• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

AA Flashlight (new single cell converter) addition to the series

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
My Haiku AA CRI has been my most carried light since its arrival. Nice and slim, the clip mates up nicely with the body. The three levels are great for Edc.

The beam is awesome, with nice throw at night.

Well done Don!

Frank1967

Enlightened
My Haiku AA CRI has been my most carried light since its arrival. Nice and slim, the clip mates up nicely with the body. The three levels are great for Edc.

The beam is awesome, with nice throw at night.

Well done Don!

Yep this little light is with me all the time. It renders colors beautifully without that washed out look I get from XML lights.

plaguem

Enlightened
Hi guys,

Sorry Mcgizmo newbie question here. Whats the difference between this AA single cell converter and the one that's being offered here? I'm sensing that this converter isn't just the battery tube pak but an electronic PCB add on?

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

Sorry Mcgizmo newbie question here. Whats the difference between this AA single cell converter and the one that's being offered here? I'm sensing that this converter isn't just the battery tube pak but an electronic PCB add on?

The thread you quoted was an earlier thread Don used to offer the 1XAA battery pak. This pak will also take a rechargeable 14500 lithium cell for the 3S LE. Some people like the longer but thinner dimensions of the 1XAA pak.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh. so it's effectively the same except the earlier one didn't fit a 14500?

They are the same in both threads. The light has two physical parts. The bezel which houses the light engine and the other the body that houses the battery and switch.

The earlier thread was only referring to the body. The present thread is offering the whole flashlight.

14500 is only a size which is the AA dimensions.

plaguem

Enlightened
They are the same in both threads. The light has two physical parts. The bezel which houses the light engine and the other the body that houses the battery and switch.

The earlier thread was only referring to the body. The present thread is offering the whole flashlight.

14500 is only a size which is the AA dimensions.

Ohhh. i get it. :fail: i was needlessly confused! thanks for clarifying ben! :thumbsup: now.. that just leaves... to spend not to spend.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Email sent for Haiku AA Hi CRI 119v tapped clip, flexible lock line and coiled tether.
Edit: PayPal sent.

Last edited:

wind-catcher

Newly Enlightened
Don, do you have any plans to make a run of XPG AA converters?
The thing is that I really love my Haiku HiCRI AA but I also want something that will suck the battery more effectively. My Haiku lost its High when the primary Duracell had 1,316 Volts in it. My Warm White Quark 1XAA Tactical still works on Max on this cell. I think its due to more effective XPG led.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Don, do you have any plans to make a run of XPG AA converters?
The thing is that I really love my Haiku HiCRI AA but I also want something that will suck the battery more effectively. My Haiku lost its High when the primary Duracell had 1,316 Volts in it. My Warm White Quark 1XAA Tactical still works on Max on this cell. I think its due to more effective XPG led.

I have been working with the XM-L and HiCRI Nichias and no plans at present to add more LED's to the mix. The XM-L might have a lower Vf and consequently glean more out of a battery but I can't imagine that it would make that big of a difference. There must be something else in play with your comparison of lights and not being an EE I can't guess as to what is going on.

lockdoc

Newly Enlightened
Alright, I want to see what the fuss is about. Email sent for Haiku AA Hi CRI with 1/4' x 20 tapped pocket clip and web Coil Tether with swivel option

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
image.jpg

Last edited:

ASheep

Enlightened
This looks amazing. I've always been on the fence about McGizmos for two reasons: PWM and AA compatibility.

I suffer from photosensitive Hemiplegic Migraines, which have made me incredibly sensitive to flickering lights. PWM that is undetectable to most people is unbearable to me, including most fluorescent lighting, and backlit LCD monitors (my LED backlit monitor is always at max backlight to prevent PWM).
Every day I look at this thread, and every day I am that little bit closer to buying a AA Haiku. I can see either a Mule or a Sundrop in my future too, as flood lights are my absolute favourites. This is going to get costly...

Cheers,
Alex

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I'm thinking about this new AA converter and what it means for the 123 primary that I love. Since I *never* use 16340, it makes the AA converter seem pretty appealing for a 123-powered Haiku.

Has anybody tried running the AA light engine on a 123 primary? I know it will run fine based on the voltage input specs, but I am wondering what its performance characteristics are like and how it compares to the usual 3S board.

What's the amp draw on the three modes on the AA at 3V compared to the 3S at 3V?

Finally, the fact that it will run down to 1.5V seems to indicate it will suck the very last drops of energy out of a 123 while still running at full tilt. Is this as correct, desirable and safe as I expect?

Apologies if I'm asking anything stupid. I've not had enough time to keep up as closely as I want.