4Sevens Quark Mini CR2 Review: RUNTIMES, PICS, and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
i'm pretty impressed with the cr2 mini! is there going to be any more battery comparisons? just wanted to see how a sf cr123 held up in the same application. from what i've seen in run time charts so far, it seems that surefires and 4sevens brand batteries are about the top... but i also know its dependent on the light itself.
I'm afraid that's it for the CR2 battery tests (it's all I've had on hand).

FYI, I did compare a number of CR123A cells a while back, in a number of 1xCR123A lights:
CR123A Comparison Review: 4Sevens, Titanium Innovations, Tenergy, Surefire, Duracell

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't plan to do a Lo mode test, as I would expect several days runtime at least.

Two tests on the same Cr2 MiNi light with 4Sevens batteries in this thread show a low runtime of about 25 hrs. A bit off from the claim of 3.8 days. Maybe he got a dud? It would be nice to see another light tested on low.

Back again! 53hrs. in, the Titan and tasklight still going strong. MiNi died about 9am this morning, 2.15v on my meter. This was the second running for the MiNi, first was 25hrs. and this time was 24.5hrs. I had my hopes up for round two, but not so much... Still a nice run, but not close to rated time. Both with NIB 4Sevens cells... Who knows. ...

HKJ

Flashaholic
Two tests on the same Cr2 MiNi light with 4Sevens batteries in this thread show a low runtime of about 25 hrs. A bit off from the claim of 3.8 days. Maybe he got a dud? It would be nice to see another light tested on low.

I am not going to do a runtime test, but a current measurement shows 36 mA with a nearly fresh CR2 battery, this gives a rough estimate of 21 hours runtime.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not going to do a runtime test, but a current measurement shows 36 mA with a nearly fresh CR2 battery, this gives a rough estimate of 21 hours runtime.

33.4mA here with a 4-7 battery that measures 60% on a ZTS. The 4-7s brand battery is labeled 900mAh but I think that is a bit optimistic. Duracell CR2 is 800mAh.
:sigh:

scout24

Flashaholic
My low level runtimes were done with NIB shrink wrapped 4Sevens CR2's, bought when I got my Ti MiNi CR2 a couple months ago... I am not heartbroken with 24hr. runtime on low, but would like to know if the 3.8 day runs were done using these or another cell. It was let run until it turned off both times, not down to an arbitrary level. There was quite a bit of dimming, but still usable light until shutdown... :candle:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just looked at the paperwork that came with my Warm CR2 MiNi and it says the runtime is 1.2 days on low. The website still says 3.8 days so I guess that was a misprint.

There is also something weird in the paperwork, it says the Preon II warm has a medium of 15 lm and the CR2 Mini warm med is 28lm. Both of mine look identical in bounces tests and both are clearly brighter than the Mini AA warm rated at 18 lm. The Lumen values in the paperwork have been adjusted for the lower spec warm emitters, but they have not been adjusted on the website. You would think fixing the website would be a couple min job.

I think there are an awful lot of misprints, for a company that has "Design Philosophy #8 - Always OUT THE FRONT Ratings"

***SELFBUILT for President: "Runtime and Brightness you can believe in!"***

Last edited:

abras

Newly Enlightened
So how about these ones:

[hotlinked advert removed - DM51]

Could one use them on High for short periods of time ?
Let's say 20-30 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:

nativecajun

Newly Enlightened
I did not know what Cave dave was saying. But after a third time through reading I can say it a little less tactifully than the representitive. I think your remark was very uniformed, ignorant and insulting. I do not know how long the 4sevens batteries have been out, but to acess that in two years they would be no good. On what technical expertise do you found this on? I trust 4sevens more than a lot of other companies out there. I have there batteries and they work fine. I do not know the person who used his cheap multimeter to test three batteries. Do you know how little those points beyond the three volts mean. Not much in my books. They are advertised as three volt and it seems that everyone meets those standards just fine. A liscenced electrical contractor speaking here chattanooga Liscence # R-199 Cant remember my other three from different counties and cities. But I have little knowledge of batteries. Only to say I have a hunch that you are in the same boat. But my educated guess may be a little more than yours.

Regards,
Daniel

I see that you just measured the batteries and made no comment at to their shelf life or that none should stock up on them beyond a year or so's worth. It only looks like Cave daves is the only one so bold as to make such statements with such limited technoligical proof as to his claims.

My appoligies tl you, but I do not remember your username but you know who you are. The one that tested the three batteries with his multimeter. And it depends on your multimeter and how cheap I think you said it was there could be a varient between tests with no fault of the batteries. Measure them with a fluke then give you input.
Cave dave - the 18 hr rating was a typo. It needs to be fixed.

I find it shocking that you would make a negative recommendation based on a "hunch." I think you'd be surprised at the reputable brands our factory also makes batteries for. Unfortunately I not at liberty to disclose.

I personally take offense that you'd write off our batteries in one sweeping comment based on a hunch. We searched for extensively and spent quite a bit of resources interviewing and auditing factories before we chose our current manufacturer. We also tested our batteries extensively.

Last edited:

nativecajun

Newly Enlightened
If you have such a fettish about picking on 4sevens why don't you go away and buy someone elses products that you think are superior rather than pick on others weak points just as if you were this man :devil:
Maybe I just do not know you well enough. So if you have never made a mistake in your life or run a company perfectly, I suppose you should quit making an :whoopin: out of yourself.
I own that little Quark Mini CR2 and run them on the 4sevens batteries. They both work fine. The light is great. I do not take a jewlers loup to my flashlights. My threads must be tighter than others on this site because they work beautifully. For a light you do not know that is in your pocket that little thing can be a get up to go --- p-- at night or be a small search light. What a great two products and I commend 4sevens on makeing them available to us with such a modest price point. Now if you would not have tempted me with that little ReVo with its out of this world runtime on low. Well put it this way i had it in my basket three times this morning. But I just bought a few very needed essentials lately so that beautiful ReVo will have to wait. Unless someone has a discount code hidden somewhere.

Many kind Regards to 4sevens

I just looked at the paperwork that came with my Warm CR2 MiNi and it says the runtime is 1.2 days on low. The website still says 3.8 days so I guess that was a misprint.

There is also something weird in the paperwork, it says the Preon II warm has a medium of 15 lm and the CR2 Mini warm med is 28lm. Both of mine look identical in bounces tests and both are clearly brighter than the Mini AA warm rated at 18 lm. The Lumen values in the paperwork have been adjusted for the lower spec warm emitters, but they have not been adjusted on the website. You would think fixing the website would be a couple min job.

I think there are an awful lot of misprints, for a company that has "Design Philosophy #8 - Always OUT THE FRONT Ratings"

***SELFBUILT for President: "Runtime and Brightness you can believe in!"***

Last edited by a moderator:

lumenati

Newly Enlightened
If you have such a fettish about picking on 4sevens why don't you bugger off and buy someone elses products that you think are superior rather than pick on others weak points just as if you were this man :devil:
Maybe I just do not know you well enough. So if you have never made a mistake in your life or run a company perfectly, I suppose you should quit making an :whoopin: out of yourself.

Cave dave hasn't written anything on this thread since last June, so I'm not sure how soon he will respond, or if he chooses to, but please, a little respect. He has been on this forum for nine years with over 3500 posts. He is OTF with his comments and the truth hurts sometimes but I believe he is just trying to keep everyone grounded.

I like 4Seven's lights. I've purchased six in the last year and I believe them to be among the best and in some cases the best that is out there. The company has some flaws, as do all, but I think they try harder than most to overcome them and thus are more sensitive to criticism. But even gold shines more when polished.

No one likes to be criticized but a wise person will search it for truth. (Your criticism included.)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks for drawing the revised spec (and runtime tests) to my attention. I see the website now lists the runtime as 1.2 days on low, so have edited the spec list in the review to match.

So how about these ones:
As 3.0V batteries, I would think these would do fine. If circuit performance matches the other Mini lights, it is just 3.7V cells that would be expected to be a lot brighter (and hot).

DM51

Flashaholic
Please keep this thread on topic. 1 post has been removed and 2 others edited; some others are marginal.

This is about the light, NOT about batteries.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The thread discussions for the last few months have been fully restored from the search engine cache data (thank you tandem!).

Please carry on! :)

nativecajun

Newly Enlightened
Well, my conclusion is not that it shouldn't be run on RCR2 - just that it shouldn't be run on Hi. :) And if you do run it on Med/Lo, be mindful of not running down your unprotected RCR2 cells. Should be safe enough as long as people keep that in mind.

As for not testing on RCR2, the simple answer is that I don't have any RCR2 cells. :sssh: Since this was only the second CR2-based light I've received, I haven't had a chance to pick any up. But if I get in any more new lights in, I may give AW's RCR2 a shot ... and go back and re-test the EZCR2 and Mini CR2.

No review for the CR2 Muyshohndt AEON? I keep that one and the Mini CR2 and a extra Battery, the ones for a buck that beat most of the rest. And I must be the luckiest one to buy a mini CR2 because my threads were tight when new and had to go through a break in period. It has gone off without on flaw or hitch since I bought it. I do have better lights than the mini, one beeing the Muyshondt mentioned then the HDS Clicky Executive. I leave it on the night stand because of its weight. Well I already wrote more than I set out to . My cudos to 4sevens on that little CR2. My favorite little pocket light.

Just realized ths is an old thread. Oh well I still like my little lights.

Last edited:

Colinsdad

Newly Enlightened
Since I didn't read about RCRs, I figured I'd add my 2 cents.

I carry one of these in a warm emitter configuration with RCR-charging them is a snap, with long magnets used to fit in any charger. I'm guessing this light puts out over 300 emitter lumens on high. And yes, I use that level sparingly because it gets real warm, real quick! I purchased a pocket clip from lighthound.com and thus configured has been my EDC for over a year. Great little light!!

Last edited:

Latest posts