A question about using different batteries together.

Ekinorak

Newly Enlightened
I have a 3x 18650 light where i can disassemble it to use 3x cr123a batteries, but is is possible to use a combination of cr123a's and 18650's as loong as i keep myself within the driver voltage requirement 3,6v-12,6v?

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you ever looked at the instructions for a battery powered device? Where the typical warnings are written:

• Always replace batteries together in sets
  • Never mix old and new batteries
  • Never mix batteries of different types
  • And so on...

Well, you know, they are not giving those warnings for nothing. There is a reason for such advice and you should pay attention to it. At best you might only get poor performance. At worst you might just create a pipe bomb. Is it worth the gamble?

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
NOT RECOMMENDED. 18650 is rechargeable, if you used a rechargeable cr123 (rcr123) is would discharge at a faster rate (presumably less mah) and my understanding is the 18650 would essentially want to charge it. Really really not recommended.

Ekinorak

Newly Enlightened
Thats why i asked first :) :) Tbh ive only recived instructions with 1 of my lights (a HID ebay) all led lights i bougth from Dealextreme i dident recive instructions :p

I guess ill be using 3x cr123a instead. While im here, is it safe to recharge 2x cr123 batteries in a 18650 charger or do i need to get a seperate charger?

Last edited:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The advice I quoted applies to all battery powered devices, everywhere, always. The advice is universal. You don't need to read it in the instructions, it should be imprinted in your mind as one of the golden rules of batteries.

To your other point, CR123A batteries are not rechargeable. If you try, they will explode.

There are some RCR123 batteries that are rechargeable, but only in a suitable charger. If you match the right voltage, charge rate and chemistry, then maybe one RCR123 battery can be used in one charging slot like one 18650 can. But under no circumstances can you put two RCR123 batteries in one 18650 charging slot.

Last edited:

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sry i was a bit non specific, i have 16340 3.6V 1000mAh batteries.

The reason i kinda ask is because i bougth this charger; http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire-3-6-3-7v-battery-charger-1251

And the spots for charging the batteries i bougth it for was disabled for some wierd reason.

So i need to buy a new charger, is there any cheap charger that can charge 4 16340s?

That's not unusual for those side terminals not to work. You can open it up and connect them, there is a thread here on the forums how to do it, or you can just use the contacts at top and bottom that you would use for 18650. You just need to use a conductive metal spacer. You could find examples of that here as well. Electrically either way is the same. Here is a discussion about spacers, I didn't notice any pics but I am sure you can find some other threads.