• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

6 volt 3S converter on high

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey guys, sorry if there is a concrete answer out there but right now my head is spinning. does anyone know what the drive current is on the 6v converter on high? I thought it was 1amp, but the several makai threads have me thinking it could also be 1.2 amps or 1.4 amps. or does it depend on the led being used?

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
bump. still not certain. i've concluded the xm-l 6v makai is 1.4 amps. but no mention of if thats limited to just that head (extra mass for heat) or led.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi tab665,
The 6V buck converter drives the LED on high at ~1400 mA by default. What I have taken to call the 3S converter refers to a buck/boost converter that works on an input voltage range of 2.8 - 4.5 V.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the 6V buck converter run on a single LiIon like a 16650? Does it shut off below 4.2V?

I don't have one but from memory it doesn't like it. You'd be better off with a 3S or a Hive if you desire an output closer to the 6V converter.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have one but from memory it doesn't like it. You'd be better off with a 3S or a Hive if you desire an output closer to the 6V converter.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping it was possible to run on a 16650 and fall back on primaries when necessary. The idea of running two LiIons in series doesn't appeal to me, especially for such low capacity cells I'll take a closer look at the 3V stuff.

Last edited: