500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Re: 500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos)

I suggest using aspheric lens rather than parabolic reflector
-Thicker aspheric lens = less dist. between led and lens due to a larger diffraction index
=> More space for heatsink
=> Loss of light flux is less
=> More throw

I have read that with an Aspheric lens, up to 50% of overall output can be lost depending on the diameter of the Aspheric lens.

You may be confusing an Aspheric lens with a TIR optic.
They are not the same thing.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep, the xml throws the light in a ~130 degree angle. Put a tiny asperic in front of it, and you will loose lots of lumens. Prob more than 50% in this small scale.

JS_280

Newly Enlightened
Keep it simple. Don't try and make it a dedicated thrower then it's more desirable to all types of folk.

I agree, this is a keychain light...I would prefer a basic LOP type reflector.

Looking forward to picking up two of these!

hazna

Enlightened

I'm really intrigued by this concept light, I've subscribe to mailing list and if the price remains ~$65 or under, I'll commit to one.

I guess the main barrier to overcome would be the heat generated. Any idea on what the dimensions for this light? Is it going to be a lot larger than AAA lights? I'm also a bit concerned about the reliability of 'loosen to turn' on lights, especially if you going to have 4 modes. I hope you do significant R&D to perfect the UI.

choppedeos-tgwnn.png

I like what you've done with that itp! Is it difficult to operate one-handed, with such a small body segment?

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

I suggest using aspheric lens rather than parabolic reflector
-Thicker aspheric lens = less dist. between led and lens due to a larger diffraction index
=> More space for heatsink
=> Loss of light flux is less
=> More throw

Thanks for the suggestion.

As mentioned by easilyled & jorn
an aspheric is probably not the best fit for the XM-L in this small a package,
though I realize we all have our own individual preferences.

In this small a package, an emitter like the XP-G/E may be the better choice with an aspheric,
but for now, as it seems most people prefer flood to throw at this size,
I will go with a reflector in version 1, unless by some miracle,
the perfect TIR lens shows up in the next few weeks.

tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm really intrigued by this concept light, I've subscribe to mailing list and if the price remains ~$65 or under, I'll commit to one.

I guess the main barrier to overcome would be the heat generated. Any idea on what the dimensions for this light? Is it going to be a lot larger than AAA lights? I'm also a bit concerned about the reliability of 'loosen to turn' on lights, especially if you going to have 4 modes. I hope you do significant R&D to perfect the UI.

I like what you've done with that itp! Is it difficult to operate one-handed, with such a small body segment?

Thanks for the feedback.

For everyone's convenience, I had added target dimensions to the first post recently...
with AAA Body = 65mm Long, 14mm diameter
with 10280 Body = 47.5mm Long, 14mm diameter

I may add some more info to that first post as things progress and if warranted.

>concerned about the reliability of 'loosen to turn' on lights
there are a few possible ways to do it with the modes.
both reliability and ease of use are of high importance and I will update more on the details when available.

>I like what you've done with that itp!
Usually if I hold it in the syringe grip, I can get momentary with just one hand, by pushing firmly on the tail end.
twisting is usually a 2 handed affair as there is not very much to hold on to, but for the size (or lack of) it stays fairly un-noticeable on my keychain.

tgwnn

BoarHunter

Newly Enlightened

500 lumens out of a single AAA, how did you validate the design ?

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

500 lumens out of a single AAA, how did you validate the design ?

Thanks for asking.
The Torpedo is currently still in the R&D phase and there are many issues to work through as has been mentioned.
Please keep in mind also, as previously noted that 500 lumens will be a short burst mode and exact duration/specs are still under test.

I have shared prototype images and spec targets as some people had requested to see more and Im glad to have everyone's feedback.

For now, still finalizing the feasibility of the driver requirements at the required size.
Once the driver is tested the body design (mainly sizing) can be completed, first prototype created,
and then verification of modes and operation in the actual body.

twgnn

mrlysle

Enlightened

Well, I too, love the little guys. I've read this thread through from cover to cover and subscribed via tgwnn's link. I'm in for at least two, and don't really care what the final output is. I'd stick an L92 in it anyway probably. Love the concept and the determination to see something through like this. tgwnn, best of luck to you, and I hope someday your as well known as Surefire! Gettin' really stoked up about this little light! :devil:
P.S. and a copper or Ti would put me over the edge! I'd wanna buy stock in your company! :hitit:

stoli67

Enlightened

Thanks stoli,
btw, whats your favorite AAA at the moment?

@Zvi
Thank you
I still love my run 1Ti LF2XT the best

After that my LD01 on lithium cell.... Rock solid and very bright.

After that in my EDC rotation I as use a Lumna Ti

I am very excited about an XML AAA light though....

Please put me down for one !

Can we order yet?

Stoli

Last edited:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I too, love the little guys. I've read this thread through from cover to cover and subscribed via tgwnn's link. I'm in for at least two, and don't really care what the final output is. I'd stick an L92 in it anyway probably. Love the concept and the determination to see something through like this. tgwnn, best of luck to you, and I hope someday your as well known as Surefire! Gettin' really stoked up about this little light! :devil:
P.S. and a copper or Ti would put me over the edge! I'd wanna buy stock in your company! :hitit:

Thank you mrlysle! I really appreciate the kind words of support.
Actually I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished prototype myself:)

Once the basics are confirmed, I will definitely consider a run of either Ti or Copper as long as there is enough demand to warrant it.

tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am in for a Ti !

Thanks Stoli,

The Ti LF2XT looks like a great light too.
I'd consider chopping one like my ITP but somehow I dont think I could bring myself to destroy a Ti light in that way.

tgwnn

beerwax

Enlightened

beer want torpedo beer want torpedo

Last edited:

uknewbie

Banned

Even if the 500 lumen mode was for 30 seconds, I still think it is a nice feature to have in a tiny light. That said, the keep loosening for higher modes could be great if done properly.

Lots of potential this light, but like you say, still theory just now. I think heat is the major problem here. I have 200 lumen AAA lights that can scold you within a minute of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.