A "copy" ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

fyrstormer

Banned
IF...and I say IF...the USD had any ties to real value. However, this hasn't been the case for decades. It's a fiat currency. The only thing that is keeping this illusion sustained is the fact that the USD is the world's default reserve currency. The primary consequence of this is oil being sold in dollars. If/when this changes, you will see just how wrong you are.
All currency is fiat currency. Who decided that gold should be used as currency? Certainly its physical properties make it excellent for use as a Bronze-Age currency*, but for most of human history, the vast majority of people all needed the same basic commodities, and those commodities were easily traded without the use of currency. (If you raise chickens, it's not going to be difficult to find people who will accept chickens and eggs in exchange for just about anything else you need; if you make clothing, it will be similarly easy to trade pants for anything else you need; etc.) Gold has always had a certain decorative appeal, because humans like shiny things just as much as most animals with high-resolution vision, but it took the force of militarized governments to say "you shall transact goods and services using these coins, and this list of prices shall be followed, or you'll be put in prison."

The primary advantage of currency has always been it allows the specialization of labor -- no longer do people need to raise/gather/produce multiple commodities of various values to fund different types of purchases -- but how much inedible metal is a cow worth, anyway? You can't eat gold, you can't wear gold (not as clothing, anyway), you can't burn it, you can't build a house from it, you can't use it to treat illness, etc. -- the very belief that gold (or any currency) is good for anything besides what it can be used for requires a suspense of disbelief that most people forget about, because we're all used to doing it nowadays. The assignment of monetary value is always arbitrary until people learn how to think of value using numbers.

As long as currency is unavoidably an abstraction of real-world value, it makes much more sense to base the value of currency on the value of EVERYTHING the nation has, instead of the quantity of just one resource. Why should our purchasing power be restricted to the amount of gold we have, when we have so many other resources which are also valuable? It also makes more sense from a practical standpoint to use a currency that isn't made from something that people will want to hoard for non-financial reasons, like often happens with gold -- people hoarding currency just because it's shiny is a waste of a useful material. No, I'm not worried about the fact that we use "fiat currency", because that is not the problem -- the problem is the list of "valuable things" has been twisted to include imaginary things, and we all know who we have to thank for that.

*hard enough to keep its shape but soft enough to cast and stamp at relatively low temperatures, rare enough that individuals couldn't amass huge quantities but common enough that national governments could amass huge quantities, distinctive color and weight, immunity to corrosion, etc.

Maybe even more consequent is the trillions of imaginary dollars tumbling around the globe in the form of CDO's and derivatives (imaginary and completely unregulated financial products).
This part I agree with wholeheartedly. (wholemindedly?) All monetary value is imaginary unless it represents the value of collateral in the real world. While raw materials, finished products, and the capacity to perform services are all valuable forms of collateral, simply selling a piece of paper at a higher price than you bought it for does nothing more than contribute to inflation, unless that piece of paper is itself a deed for something which has actually increased in value. As we know from the housing bubble, that was not the case for a few hundreds of thousands of houses across the country.

Last edited:

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have run aground on off topic posts before, so I will avoid this here.

However, I just wanted to post that I very much appreciate your (fyrstormer) thoughtful response to my post. I would love...love to discuss this with you further, as clearly you are thinking hard along with me on this one. Kudos.

obi

easilyled

Flashaholic
In order to keep this on topic, lets say that currency will be in the way of SPY007s from now on.
American currency is therefore comparable to the fake SPY and British currency to the real SPY. :devil:

Now you may continue .... ;)

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Hi John, nice to catch up with you again. :wave:

Where've ya been? You're not allowed to have a life outside CPF! :nana:

Oh, I've been around... lurking in the shadows. :devil:

Actually, I've been busy with my new flashlight company - we copy other flashlight designs and call them our own. :laughing: It's not going too well though, due to a buncha punks at CPF! :nana: :duck:

:thumbsup: john

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
They will be shunned by CPF people for copying lights. We have seen this play out before.

It would be way more profitable to introduce original flashlight designs here at CPF.

Dave

I like your spirit, Data ! :thumbsup:

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, you are just too late :)
(the website was changed in the meantime)

Jochen

Well, if someone saved the pic's around somewhere, I'd love to see what it looks like.
Thank you Jochen, anyway.

ArsMachina

Enlightened
Not me, but someone else did ;-)

23752mi8qjluv6412.jpg

22534cxknez4b9i8q.jpg

Jochen

RIDE

Enlightened
Wow....that is NUTS! Copies are an unfortunate reality...but there is no denying that it stinks to high heaven everytime I see it happen.

Hope this one never sees the market.

RIDE

Status
Not open for further replies.