and useful a multi mode flashlight can be for different task. It was also hard to believe the small size of this flashlight can be that bright.

abladeafficionado

Newly Enlightened
Between variants and replacements, I've had five different Q123-2 bodies, and all could take my single AW 17670 cell (although two were a bit tight, and needed some minor force to get in or out). None of them required what I would consider an unreasonable amount of force.
Thanks! I'll have to get one.

js82

Newly Enlightened
Hi Selfbuilt. Thanks for the awesome review again.

Would it be possible for you to put up your lumens figures for the other output levels as well? Like low, medium, and high. I'm wondering whether there's also a large difference in the actual lumens figures you get for those other levels compared to 4seven's figures, like on turbo (400 vs 280).

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
With 2x AW rcr123's is the graph showing the correct Est. Min. Lightbox Lumens of 2.3 or is it supposed to be .23?
Ah, you mean the table? That was a typo I fixed early on, but your browser cache probably kept the original table image (I used the same file name). I've just renamed the image and updated the review, so it should be showing up correctly now (as 0.22 lumens estimate).

Would it be possible for you to put up your lumens figures for the other output levels as well? Like low, medium, and high. I'm wondering whether there's also a large difference in the actual lumens figures you get for those other levels compared to 4seven's figures, like on turbo (400 vs 280).
I've only estimated ANSI FL-1 lumens for RCR, but I get the following:

Q123-2 X Turbo: 520 estimated lumens
Q123-2 X Hi: 205 estimated lumens
Q123-2 X Med: 45 estimated lumens
Q123-2 X Lo: 2.5 estimated lumens
Q123-2 X Moonlight: 0.22 estimated lumens

As you can see, the other levels aren't too far off the reported 4Sevens specs.

weez82

Enlightened
Ah, you mean the table? That was a typo I fixed early on, but your browser cache probably kept the original table image (I used the same file name). I've just renamed the image and updated the review, so it should be showing up correctly now (as 0.22 lumens estimate).

Yeah, meant to type table not graph. And just cleared my cache. Now it's showing correctly. Thanks selfbuilt :)

js82

Newly Enlightened
Ah, you mean the table? That was a typo I fixed early on, but your browser cache probably kept the original table image (I used the same file name). I've just renamed the image and updated the review, so it should be showing up correctly now (as 0.22 lumens estimate). I've only estimated ANSI FL-1 lumens for RCR, but I get the following:Q123-2 X Turbo: 520 estimated lumensQ123-2 X Hi: 205 estimated lumensQ123-2 X Med: 45 estimated lumensQ123-2 X Lo: 2.5 estimated lumensQ123-2 X Moonlight: 0.22 estimated lumensAs you can see, the other levels aren't too far off the reported 4Sevens specs.
Thanks for those figures, selfbuilt!

Xak

Enlightened
The step-down feature after 3 mins on Turbo is a reasonable upgrade to the circuit. This is something I am seeing more and more often among XM-L lights, and it makes good thermal sense (especially in the case of small lights such as these). You can always restore max initial output by simply turning the light off-on or switching the bezel to low/tight, but I don't recommend you do that on small mass lights.

Do you happen to know if any in the ThruNite Neutron series has this feature?

Buckeye

Enlightened
I just ordered the Quark X 2AA. Selbuilt, I was wondering if the Quark X 2AA head would be brighter on Max if the head was put on a 123-2 body running an 17670 battery. The Quark X 2AA review is based on 2AA batteries that are 3.0 V. I have wondered about this on all Quark 1AA and 2AA flashlights since the 17670 batteries are 4.2 V and the specs for the 1AA and 2AA say they can handle up to 4.2 V. I realize there is the danger of forgetting which head is on the body and trying to use 2 123a batteries. :poof:
If you could try it and report. No need to do a full battery drain test.
Thanks,
Buckeye

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I just ordered the Quark X 2AA. Selbuilt, I was wondering if the Quark X 2AA head would be brighter on Max if the head was put on a 123-2 body running an 17670 battery.
The QAA2-X head will work fine on one 3.7V Li-ion battery (4.2V nominal). If you check out my original Quark review you will see this comparison graph:

QuarkLi-ion.gif

The QAA, QAA-2 and Q123 all use the same head, and it works just fine on 1x14500/RCR/17670, etc. I don't think it is officially supported by 4Sevens, but it seems to run fine in my testing.

The only real danger of running this head on the Q123-2 body is forgeting it is there and using 2x sources (as you pointed out).

excfenix

Newly Enlightened
Awesome review. Mad props.I'll be getting my Quark X 123-2 very soon.

However, I'm wondering about the potential pitfalls of using the R17670 for such prolonged period. Any thoughts on this? (ie temperature, etc). I'm new to flashlights and batteries.