84W Blitz comparison

Patriot

Flashaholic
No flash, I tend to do those types of shots later in the evening to minimize my exposure. One lady was walking her dog but just said hello. Additionally I try to only leave the light on as long as necessary to get the shot, then I quickly shut the light off. It is a concern because that tower is actually directly behind the last house at the end of the street. I don't now if you can see that the street curves deeply to the left but because of that when I light up the tower it acts as a huge reflector right into their back yard. :caution:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Awesome beamshots Patriot! BVH's HID Blitz is unbelievable. Its beam is so tightly collimated that it almost resembles a short arc light.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Thats a good name for the Blitz!.... that beamshot is worth mounting as a screensaver! :grin2:

....um, you mean "light cannon?" I was going to call it the BVH light cannon but remembered that UK took that name a long time ago. :candle:

BVH Blitz will have to do unless I can think of something better.

Patriot

Flashaholic
also, remember that LarryK developed this style of light. I simply copied the shell and installed my components.

Oh really? I didn't even know that Bob. I thought it was a JetSkiMark idea originally. I never even realized LarryK made one in this style.

Live and learn. :eek:

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
JetSkiMark made the very first one using a very small plastic Pelican waterproof case as the battery box for his 360 Watt (or was it 400 Watt?) incandescent Blitz. LarryK has a thread on here somewhere showing his. He's where I got the line on the Radio Shack project box as the battery & ballast box.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Just wanted to give the HID folks a fair chance and mention that I'm "passing on the torch" so to speak. This Blitz mod is up for sale in the Customs and mods section.

Last edited:

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Um' not trying to steal anybody's thunder but this is the original HID project box Blitz Circa 2004.

260zdlk.jpg

5l9mdg.jpg

bgqpzl.jpg

Thought you may enjoy a little blast from the past :nana:

Later
Kelly

Last edited:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy smoke!! :eek:

Awesome shots.

Although I gotta say, the Polarion still impresses the pants off me... :eek:oo:

My 35W L35 is impressive too, until you see more.
While the L35 and Polarion all have thier merits based on the class they are in, the one class they are not in is with the Blitz!
The 35W lights are great and I compare them to hunting with a deer rifle.
The Deer rifle is all you need for deer and anything more is just excess and will cause too much damage. But when you go hunting for Elephants, you don't take a deer gun.... Thats when these big boys come into play.

The Barnburner is worthy of comparison, but still does not compare to the throw of the Mule or the Blitz.

It really sickens you and ruins you to play with these big boys cause it makes the other ones seem pale.

If it weren't for the lightweight and easy practicle usability, I would never use my 35W when I have access to the other.

The Mule has 4 hours runtime at 35W "which outperforms the L35 in brightness by about 50%" and when in 80W mode kills the Barnburner for Throw and still maintains 2 - 2.5 hours of runtime with its 12AH LiPo batteries.

While I haven't put my hands on one yet, according to the pics, the Blitz has an edge on the Mule for throw and put the Barnburner back a notch yet farther.

While the Barnburner is totally awesome for lighting a seriously big area at 200 - 300 yards, it lacks in pinpoint focus and therefore is less desirable for long distance throw as compared to the Mule and the Blitz.

Its funny to talk this way about such noble lights, but the fact of the matter is..... when it comes to throw.... there are some new players in town and these players cannot be compared to the 35W class i your talking about sheer performance.
Agreed, there are few "prettier or cooler looking" lights than the Polarion.
And its hard to get the lumen output the Polarion gives through such a small reflector. But where the Polorion shines in small diameter size, it loses in overall length.

When the L35's beam is placed inside the beam of the Barnburner, its barely notable until you get into the hotspot, then its gone.

But L35's beam completely disappears as if it doesn't exist when placed anywhere inside the beam of the Mule.

Bronco

Enlightened
Are there any particularly good threads specifically featuring specs and pics of the HID Mule? Unfortunately, a search of the term "HID Mule" only brings up page after page of links to windstrings' sig line.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted to give the HID folks a fair chance and mention that I'm "passing on the torch" so to speak. This Blitz mod is up for sale in the Customs and mods section.

Hey dude.. just wanted you to know your PM box is full and wont accept any more messages....

Patriot

Flashaholic
Thanks Windy. Apparently my supporter subscription ran out but I never received an email stating that it was almost over. Anyhow, I lost my 50 extra spaces and have to renew. Made some space in the meantime.