742 Torch Lumens! Most beautiful runtime curve. NEOFAB Legion II MC-E review added

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiniLux

Newly Enlightened
Re: Legion II, the MCE light Pics&comp with M1X

What is the width of the head and the body and its length? Was it posted and i glossed right over it?

Yep:

Length: About 177mm.
Head Diameter: 53mm.
Housing Diameter: 41.5mm

MiniLux

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
Re: 742 Torch Lumens! NEOFAB Legion II UPDATED.

Hey guys?
If it's so easy where are all the high powered MC-E/ P7 that have a 1 lumen or less low and ranges up to and beyond 500 lumens,I don't see any and I doubt you will see one any time soon :devil:

I'm expecting flames, yet that is why (one reason amongst others) I prefer lets say a 7xXR-E R2 light over a single MC-E/P7 one.

HKJ

Flashaholic

Exactly! therefore it would be pointless at this time to add a 1 lumen level for the sake of efficiency IMHO :)

But there might be other reasons to have a 1 lumen level, for me 100 lumens is to much in some situations. With the current design of L2 I have to use another light for these occasions.

wbp

Enlightened

I've been working on run time tests on this beast. They're not done yet, partly because it takes so long to do even one...

I have to say, I am impressed by one thing. So many lights are pushed really hard at their highest levels, and doing a run time test means figuring out some way to cool them. With the Legion 2 all I needed was a fan. I had it running for an hour and my IR thermometer shows 78 degrees F. When I opened it up the cells were not warm. I like this kind of design - this thing will put out 700+ lumens of real light and do it reliably, hour after hour, day after day, without overstressing or cooking the LED or the battery.

Nice job, Neoseikan! :goodjob:

neoseikan

Enlightened

Thank you very much, William. Looking forward for more info such as runtime and beamshots from you.

neoseikan

Enlightened

Runtime at max level added. From wbp. Thank you!

Kurapica

Newly Enlightened

Hey Guys.

I noticed many people mentioned about levels and efficiency. As the designer of L2's driver, I have to say something about the trade-off in this product.

Firstly I think we all know something about trade-off, such as you have to trade-off from a mini and a SUV for space and gas consumption. When some resource is not infinitely available, there must be some trade-off.

When we started L2 project, we had some goals: 1 Output; 2 Stability; 3 Efficient; 4 Feature. The restriction is space because we cannot design a huge driver board and fit it into L2. As we want to achieve a high output as 7xx lumens, the current have to be 3A or so. With such a current, low efficient driver will cause overheating of driver board and decrease of stability. So we tried our best to make the efficiency at Lv.5 to 92%, which means the driver board consumes less than 1W at Lv.5 and it's only a bit warm.

When we initially designed the driver, it has 8 levels. But when we test through the driver, we found the lowest 3 levels have poor efficient and not so stable, because the designing and part chose is optimized for 3A level. After a discussion with neoseikan, we decided to cut the lowest 3 levels. We believe if someone need such a low level, he may look at a S2 but not a L2.

So all I wanna say is there is no silver bullet in the world, and no perfect flashlight for everyone. L2 is a L2, not a S2 or something like I.B.S. We are planning a seperate low-level circuit module in future L3, but we have not yet start that work and we believe this module will rise the cost a lot. So for L2, we have to trade-off some specs to make it a "CORRECT" flashlight, but not a strange one with some feature best but others worst.

Sorry for my expression because I'm programming some craps these days heavily and almost forgot how to speak to human race...especially in English. I also mention you to notice the output curve neoseikan added at the top floor. It is as flat as we expected.

lonesouth

Newly Enlightened

Just to add to things...I like the idea of a seperate circuit to handle the low. Obviously this has to increase the price due to additional R&D and parts. I think you could incorporate some battery management and allow the battery structure to switch between 3S for higher output to 3P for longer runtime. Be that a mechanical or solid state switch. Course this would only be helpful for people who only want one light. Seems most people on here would avoid such a light seeing as it doesn't give them a reason to buy a second light. But there is a tradeoff again, where the R&D into the low could have been spent on the high and possibly created a higher output instead of a high output with low. Congrats on a very neat design and a newly designed UI. You guys are doing some cool stuff and I'm looking forward to what comes next!

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: NEOFAB Legion II, the powerful MC-E light &COMP with M1X, pic heavy!

Dear Neoseikan and Kurapica;

I have a pretty good solution to all these bozos giving you hell about lower lows:

- Simply provide one of these for free with every purchase of a Legion II ==>>
keychain.jpg

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 742 Torch Lumens! Most beautiful runtime curve. NEOFAB Legion II

Good one Outdoors Fanatic :laughing:

BTW would it happen to have a 742 lumens high by any chance :whistle:

wbp

Enlightened

Good one Outdoors Fanatic :laughing:

BTW would it happen to have a 742 lumens high by any chance :whistle:

Of course, but only for 120 ms... :poof:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast

Marvelous work by Neoseikan and Kurapica! :thumbsup: Like I said before that I felt a LuxI level performance would've been great for the lowest mode, but I understand the trade off and I'm sure the guys tried hard to work things out and came up with what they felt was the best compromise. Since I'm a self proclaimed lumens whore, I really don't mind 100 lumens being the lowest. For a flashlight of the L2's size, I think the output is appropriate. Being a flashaholic, I just realize that if I really need a super low mode that I'd have another flashlight that was designed for it...so I think it's funny that people would want just one flashlight that does everything. I thought we're all here because we love flashlights and own many???

wbp

Enlightened

The more I think about it... :D I think they should add a ring of red, green, and blue LED's to the bezel, with suitable controls. Think about it - low level mood lighting, any color you like, even a party mode! Oh, and at least one tiny green LED in the tail cap to serve as a locator, with both continuous 0.1 lumen or flashing beacon mode. I could go on, but ... :tinfoil:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, and add a tiny disco ball while you're at it :)

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's funny. That would give a whole new meaning to the phrase "playing with yourself" wouldn't it?

:)

niner

Enlightened

The more I think about it... :D I think they should add a ring of red, green, and blue LED's to the bezel, with suitable controls. Think about it - low level mood lighting, any color you like, even a party mode! Oh, and at least one tiny green LED in the tail cap to serve as a locator, with both continuous 0.1 lumen or flashing beacon mode. I could go on, but ... :tinfoil:

Kind of like the "angel eye" headlight from newer BMW :naughty:

I was thinking about a custom tail cap that carries a very small and low power flashlight, and it can be charged by the main battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.