Fenix HP25 battery pack change / mod questions

TristanJ

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, I have a Fenix HP25 which I personally think is the bee's knees, all except battery life.... This thing eats batteries like they are going out of style.

I recently began thinking that I might change the battery pack to rechargeable lithium ion, but am concerned that the standard 3.7V will kill the electronics when installed in series (7.4V) as it is designed to run 4 alkalines in series for a max of about 6.4V.

Does anyone happen to know what input voltage the regulator on this headlight will take? Does anyone know the usage current when both LEDs are on full setting? Anyone done this mod before?

I found some rechargeable Li-Ions in Jaycar today that were 3.2V, but the energy density made them no better option than the Eneloop Pros at about 3W. I have thought about going with a setup of 4 18650s which will give me about 4 times the capacity of the Eneloops but then I have to mess about with custom making a housing (and potentially regulating them if the standard Fenix regulator won't handle it).

This headlamp is perfect for my use as i really love the flood beam for close up work, and at about $70 bucks it was not cheap. I really don't want to kill it with too much voltage.

If it works out that the only option is a new housing, I'll draw up the CAD files and stick them up on CPF for anyone who wants to get one printed.

Cheers!

Tristan.