6.5" TRANSPORTER LED DRIVING LIGHT 90 WATT 10° BEAM. CTL-TPX1810

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Driving Lights used in Australia do not need to be DOT compliant.

No, they need to be ADR-compliant, which effectively means ECE-compliant.

And we're not talking about boat lights or handheld search lights. Please stick to topic.

MikeAusC

Enlightened
So you're suggesting that if someone raises a thread about a particular light and wants to use it for hunting, then talking about using that same light for climbing is off-topic ?

btw the OP doesn't mention what he wants to use it for.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I'm not "suggesting" anything. I'm advising you that everyone -- including you -- knows the difference between chicken manure and chicken salad. This is the automotive forum -- you know that, too. Attempts to nudge-nudge-wink-wink your way around the rules will not be tolerated. Neither will whining about them. Stop it now and take a moment to review the rules of the forum.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
So, anyway - The truck the light was being test mounted on isn't back from the shop yet....so, while I was waiting...does anyone have any particular advice/requests as far as what type of testing I should run on this puppy?

:D

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, anyway - The truck the light was being test mounted on isn't back from the shop yet....so, while I was waiting...does anyone have any particular advice/requests as far as what type of testing I should run on this puppy?

With/without shots.
Compare it to your headlights (on anything)
Compare it to flashlights
Try it in interesting places?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
There's a section of powerline right of way that crosses a nearby road. It gives a fairly straight line of sight for several transmission towers. The towers are pretty far apart. The specs seem to indicate that the primary area to be lit up strongly is a few hundred yards, with another few hundred yards tapering off to the 0.25 lux range.

I think that setting would give both a large field of view to illuminate with regularly spaced reference points (The towers, whatever bushes and trees, etc, are in the ROW, etc).

I can use an SR90, an S18/S12, Klarus XT20, etc for flashlight references.

So - A shot of the dark scene, with some flashlights, headlights, and the driving light.

I'll start mapping it out to get the ranges worked out/make sure I can park and set up to do this over there.

- Thanks!

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
My experience with 10 degree lights is that they aren't very good for seeing distant objects because they tend to light up the ground a lot. For seeing over ground, you'd want it up high. But for seeing through fog, you want the light far from your eyes. I have trouble seeing 0.25 lux (About a half moon) with 9 billion lumens touching the ground a few yards from my toes.

Let us know how it works, and if you don't like it - take that return they promised ;)

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I mostly want it to light up the ground in front of me, and for a 1-2 hundred yards, as it will be only used off road at reasonably slow speeds, mostly to help pick lines, get warning of deer, impending drop offs, etc.

I'm not planning on using it like a pencil beam search light, or for fog. So far, it looks like it will be mounted at bumper height, as the roof location compromises some overhead clearance we need.

The lower mounting position will decrease the ultimate distance and increase the proximal ground lighting proportionally, but that will probably work out given the intended use compromise.

And if its not going to work, back it goes.

Last edited:

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Teej
I will be very happy to see your pic's they sure do look the goods. I am sure you will be very happy with them.
I am running a 20" Vision X reflex light bar in 15deg at the moment and the quality of this light is just great. Never had a problem with it at all. It's been on my truck close to two years now.

cheers

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Hi Teej
I will be very happy to see your pic's they sure do look the goods. I am sure you will be very happy with them.
I am running a 20" Vision X reflex light bar in 15deg at the moment and the quality of this light is just great. Never had a problem with it at all. It's been on my truck close to two years now.

cheers

I'm looking forward to getting the truck back so I can do the testing. I started scouting some locations.