65-watt-equivalent LED lightbulbs! (22 watts)

mdrejhon

Newly Enlightened
I'm surprised there is only one search result for "Enlux" on this forum. Haven't you heard?
http://www.enluxled.com/

Anybody planning to mod these for battery powered use? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (It'll have to be something like a lantern though, due to the fin requirements).

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
for $80 I think I could easily pass. I would rather use flourescent it is tons cheaper and more lumens/watt.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BatteryCharger said:
I'm sorry, but currently using LEDs for indoor lighting is just plain dumb. Light bulbs and grid power are ridiculously cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grid power's not cheap everywhere, especially not in developing nations, who are absolutely the last people who could afford these lights.

Now, if that was a PORTABLE 320 lumens worth of light, and in a package that could be focused easily and didn't require 120V of power to run, then that'd be something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I currently use the 100 watt Flourecsent replacement bulb,
it also consumes 22 watts of power and the cost is about $6.00
and they claim a lifetime of about 6000 Hours

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
looks pretty cool, except for the $$$. I am sure it could be modded to run off of 12v. The only thing that gets me is the 'not dimmable' part. I would guess it is regulated, and running off 120v it is hard to get under the running voltage. when the price drops, mabyee.

Jeff

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the design of the thing, the fins look great. I can see them making inroads for specialty or commercial lighting and such.

The price will come down, the efficiency will increase. If the color is really good people will be willing to pay somewhat more for them. The best of the CF bulbs as far as color are more expensive than the el-cheapo ones.

If they were 150 watt or better and dimmable I'd seriously consider a couple for the really high up cans in my living room that I can't get to. Even at their current price!

I need to buy a taller ladder...

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Their one weakness is that they need to be exposed for thermal reasons, so you cant go replacing all your house lights with these.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would anyone be willing to help me out ordering/forwarding one of those (neutral white/silver body)? They only sell to USA and Canadia so I can`t order one directly. That is the first "proper" drop-in LED alternative for household lighting I have seen so far. All the rest have been decorative or low power only, whereas that one looks like it`s actually practical for illumination. Expensive, yes, but so were the first all-in-one CFLs back in the 80s. I like the idea of the multicoloured LEDs too, and am very keen to see how it actually works out. I think it *needs* a place in the Bulb Museum!

wink.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just went to the website to order 2 warm white bulbs (one for me, and one for you), filled the information in, then got to the billing page. They do not accept Paypal, so I had to abandon my shopping basket. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Does anybody in the US or Canada have a charge card with about $170 on it, AND a Paypal account so I can pay you?
If so, I'd like two of these bulbs: one for me and the other for Chris M. in the UK.
I can furnish you with the shipping addresses via PM.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Appreciate the help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Don`t want to be picky but if you do manage to order any, could I choose the "neutral white" model, in silver finish? I`d like to use it here some of the time at least, and I`m not overly keen on warm white tints. This room is normally lit with low-level blue and turquoise LEDs, and a small 6500K fluorescent tube for brighter light. Be nice to replace that one with LED too, if only for the novelty of having a whole room lit by LEDs.

I wonder if they could even make one with a user-selectable colour temperature? Unless the numbers of each colour LED is different for each variation (ie warm white with more red and orange, cool white with more blue, etc) I don`t see why the micro inside couldn`t be programmed to re-modulate the brightness of each colour with a little multi-position setting switch on the side. Then for close-up work by day you could set a neutral daylight-matching colour, and at night the old warm familiar incandescent tone could be set for a cosy background glow.

Assuming Color Kinetics don`t try to stifle the innovation with their recently granted patent on "all" electronically controlled colour changing LED lights of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif That aside, there is the potential for a lot of interesting and versatile options, if this thing turns out to be any good that is. Could we be looking at the future here?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mdrejhon

Newly Enlightened
>>"I'm sorry, but currently using LEDs for indoor lighting is just plain dumb. Light bulbs and grid power are ridiculously cheap."

You're right about that -- except for certain applications where installation costs are expensive and you have to run the bulbs nonstop (commercial applications). In some installations, halogens can add up to about $500+ per fixture at 12 hours per day over 10 years, while this bulb will never need to be changed during that time!

Being able to replace about 8 compact fluorescent lightbulbs in lifetime; the economics are actually better especially when you need a paid installer with a ladder for commercial installs:
Enlux Lightbulb Savings Calculator

Incidentially, the white/halogen-colored LED bulbs are microcontroller-controlled R/G/B LED's automatically adjusted to the right color temperature. Color is supposedly superior to phosphor-based white LED's.

And don't forget dance bars, clubs, amusement parks, and other installations that might used colored floodlight bulbs. Enlux has colored LED floodlights that are over 5 times more efficient than the filtered incandescent equivalents.

It may not be pratical for most residential use, but the economics aren't that bad for the long term for business.

I'm sure the price will fall eventually...

mdrejhon

Newly Enlightened
>>If they were 150 watt or better and dimmable I'd seriously consider a couple for the really high up cans in my living room that I can't get to. Even at their current price!"

Actually, for the colored bulbs, they are already there -- the red/green/blue ones. They claim twice as much light as a 100W colored floodlight. (i.e. 200W)

However, I imagine you want one of the white colored ones, which are only 65W equivalents at this time...

mdrejhon

Newly Enlightened
Actually, I thought of something.

Since the white light bulbs are R/G/B based, why not an adjustable one that can double as a warm/neutral/cool white bulb? Maybe even Red/Green/Blue mode too. That'd be pretty neat, in a single bulb. True, this would increase cost, and might be confusing for some installers, but this could be a separate "premium-cost" bulb.

EricB

Enlightened
The closest thing to this would be the Color Kinetics RGB MR16. It is the only "bulb" I know of that has dip switches on the side to control not only the color, but also the light show pattern. I am thinkung of getting one for a Christmas fiber optic plant, but it is probably not bright enough for that compared to halogen, and since it uses separate color diodes (IIRC, 2 green and blue each surrounding 4 reds) it probably doesn't mix the colors good enough for the uses either of us want. They need to come out with one using all RGB diodes, but that will probably be sky high, as this one is already up to $100 depending on where you get it.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BatteryCharger said:
I'm sorry, but currently using LEDs for indoor lighting is just plain dumb. Light bulbs and grid power are ridiculously cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be cheap, but my latest electric bill is $ 0.20 / KWH, and this is an urban / suburb. Say goodbye to electric cars at that price.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW!

This is by far the brightest LED light source I have ever seen! It has a very wide flood beam, the machining is up to standards, and the reflector is textured.

You can definitely tell that this fixture is mixing colors when it's on, but I like the effect it gives. After you turn it off the green LEDs glow and fade out over a period of about two or three seconds, which is pretty neat.

I'm very impressed with mine, but I just wish the price was substantially less.

*Retired*
300-320 lumens of light for 22W input- 14.5 lumens a watt.

Even a Circline 22W CFL puts out 1400 lumens with 22W input, and this even includes the ballast losses- 63.6 lumens a watt.

Looks like the LED lamp compares more with a 5W CFL for lumen output.

A 65 Watt Fluorex makes 4550 lumens- 70 lumens per watt.

Even a Westinghouse 65W 60BT15/SL/CD Halogen makes 1080 lumens- 16.6 lumens per watt.

Okay so then you want to include fixture efficiency...if you put the same type of technologies into the fixture, you can't discount the other sources as much. LumiLEDs for their comparision numbers picked some of the worst halogen/fluorescent bulbs and fixtures on the market...

Sorry no dice yet.