5 Watt KL3 mod

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks CM,

I will probably take you up on your nice offer - actually so far I should have pretty much everything on the way RSN - a KL3 to go on a G2 with AN14 extension (so 3 123 cells and a 1/2 123 dummy I did for lemlux should fit) and the 5W group buy Luxeons should be on the way soon too. Now until everything gets here it will take a bit.

Until then I can work on getting enough force built up to unscrew those glewed together ARC and SF heads - or maybe find the right tool for it
grin.gif

Oh and don´t forget those pics and beamshots and runtime data
rolleyes.gif

Thanks

Klaus

Raven

Enlightened
Would a 5 watt ls be a good conversion for either a C or D maglite?

Raven

CiTY

Enlightened
CM,
It would be great to see pictures of your handy work. Maybe a picture of the insides of the KL3 and the work you did too. Someday I hope to be doing the same.
smile.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now working on a KL1
grin.gif
. This one's not as pretty as it suffered from my first (inexperienced) mod attempt. I got it lit up. Just gotta put it back together. This one's only 2.4 Watts, not enough mass in body to deal with thermal issues so I derated it 50%. KL1 is tricker to figure out circuit wise. There's a lot more parts in there, plus there's many ways to "skin the SEPIC cat" and they took a novel scheme that I have yet to understand. Just know enough where to set the bias and disable the voltage limiting to drive the 5Watter

Peter Gransee took a picture of the KL3 for me, thanks Peter. Not very exciting as it looks, er, well, just like a KL3. It does show how little damage it suffered. I will post as soon as I can, also will get a camera this weekend for some beamshots, maybe run time if I can finish other work in progress. I gotta crying baby to attend to, see ya.

CM

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a personal web space to host pictures. Is there a way to upload pictures here? I realize this is a newbie question but I couldn't find anyting in the FAQ.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
To any moderators, should this topic be moved to the homemade and modified lights? Please feel free to do so. Thanks,

CM