A little help with vehicle switch wiring......

hxdrummerxc

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
Im trying to install a rocker switch in my jeep. Im installing some offroad lights to a Contura V rocker switch.
The wiring is a pretty basic relay-switch setup. I don't really need any help there.

My problem is the source lighting for the led within the switch itself.
This switch has two LEDS, one is independent and one is on when the switch is on (powered). The independent LED is suppose to stay on as long as the vehicle dash lights are on. So I need to pull/tap a power source from an interior/dash light wire.

There is a factory switch literally RIGHT next to where I am installing this new switch. The factory switch already lights up with the interior lights, and even dims/brightens with them. I figured that this would be perfect for me to try and tap into and pull from its +positive light source. The problem is the factory switch is my motorized foot pedal adjuster, so it has 5 wires running to it. I have no idea which of these wires would be for the light, and which are strictly for the pedal controls.

One of the 5 wires is black (im assuming is the ground), the rest are all orange wires with different colored stripes.
One wire has a black stripe, One wire has a green stripe, and Two wires have purple stripes.
The wires are also separated into two sections on the connector (top & bottom). Three wires on the top, and then two wires on the bottom of the connector (separated by a plastic divider)
The all black wire, and the orange&black wire are the two wires that are separated, so Im wondering if those are the positive and ground for the light. (possibly leaving the top 3 for the pedal control)

I really don't know how I can test this though. The factory plug doesn't allow any sort of multi-meter tool to reach the metal prongs once its plugged into the factory switch.

Link to the oversize pic-

ohs6ti.jpg

Here is the back of the factory switch:
Link to oversize pic

I tried searching for a vehicle specific wiring diagram, but I can't find anything. Im not sure what to try next. Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

Big_Sam

Newly Enlightened
If you are doing a very simple wiring with a 12v feed to your switch, then just use a piggy back spade and loop onto the led feed.

Otherwise if you are just using it to cut the signal feed to the relay you will need an additional +ve source.

Sometimes you can get a thin bit of single core wire down the back of the connector which is enough to check voltage with, ground the multimeter to the chassis.

One issue you might have taking a feed off that wire is that the switch you are taking a feed off might be an incandescent lamp, especially if it dims. You might find the led doesn't like the low voltage if you dim it.

hxdrummerxc

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the CandlePowerForums!

Please go back and resize your pics-- pics, per Rule #3, must be 800px or less on their longest edge. You DID read the CPF Rules & FAQs, right?

Sorry about that, I didn't realize that the pictures would show up that large.

If you are doing a very simple wiring with a 12v feed to your switch, then just use a piggy back spade and loop onto the led feed.

Otherwise if you are just using it to cut the signal feed to the relay you will need an additional +ve source.

Sometimes you can get a thin bit of single core wire down the back of the connector which is enough to check voltage with, ground the multimeter to the chassis.

One issue you might have taking a feed off that wire is that the switch you are taking a feed off might be an incandescent lamp, especially if it dims. You might find the led doesn't like the low voltage if you dim it.

Thank you for the idea :), I was able to get some smaller gauge wire inside the plug ports. I was then able to find and confirm that the orange/black wire WAS in fact the light positive. The voltage changed from 4.75 to 12.23 depending on my dash light brightness. I then used the same wire to temporarily hook up the led portion of my new switch. The new switch lit up fine, and even dimmed/brightened fine. So now I know what wire to tap into for the final wiring. Thanks a lot! :D