Re: 500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos)

@Derek_Dean, @calflash, @hazna, @easilyled

Thank you for the feedback.
Much appreciated.

Grytpype

Newly Enlightened

[angry rant]
It's sad that you have resorted to such patronising and abusive attacks on me for expressing doubts about your claims. All I'm seeing so far, apart from the attempts by you and a couple of your more vocal supporters to shout me down, is a series of "possible", "could be" and "maybe" type statements about this project.

It's no good making wild and extravagant claims and then doing a wishy-washy CYA exercise by saying it's all still in the planning stage. If you claim something, you should be in a position to validate it, as BoarHunter says above.

DM51

Flashaholic

It's sad that you have resorted to such patronising and abusive attacks on me for expressing doubts about your claims. All I'm seeing so far, apart from the attempts by you and a couple of your more vocal supporters to shout me down, is a series of "possible", "could be" and "maybe" type statements about this project.

It's no good making wild and extravagant claims and then doing a wishy-washy CYA exercise by saying it's all still in the planning stage. If you claim something, you should be in a position to validate it, as BoarHunter says above.
Grytpype... you have made your point, and although you have been rather more polite than others here, it might be a good idea for you to bow out of this thread for the time being, as the OP has requested.

To others... keep this civil, and stop the personal attacks.

Craig K

Enlightened

I just want to say to the_guy_with_no_name good luck and I hope your light turns out to be great.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why don't you simply answer the questions asked, stating the figures and formulas used to validate your design ?
Technology is about facts, numbers, formulas, measures, schematics, tests ... not wishes, feelings, charisma !
This is for the salesman, to convince the buyer. This latter part you managed properly by the count of your admirers but it doesn't validate the design !
As far as I am concerned, Grytpype has a rational approach and voice proper concerns.

Anyway, good luck, I have to go back to my pet project, the design of a 1000 lumen flashlight powered by a button cell ! :)

Dearest BoarHunter,

I have answered the questions based on the current status.
Technology is about progress,
progress is about innovation
and innovation comes from asking "what if?".

As mentioned for the umpteenth time,
we are currently exploring the available technologies to determine,
what the thresholds could/should be, based on the stated goals,
what tradeoff's may need to be made to achieve them,
and whether those tradeoff's are worth the final outcome.

Whilst that is underway, the contributions from the members that have offered feedback, preferences and advice,
will be (and continue to be) valuable in making the last call on what the final spec will be for version one.

The numbers, formulas, measures you speak of are all freely available.
With just a little diligence on your part, you can find out for yourself the specs & limitations as defined by Cree for the XM-L,
as you can for the different power supplies, etc.

When I get solid confirmation from my team on the various aspects of feasibility and spec, I will post updates accordingly.
Until that time, I don't intend to make up numbers beyond stating what the target is.

I recommend that you read post 177, slowly. Rules of participation.
If you have not read the thread that was the precursor to this one, you should,
and in addition read this one from the beginning.

You will then clearly also understand that this did not start as a sales thread, nor is it yet.
I had updated details including a "target price" based on the requests of other members.

No matter the outcome, I have already put my money on the table and am committed to creating the Torpedo,
because I want one, and thats good enough for me.

When I have the first prototype in my hands, you can bet I'll be posting lots more information.

The final production spec, I'll decide that based on the results of the R&D team, and the input from everyone here.

Have a great day!

tgwnn

scottyhazzard

Enlightened

To the core questions-
Primarily I would use IMR but like the ability to fall back on NiMh and alkaline
I like the power levels with the exception of the mid levels. 85-100 lumens is a good level of light to me for in & out door work but I would also like a 200-300 lumen level for outside work.
The clip & ability to drop it in my pocket and if I choose to pop 500 lumens for a burst... Oh momma! So what if it might disrupt the sub-space field and cause a rip in the time-space continuum! I want that option! :cool: :poof:

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mods:
Maybe this thread should be moved to "Homemade flashlight" subforum
and the title is quite confusing where people think there is already a 500lm AAA light
Thanks

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

May the OP update the currently designed spec for the light so that we can catch up?
Meant by
Driver
Emitter
Battery chemistry
No of Modes

For now, the core spec target is still as originally stated.

Driver: Custom
Emitter: Cree XM-L
Battery Target: Alkaline, Ni-MH, Li-ion
No of Modes: 4

The final mode outputs in version 1, may be adjusted based on runtime/heat/discharge tests and feedback from everybody here.
If the target specs change, I will update the first post to reflect that.

Thank you.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

So I take it there's precedent here of someone having presented themselves as a 1st time custom builder with a project idea that got everyone riled up for pages on end, only to disappear without having ever followed through with anything (whether it lived up to initial specs or not)? It'd be a great troll no doubt. I just didn't realize it has ever happened here at all, much less to the extent that we'd be instantly suspicious. Especially of someone who's already been a member a couple of years. Though it only occurs to me now that was a recurring problem in the Atari 2600 forum- BIg talks of potential projects by supposed 1st time homebrewers were eventually not taken seriously at all. Just never heard of it happening here.

Grytpype- because maybe if the 500l thing is the only real problem you have with this being discussed, would you just accept that it was only thrown out there just as part of idea phase, subject to change, even pre R&D etc.? It doesn't sound like many people, even TGWNN, are counting on that happening anyway. Pretty much everyone wants something less.

Serious business.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0eyfmbqIJA&feature=related

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic

the title is quite confusing where people think there is already a 500lm AAA light
@ OP: I rather agree with this. Perhaps you would consider renaming the thread to make it clear this is a project or WIP, not an existing item.

I also think the thread may belong in H&M or CB&M instead of LED Flashlights; I'm open to your suggestion on this.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

[baiting post removed - DM51]

Last edited by a moderator:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

To the core questions-
Primarily I would use IMR but like the ability to fall back on NiMh and alkaline
I like the power levels with the exception of the mid levels. 85-100 lumens is a good level of light to me for in & out door work but I would also like a 200-300 lumen level for outside work.
The clip & ability to drop it in my pocket and if I choose to pop 500 lumens for a burst... Oh momma! So what if it might disrupt the sub-space field and cause a rip in the time-space continuum! I want that option! :cool: :poof:

Thank you

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mods:
Maybe this thread should be moved to "Homemade flashlight" subforum
and the title is quite confusing where people think there is already a 500lm AAA light
Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

@ OP: I rather agree with this. Perhaps you would consider renaming the thread to make it clear this is a project or WIP, not an existing item.

I also think the thread may belong in H&M or CB&M instead of LED Flashlights; I'm open to your suggestion on this.

Adding WIP to the title is fine, feel free to choose one:
500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress
500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Planning Phase

I'd be happy to update post #1 too, adding "Current Stage: Feasibility Verification" or something similar & obvious to the top.

Regarding the H&M or CB&M,
Im not building this at home, rather development is being done in a professional facility, with competence in machining, electronics & optics.
As it is a LED Flashlight, and as long as there is no violation of CPF terms, my preference is to keep it here.

Thanks,
tgwnn

lightseeker2009

Enlightened

You must not stop at AAA's I would like to own a 500L AA flashlight. 4 levels like you plan with the AAA will also be good.
2, 60, 200, 500. It would be just awesome

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Volvo's have their place for sure,
but I'm more of a Porsche guy.

And here you are dropping twin turbos and a 300 shot of NOS into that flat 6. Oh yeah....now we're talking.

I don't care if it's possible. I know I'm going to enjoy watching you figure it out!

DM51

Flashaholic

Regarding the H&M or CB&M,
Im not building this at home, rather development is being done in a professional facility, with competence in machining, electronics & optics.
As it is a LED Flashlight, and as long as there is no violation of CPF terms, my preference is to keep it here.
Thanks for dealing with the title - I think that is more appropriate.

As the light doesn't yet exist, the thread doesn't really belong in LED Flashlights. I've moved it to CB&M.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

So I take it there's precedent here of someone having presented themselves as a 1st time custom builder with a project idea that got everyone riled up for pages on end, only to disappear without having ever followed through with anything (whether it lived up to initial specs or not)? It'd be a great troll no doubt. I just didn't realize it has ever happened here at all, much less to the extent that we'd be instantly suspicious. Especially of someone who's already been a member a couple of years. Though it only occurs to me now that was a recurring problem in the Atari 2600 forum- BIg talks of potential projects by supposed 1st time homebrewers were eventually not taken seriously at all. Just never heard of it happening here.

Grytpype- because maybe if the 500l thing is the only real problem you have with this being discussed, would you just accept that it was only thrown out there just as part of idea phase, subject to change, even pre R&D etc.? It doesn't sound like many people, even TGWNN, are counting on that happening anyway. Pretty much everyone wants something less.

Serious business.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0eyfmbqIJA&feature=related

Leon, you are such a conspiracy theorist :) Gotta love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.