6P bored to 18mm, anyone broken one?

buickid

Enlightened
As I understand, after boring for a 18650, the metal under the 6P's tail o-ring ends up quite thin, about 0.5mm or so. Has anyone broken the threads off in normal use?

buickid

Enlightened
I'm sure someone's got to have broken one, twisting the tailcap on a bit too enthusiastically, or with a 18650 extension giving a bit too much leverage!
Or am I underestimating the strength that is Surefire? :eek:

ptirmal

Enlightened
My C3 was bored and it's not thin near the thread. Maybe the centurions are different?

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or am I underestimating the strength that is Surefire? :eek:

No,
You are underestimating the strength of tube aluminum.
It is possible to break them under excessive force and abuse but not under regular daily use.
I estimate 1000 of Leef and Fivemega 19mm bodies sold here, here, here and here.
Many of them using regularly without any issue.
Also I need to mention some mini M*g and M*g C, D with inside bored out have deep outside grooves end up about 0.5mm remaining material.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I have a superfire with a .5mm thick wall at its thinnest point. Ive dropped it a couple times, and it has survived fine. I would think any other light with similar wall thickness would fare just as well.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.:twothumbs

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm I spoke this weekend with a friend to bore out an one cell extender in his fathers shop....

He told me that the main danger is failure while amchining.., Mainly heat related issues when on the lathe....

That may be of greatest concern

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ve modded my 6P in April 2007 and it has led me through quite a number of nightrides clamped to my bars.
Plus all the other times I used it as a handheld.

But I also feared that, especially while milling.
0.5 mm is not much!
Dont use the light as a "stand" for supporting You full weight

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I think (at least for my obsessive/retentive personality...LOL) its more the mental displeasure of taking a Surefire and thinning the walls down to a Super/trust/spider-fire. Even though strength and durability really is a non-issue.

Last edited:

buickid

Enlightened
Well, it seems that a 6P bored for a 18650 will be plenty strong! Thanks guys, I'll update you if I run into any catastrophe with mine. :) Once I get it. :D

Superdave

Enlightened
the only problem i have with mine is the occasional ground contact issue for lamp assemblies. SF lamps work fine, my others have problems sometimes.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have one Surefire that is bored to 18 mm. It's a 6P that I've had for years. Never had a problem with it, don't even think that it might break.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a C2 that blew apart while being bored (not by me!). I picked it up for the cost of shipping, cut it off clean, then bored it to 18.65mm to see how thin the walls are.

DSC_3074a.jpg

So, while it may seem fine as its only thin in three spots, the problem area is the area under the grip ring, where it's the same thin diameter all the way around in an area that is about 6mm wide. Even so, there's only one failure that I'm aware of at this area and that was an intentional torture test.

ToyTank

Enlightened
I've bored a 6P and 6PX pro by hand. I would not have done that had I known it was this close. It won't fit a AW 3100 but everything else has been OK