• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

AA Flashlight (new single cell converter) addition to the series

DucS2R

Enlightened
Probably the Haiku with AA body and AA converter with Nichia 119 engine. Awesome all around beam with great color rendition, adequate throw, and the flexibility to use cheap and easy to get batteries or NiMHs or li-ions if you really want.

I agree 100 %. I bought mine about a month ago and it is a great user light. Not particularly bright, but very adequate with a nice beam, great CRI, and a light easy to hold package. Currently my favorite out of a ridiculous number of lights, including 4 more of Don's lights.

T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tangfj

Newly Enlightened
I think its just a calibration mode for the driver IIRC. It doesn't really allow you any special options.

That's correct... I actually just e-mailed Don about this same thing and it's just a calibration mode. Your light will go in to calibration mode when cycled through ten times or more. Below is what Don wrote me... hope you don't mind Don but I thought it's useful information for those looking...

"If you quickly cycle on and off ten times or more, you enter the light engine into calibration mode where it tests the Vf of the LED against the current and calibrates for the specific LED being used. This only needs to be done initially and then if a LED is changed. However if you play with the light and do go through ten quick on/off cycles you will put it in calibration mode. It will not exit calibration mode until it has been allowed to slowly ramp up to the high level and then it drops down and stays in low. You can then turn it off and it will behave properly after that.

In normal use one would not be cycling the light on and off tent times in succession so calibration mode would not be entered. If you enter calibration mode using a battery that is not powerful enough to run the LED in regulation on the high level, it will not complete calibration and you will need to install a fresh battery and complete the calibration sequence."

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree 100 %. I bought mine about a month ago and it is a great user light. Not particularly bright, but very adequate with a nice beam, great CRI, and a light easy to hold package. Currently my favorite out of a ridiculous number of lights, including 4 more of Don's lights.

T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How does the Haiku differ from the Sundrop head?

nbp

Flashaholic
The Haiku is a typical reflectored light.

The SunDrop is "directed flood". It is not so floody as the Mule but does not have a typical hotspot/spill from a reflector. The beam shape is a product of the convex lens. It projects a short range "disc of light".

McGizmo

Flashaholic
That's correct... I actually just e-mailed Don about this same thing and it's just a calibration mode. Your light will go in to calibration mode when cycled through ten times or more. Below is what Don wrote me... hope you don't mind Don but I thought it's useful information for those looking...

"If you quickly cycle on and off ten times or more, you enter the light engine into calibration mode where it tests the Vf of the LED against the current and calibrates for the specific LED being used. This only needs to be done initially and then if a LED is changed. However if you play with the light and do go through ten quick on/off cycles you will put it in calibration mode. It will not exit calibration mode until it has been allowed to slowly ramp up to the high level and then it drops down and stays in low. You can then turn it off and it will behave properly after that.

In normal use one would not be cycling the light on and off tent times in succession so calibration mode would not be entered. If you enter calibration mode using a battery that is not powerful enough to run the LED in regulation on the high level, it will not complete calibration and you will need to install a fresh battery and complete the calibration sequence."

No problem at all on quoting my response and thanks guys for chiming in! In normal use the calibration mode would not be entered but I have come to realize that these lights receive attention beyond "normal use" and that is one of the reasons I asked Martin to design in a jumper on the Aqua lights so that the user would have to go an extra and intentional step before getting into program mode on them. Although it's unlikely one would enter program mode on them during normal use......

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well good to hear! Very clever designing though. Of course I treat my lights beyond normal use quite often. That's why I've defaulted to a few specific flashlight makers that meet my build criteria.

-Alex

cowsmilk

Newly Enlightened
Is he now offering it in XP-G2? From the info in the first post, I was under the impression that XML and Nichia 119 were the only options.

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is going to be niiiiiice. Good grab Ryan!!

Thanks Brandon!

I have been wanting an AA Haiku for a while because I don't have a nice AA light. And your post about the Haiku didn't help take the itch away either. ...

I didn't get the 119v because the MCPCB limited future led upgrades.

But now that the XP-G2 MCPCB is available, it opens up the door to a lot of future led upgrades:)

phoenix.stu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again Don for another fantastic light! Really am liking the form factor on this smaller tube. Still love the 123 body but, this is AA is real nice in the hands! You sir are the best! :) AA XML.

McGizmo-AA-XML by ipodtouch4all, on Flickr

Ghostwalker54

Newly Enlightened
Tino,
Benchiew is correct. You ask about easy upgrade and that requires qualification.The XM-L and HiCRI 119 require different reflectors in the Haiku and you don't interchange light engines mixing LED's. If I am building a light engine for someone, I need to know what it is going into so I can properly place the LED leads on the MCPCB and cover them if necessary with Kapton tape. The user needs to be careful in any light engine removal on a Haiku to insure that they don't lose the small O-ring in the back of the reflector or have it move out of place during a LE exchange. I can and have made LE's available to folks and will continue to do so but i don't want to give the impression that it is necessary an easy exchange requiring no thought or consideration. Cost of an AA HiC LE is $125 and an AA XM-L LE is $130.

Don,
If I have my time zone right it's around 10:30 your time.The above being said for those of us who have ordered the LE's (in both single high modes and usual tri-modes in my case) they will drop into my Haiku's made for HiCri and XM-L? And I may have missed it but will there be an XP-G2 LE?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Don,
If I have my time zone right it's around 10:30 your time.The above being said for those of us who have ordered the LE's (in both single high modes and usual tri-modes in my case) they will drop into my Haiku's made for HiCri and XM-L? And I may have missed it but will there be an XP-G2 LE?

I am not sure I understand the question but a XM-L LE will work in any head that is currently host to a XM-L LE and a High CRI or XP-G2 LE will work in any head currently host to a High CRI or XP-G LE. Yes, a AA XP-G2 LE is an option.

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
So. It's been a good while since these have been released. People have had time to EDC the various combinations.

Do we have a consensus as to the best all around head/AA combination for EDC?

cowsmilk

Newly Enlightened
You will likely find many different opinions depending on need. I myself have a mule head/nichia LE combo with mine. I'd love to try the sundrop head and also the xml LE though.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Nichia 119v AA LE. First in an Haiku head and now in a mule head. I prefer it in the mule head for a couple of reasons. Slightly shorter length. The modes seem better spaced on the mule - the low seemed too close to medium with the Haiku. And the low on the mule is great for navigating around the house at night.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doing a bit of research at the moment so please forgive me if this has been mentioned elsewhere.

Can these AA heads be locked out? As in, if you have the Pak installed but not tightened up all the way, will the light still function? Basically is there a contact ring on the driver that needs to be connected to the Pak to function? Ultimately, could you activate the switch and effectively use the light as a twisty?

- Matt