5W Cyclops - The Real Incandescent Killer - Edited

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
5w SE?!!!
I have been gone for a month now and find out that I missed the 1w SE buy from Lambda
frown.gif
Now the 5 watt SE monster is showing up, maybe being gone was a good thing! I will be leaving again in a few days for two weeks, but will be dreaming of the 5 watt cyclops showing up in the future. Good job, Lambda...my greatest hope is that I will be around when (and if) the 5 watt monster becomes available. Let us know.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
BentHeadTX,

Better take a lap top and watch b/s/t over the next couple weeks.........

Zephyr

Enlightened
Lambda,

Surely you can count me in again for another run of Cyclops. Tomrrow I will be leaving for a camping trip and I will thoroughly play, I mean testing your 1W Cyclops SE. Oh, and BTW, I just finished with my second set of batteries and going for my third one tomrrow. So far, it's still bright and working like new. I just compared it to a 3D Mag with brand new Duracell batteries just a few minutes ago and this thing surely is a contender to incandescent flashlight. This thing is amazing!!!!

ZEPH

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
>>Better take a lap top and watch b/s/t over the next couple weeks.........<<

Lambda,
True, true... need to keep up with this fast paced world of mods. How much do you think the mod will cost? Will it be offered as a drop-in or a complete light? Will my wife beat me to death with a 5W SE Cyclops? 8)

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
BentHeadTX,

I can send a helmet to deal with the wife.........

I've been working away on a universal heatsink. Just started making some of the final design, and may have some available next week. One great feature is there will be no more guess work about centering the Luxeon. There will be a recess machined into the face of the heatsink to center the Luxeon properly.

As for a drop in, I've thought and thought on that subject. The big draw back is the reflector will still need to be cut down to size. And if someone can do that, they should also be able to do the wiring, and mount the Luxeon and heatsink.

1W Cyclops kits may be available next week in limited quantities. The 5W parts are still scarce, and availability of lights or kits depends on availability of parts. Right now, most of the 5W I have are in test lights already, and will eventually go to b/s/t.

Prices yet to be determined, but shouldn't break the bank.......

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
lambda, did you sell the flashlight? if so, how much? it keeps my mouth watering.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just an update.

I've reached the 30 battery pack change mark in the 5W test unit, and so far no problems, and no hint of it loosing it's brightness.

Also, no problems reported from those CPF members who have 5W test units either.

I'm thinking these will be good to go soon.......

Wulong

Newly Enlightened
Kevin,

A few of questions about the Cyclops mods:

1)Are you still doing anything with the 1W SE, or any setup that will allow the use of C cells?

2)For those of us wanting to avoid Maglites, do the larger Brinkmann Legends work out for the SE mods? Are the reflectors suitable?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah!
Here comes the monsters... my wife may be a little pissed about this one though
grin.gif
BB500, Mini-LGI and now a Cyclops? Good thing the Arc AAA LE is backordered until March.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Wulong:
Kevin,

A few of questions about the Cyclops mods:

1)Are you still doing anything with the 1W SE, or any setup that will allow the use of C cells?

Yes, Cyclops 1W SE is alive and well.

2)For those of us wanting to avoid Maglites, do the larger Brinkmann Legends work out for the SE mods? Are the reflectors suitable?

Brinkman D cells can be used for the 5W, but 3C cells don't quite fit for the 1W. Also, the switch is not momentary on like the Mag, but must be pressed until it clicks.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've been moving my shop into some new digs and it's (of course) taking longer than planned. I hope to be back up and running by the 2nd. Much to do after work today and tomorrow, but I think it will be complete with everything mounted in its place by then.

Wulong

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by lambda:
3C cells don't quite fit for the 1W.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I thought that the original Cyclops used three C cells. Has that setup changed?

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wulong,

Yes, the 1W still uses 3C cells. I was talking about your alternate suggestion of using a donor Brinkmann Legend 2D in place of a Mag 2D.

Jefff

Enlightened
lmfao .. no .. man this is a oldie ... probaly much brighter lights out now .. thanks for the wake up