• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

AA Cells

SocksWthSandals

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

Going to be getting a new light with the AA body and was going to be going with the Hive driver and I was thinking Nichia led.

I have a few vapcell gold 14500 cells. Don had suggested protected cells for the charging/discharging so I was searching around for something good.

What do you guys carry in your lights? Im unsure on what to look for voltage/current wise. I would assume with the Hive I will need something with a higher voltage. and I was thinking of getting this little guy?

I do have a crap ton of these laying around, are these ever good in a pinch even though they are only 1.5v?

SocksWthSandals

Newly Enlightened
Update - These KeepPower ones dont seem to really fit with the Hive and the AA body. the top button of the battery kind of got a bit smashed.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cell completely broken already? Can unscrew the switches and cut off 1-2 turns of the spring, then there will be a little more space, but then maybe standard AAs will have poor contact, or not, I don't know. Is it possible to measure the real length of these 14500 and standard AA with a caliper? pre-closing 1 of the contacts with adhesive tape or electrical tape
1649438649205.png

Msf

Enlightened
Those Keeppowers are 52mm long which puts them two-three millimeters longer than most AAs and 14500s. I have several of them and they work great, but the additional length is a problem using them in several lights. They work best in lights that have springs at both ends as those tend to be more tolerant of longer cells.

SocksWthSandals

Newly Enlightened
Cell completely broken already? Can unscrew the switches and cut off 1-2 turns of the spring, then there will be a little more space, but then maybe standard AAs will have poor contact, or not, I don't know. Is it possible to measure the real length of these 14500 and standard AA with a caliper? pre-closing 1 of the contacts with adhesive tape or electrical tape
View attachment 26088
Not broken, just a little dent in the top button that makes you go "yea probably shouldnt use this little guy"

SocksWthSandals

Newly Enlightened
As long as it doesn't break the protection board, if it's in "+" then it's not a problem. I have a few crumpled 18650s and they work great. If you could made pictures "+" it would be cool :)
This is what the cell looks like after a few minutes in the light. I just don't want to damage the cell or the driver.it may just be a tad too long. The unprotected vapcells fit great though!

Attachments

• 20220409_145605.jpg
    20220409_145605.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 86

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, i see, now the easiest way here is to cut off part of the spring at the switch. I see about 4 turns in it, if you cut off half, then with full compression in the flashlight, a place will be freed up just so that there is a clamp and the battery does not deform. If the pressure still seems too strong, then you can still cut off a piece from the coils until action it feels good. I had the same with Mac's Tri EDC, half of the spring was already cut off and it worked well with a protected 18350, but with an unprotected 18350, the contact was unstable, stretched the spring a little and it began to work perfectly with all batteries.

1649572801100.png