A guide to Anodize Titanium on a budget

ChibiM

Enlightened
This is a short and easy guide to start your home-made anodizing on a budget

I got the question of how to do the anodizing I did on my ITP A3 eos titanium here.

So this is my little guide..

Do this at your own risk. It could be dangerous, or harmful!!
There are probably better materials/ingredients to do this with, but this is just an easy guide.
hopefully we can get some discussion going about TIPS and help.

A basic budget guide to (paint) anodize Titanium!

Do you have a titanium light sitting on your shelf, and want to give it a make over...
You probably have most of the stuff already at home to do this....

What you need:

1. A bunch of 9V batteries
  2. Pepsi coke
  3. piece of cloth
  4. Alligator clips
  5. jar/can that will work as a bath
  6. rubber hand gloves
  7. And last but not least, something made of Titanium

Here is what I did:

1. First connect some batteries together, in Series.
    once you start off with lower voltage, you can see the different colors when you keep attaching more batteries!
15287850728_657ece2681.jpg

15287911737_30f6f42d6c.jpg

2. Then connect 1 of the alligator clips on the farthest Positive of the series of batteries, and the other on the farthest Negative side of the batteries..

15474133562_e89415588f.jpg

3. Now connect the positive Alligator clip to the titanium piece. In my case, an ITP A3 titanium.
(I took pictures after playing with it)

15110766309_b94f55c4ab_c.jpg

4. On the Negative side, attach a piece of cloth/sponge (see above)

5. Now put the piece of cloth into the Pepsi

15297528625_1e0693cc69_c.jpg

6. Touch the cloth/sponge to the titanium, and keep it until the color has set..
15274490526_c6617b7f69_c.jpg

7. and you are "painting" your titanium.

Please only do this at your own risk. It can be dangerous, and harmful!
Each color has its own voltage.
I started with only 1 battery, and added 1 each time... Every time you will notice a slight change in color.
Depending on the materials you use, you can use the following picture as a guide line.
ti_color_large.jpg

Be careful not to touch the Negative alligator clip to the Titanium as it will result in a short.(bright sparks, and it will want to solder itself onto the material)
It happened to me about 3 times... nothing major.
Please wear rubber hand gloves for your own safety.

2. Second way of doing it:

You can also dip the light into a jar/glass etc to get an even color all over.
I have only done that for a short time...
See the following picture; very shallow in my case

15274490166_725d0c7b51_c.jpg

In that case, just put the wet piece of cloth, that is attached to the Negative alligator clips into the coke.
This will give an more even result.

Here my results of my first try......

• Another great thing about this style of anodizing is that it is reversible. You can bring it back to its old look, by polishing it or use a metal cleaner.
With my second attempt, I used tape.. you can use water resistant masking tape, but I used some of my heat resistant tape..

When you do this, you have to start with the highest Volt.. as the lower volts will not change the color of the higher volts! but visa versa they do.

15297527965_19588e1455_c.jpg

15110820670_47d75e7d2d_c.jpg

I want to thank Guy from MBI for his great tips and ideas and of some helpful links.
He is anodizing titanium professionally, and his stuff looks gorgeous, not done with pepsi.

Hopefully you will find this helpful, as an alternative to baking aluminum lights ;)

USEFUL LINKS:

1. McGizmo link with video on anodizing titanium
  2. Another guide by member Tom Anderson, a little more complicated, and missing pictures
  3. Anodize titanium instructables
  4. Mr Titanium

Last edited:

ChibiM

Enlightened
Hi,
no, I didnt.. because most of it was just "painting" with the piece of cloth.. so there was no liquid going inside the light.
the painting is quite fun.. so you can get your light "painted" instead of just 1 color!.

only during the second technique (dipping) I put the head inside the diet coke, but it was from the front (with everything still installed), so again no liquid went inside the light.

ChibiM

Enlightened
Hi, I've only done what people (Guy) recommended to do.. So I don't know why it works ;) I haven't done a whole lot of research. But I heard Pepsi worked better than Coca-Cola...but haven't tried it.

The only thing I personally had to buy were those 9v batteries and the Pepsi bottle. The batteries were from the dollar store..So you can get 10cells for $10.

lunas

Enlightened
Coke or Pepsi is not advised. I used distilled water and borax. In reality all you need is something to make the liquid conductive I was even able to use tap water. My suggested electrolytes are baking soda or borax (powdered soap). Depending what you use other byproduts may be produced during the reaction tap water has chlorine in it which would be off gassed faster during electrolysis so salt and tap water are ill advised for large batches. You really dont need much i would say a pinch or half a teaspoon of borax or baking soda or salt would work and not leave a residue just clean colored titanium.

The byproducts of the reaction is o2 on the positive and hydrogen on the negative since the pure positive charged o2 is generated on the titanium side the titanium oxidizes higher the voltage more o2 produced thicker the oxide layer.

When you do this I suggest making sure not to have any residue on the titanium it is not overly bad to have to go back and touch up since color depends on voltage you can re dip and spots will fill in. Amps only matter for the size so 9v can be used for painting or dipping of parts. It is also required that you do not use a substance that rusts for the anode and cathode aluminum titanium or copper work well.

Last edited:

RobinGonzo

Newly Enlightened
Wow, it's really pretty easy... But needs time :)

Unfortunately my equipment just goes to 30V . So I can't get to the bright blue, golden,...

247b46009a660fe34b94b34c80a4fc06.jpg
4ff0f634e38c5e3f7ba84aad36f1259c.jpg

Olight A3T

ChibiM

Enlightened
@Lunas: Thanks Lunas for the explanation. Although its a little over my head... but good to know some details. Maybe I will try to search for some baking soda. (We don`t have borax in Japan)

@All:
I hope that my picture guide could be helpful for people who want to try, without having to know the different processes that take place.
and I guess we can always "upgrade" to better "ingredients".. so its good to get to know what products are worth trying.
But I have a hard time to find products that people recommend on the internet, because they don`t sell those brands/products in normal stores in Japan. This happens very often.

I think we miss these kind of simple Guides for beginners!!

Many guides (in many fields(photography/computer programming,name it) on the internet) are just too complicated for beginners.

ChibiM

Enlightened
@Robingonzo: great work! don`t you think its fun to do?
What kind of equipment did you use? also 9V batteries? and did you use coke? borax? baking soda?

Maybe we can "SEE" the different results with different techniques/ingredients when people post them..
thanks for showing your work!

RobinGonzo

Newly Enlightened
Hey,
I used a laboratory power supply ( hope it's the right word for it) and Pepsi light.
Yes funny, and surprising... longer contact= darker color but can't determine what it will be.

lunas

Enlightened
@Lunas: Thanks Lunas for the explanation. Although its a little over my head... but good to know some details. Maybe I will try to search for some baking soda. (We don`t have borax in Japan)

You do have it but it is not called borax it is boric acid or sodium borate from what i could find it is kept at the pharmacies in japan.

Baking soda should be available at any grocery store it costs around $1.50 usd so it should be among the cheapest. borax cost me 6 usd for a 5 lb box and i needed a pinch of it.

I wanted a mostly solid color so i dipped mine got the two pieces below.

2yxfbz6.jpg

ChibiM

Enlightened
Lunas, can you please explain how you did that?

How much of the borax did you put in how much water?

How much voltage did you use, and how did you apply that?

Do you by any chance have a comparision between anodizing with borax and other ingredients?
Im very curious how much difference there is between the different ingredients..
thanks

lunas

Enlightened
Lunas, can you please explain how you did that?

How much of the borax did you put in how much water?

How much voltage did you use, and how did you apply that?

Do you by any chance have a comparision between anodizing with borax and other ingredients?
Im very curious how much difference there is between the different ingredients..
thanks
I took a length of aluminum wire made a coil to sit at the bottom of a plastic cup it had a lead that ran to the top and over the side then i hung the piece to be anodized by another piece of the aluminum craft wire then i used about half a teaspoon of borax in water it dissolves easily in water. Then i clipped 3 9v together in series and connected the power.

I would recommend putting the split ring on first it leaves scratches...

the only other thing i tested with was tap water when i touched up some spots same color same voltage...

you can also wrap a wire around a qtip and use it as a brush which is how i filled some spots that did not take from the dip...

the color on the flashlight is a bit uneven in rl it is lighter blue at the front then purple with hints of bronze at the tail cap.

10nbxol.jpg

154u9vd.jpg

Last edited:

ChibiM

Enlightened
So you filled the cup with water till the top?

do you think the wire is better than alligator clips?

When you did the touchup with the tap water, did the color come out the same as with the borax?

Latest posts