A couple customer orders in progress.

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Left is superconductor and right is copper. Pics of what the superconductor started as...
FB_IMG_1644419814902.jpg
FB_IMG_1644419828004.jpg
PXL_20220209_060541450.jpg

nbp

Flashaholic
Incredible! Beautiful materials and machine work!

Does the metal always come with the funny hole through it?

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Incredible! Beautiful materials and machine work!

Does the metal always come with the funny hole through it?
Thanks. No, normally superconductor is solid all the way through. Not sure if this was an end type piece or what, but I got a good deal on it since most people want full solid bar for making other things. But worked out really good for a flashlight....

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The interior hole perhaps being for the refrigerant ?

Thx for the pics; I do like that, my MS thesis was on superconducting composites (with my undergraduate thesis on heat flow in cermet composites).

One thing that most folks don't think about; an electrical superconductor is also a thermal superconductor - there can be no thermal gradient along the length of a material when it is in its superconducting state.

One benefit of that property, is that if necessary you can cool only one edge of the superconducting component - the SC property will extend along its entire length, as long as you can engineer around the heat flux.

Last edited:

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The interior hole perhaps being for the refrigerant ?

Thx for the pics; I do like that, my MS thesis was on superconducting composites (with my undergraduate thesis on heat flow in cermet composites).

One thing that most folks don't think about; an electrical superconductor is also a thermal superconductor - there can be no thermal gradient along the length of a material when it is in its superconducting state.

One benefit of that property, is that if necessary you can cool only one edge of the superconducting component - the SC property will extend along its entire length, as long as you can engineer around the heat flux.
Are there any benefit when not cooled to superconducting state (as in a flashlight body)? Would the niobium rods in the copper increase the ability to pull heat away faster? Or slower? I know when I've done grinding of titanium I could hold the object just a few inches from where the grinding was happening as it did not transmit the heat very much at all.