6V rectangular lantern battery

rick1959

Newly Enlightened
Just received the battery (actually I bought two) today. Looks to be a near identical replacement for the 918 battery. Posts are identical and spaced identically, so I see no fitment issues.
In fact the only difference I see is the top plate is flatter than the 918.

They came from UK stock. And mention Eveready with a France address. Made in China.

They test fresh.

Total cost to get two delivered to me was less than $43.00. Shipping was a flat $9.99.

I'm 100% satisfied with Newark and find them great to do business with.

if anyone has any questions, please ask.. :)

P.S. It may not be worth it to everybody, but if it is nice to know factory batteries exist for now :cool:

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
image.jpg

Like this? These are available at just about every hardware store here. I prefer an adapter that takes D cells. Which I fill with AA to D adapters. Lol

Edit: Nevermind it's different. Never seen one of those. Cool you found some.

rick1959

Newly Enlightened
One other thought comes to mind......

I took a plastic 918 battery that died and took it apart. Looks like it would make a fine housing to put a new battery together. Maybe a 6 volt Li-Ion or even maybe four D batteries,

I haven't really looked inside beyond popping the top off and finding the top posts soldered to two terminals holding the cells in the bottom of the battery container.

Just a thought... :)

rick1959

Newly Enlightened
View attachment 52468
Like this? These are available at just about every hardware store here. I prefer an adapter that takes D cells. Which I fill with AA to D adapters. Lol

Edit: Nevermind it's different. Never seen one of those. Cool you found some.
Maybe one of those square batteries could be maybe be fitted inside a 918 housing....?
Or possibly a 4 "D" cell 6 volt battery holder in the 918 case?

Lots of room for imagination :cool:

Eveready Captain

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone... Newby alert, my first post. I found a depleted Eveready 991 and in the process of a nicad conversion for the Eveready Captain. Will be using rechargeable C-type cells for power. The battery grid inside will need to be lowered slightly so its top plate will sit below, to clear switches on the flashlight. Will post when the project is complete. It's not exactly a bright flashlight but it does look nice for display.

Attachments

• DSC03115.JPG
    DSC03115.JPG
    470.4 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC03117.JPG
    DSC03117.JPG
    482.5 KB · Views: 57

rick1959

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone... Newby alert, my first post. I found a depleted Eveready 991 and in the process of a nicad conversion for the Eveready Captain. Will be using rechargeable C-type cells for power. The battery grid inside will need to be lowered slightly so its top plate will sit below, to clear switches on the flashlight. Will post when the project is complete. It's not exactly a bright flashlight but it does look nice for display.
Welcome to the forum!! :)
This looks like a really great idea! Looking forward to seeing the finished product! :)

Last edited:

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem is the US had all its manufacturing shipped overseas for "business" reasons. Might have gained some short term win, but it looks like we're going back to creating our own self-sufficient product manufacturing..... :)
Not fast enough for me. Probably be automated to the max, needing very little manpower, which, isn't good, but at least we won't be financing a communist country, and being bled dry.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Not fast enough for me. Probably be automated to the max, needing very little manpower, which, isn't good, but at least we won't be financing a communist country, and being bled dry.
Yes but perhaps in the meantime we will rebuild the machine shops that make the parts that will be needed to go automated.

I recall in the movie "Tora Tora Tora" when Admiral Yamamoto said" I am afraid that we have awakened a sleeping Giant." He schooled here in the US, and was aware of our industrial might. Unfortunately much of that has gone abroad. Hopefully the current policy of bringing manufacturing back to America will continue.

rick1959

Newly Enlightened
Hard to argue your point....
What bothers me is how "business" got us over there in the first place....I watched old machines and tools get shipped to China 50 years ago. They said it was cost effective to pay someone there to run the machine (3 axis machines in this case) for pennies compared to here. And so did much of our manufacturing business as time passed.....
It was all about the money. Seems to be the case still :mad:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's what happened when business went over to being based on stock price instead of actual manufacturing. It doesn't matter if a business makes money. It only matters if stock price increases. Turning everything over to Wall Street ruined America

Last edited:

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I blame Nixon, he is the one that opened us up to Communist China. Conventional history says that it was to play the PRC against the USSR, to keep them non-allied. Plus, the capitalists over here saw a whole lot of consumers that they could supply products to, an untapped market of millions of consumers who didn't already have a lot of stuff. Well, didn't that work out real well? :mad: The PRC did a reversal, and screwed us.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stock price will not increase if you do not produce. lets not forget almost all of us benefit from stocks and wall street. But shipping manufacturing out was a mistake, and it seems like push to bring it back died in 2020, who knows maybe we'll get it going again, in 2024, but i have serious doubts.

NOw about 6v lanterns, i had a bunch of them but its performance for the most part was pretty lousy, so i figured i'll mod them and turn them into something more interesting.

IeWsQie.jpg

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stock price will not increase if you do not produce. lets not forget almost all of us benefit from stocks and wall street. But shipping manufacturing out was a mistake, and it seems like push to bring it back died in 2020, who knows maybe we'll get it going again, in 2024, but i have serious doubts.

NOw about 6v lanterns, i had a bunch of them but its performance for the most part was pretty lousy, so i figured i'll mod them and turn them into something more interesting.

View attachment 52560
Stock prices go dramatically when you lay people off. Also when you buy back your own stock. A lot of things make stock prices go up without producing anything. I don't want to derail, but I also don't want false information being put out there.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stock prices go dramatically when you lay people off. Also when you buy back your own stock. A lot of things make stock prices go up without producing anything. I don't want to derail, but I also don't want false information being put out there.
Just like you i do not want false being put here either.

Laying off some people may bump the price or it may not, when you buy your stock back, than you are no longer a public company, Yes some bump can happen without increasing production, stocks work on expectations. you seem to paint everything with a broad brush, and completely misrepresenting pretty much entire thing. If you plan to fight misinformation start with you

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just like you i do not want false being put here either.

Laying off some people may bump the price or it may not, when you buy your stock back, than you are no longer a public company, Yes some bump can happen without increasing production, stocks work on expectations. you seem to paint everything with a broad brush, and completely misrepresenting pretty much entire thing. If you plan to fight misinformation start with you
Are you saying stock buy back makes the company no longer public? Companies do it all the time. It's the only reason Harley Davidson is still in business. It used to be illegal, but not anymore
Look at Tesla. First year they ever made profits was 2020. And that was mostly from selling environmental credits to other auto companies. Yea today they're worth 734B. That's because of stock prices. For a company that doesn't actually make a profit until 3 years ago. Stock is what matters.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea when they buy all of it, they are delisted, does not mean they go out of buissnes.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at Tesla. First year they ever made profits was 2020. And that was mostly from selling environmental credits to other auto companies. Yea today they're worth 734B. That's because of stock prices. For a company that doesn't actually make a profit until 3 years ago. Stock is what matters.
Ok and your problem with it is?? your 401k would still go up if you had tesla stock, as you would still make money if you owned their stock, so what exactly you are protesting about?

Last edited: