AA or 18650 Headlamp without memory

pc_light

Enlightened
Fenix HM23 (AA)
Starts on Low, with High stated as 240L but hold for On/Off

I have the Thrunite TH20 AA/14500 (reflowed with Nichia 219b) that uses last mode memory but also has direct access to Moonlight with ramp up ability (infinite-level-like), double-click to Turbo. My favorite AA headlight.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Not sure why you don't want mode memory, is there some particular mode or output level you want the light to always start at but then change the mode and not run at that mode most of the time?
People to me have wanted a 1 mode light but with multiple modes and memory they could easily click to the 1 mode that they prefer and turn it on/off and always be in that 1 mode anyway. My only issue is when you have to go through other modes to turn the light off and/or it has way too many modes to get to another mode. Take for example my HL60R headlamp you have to cycle through red-eco-low-med-high-turbo then back to red again and that means if you are on like medium and want to go to low you have to cycle 5 times to get there. If you compare my Wowtac A2s that has low-med-high with hidden Turbo and firefly etc mode you only need to cycle 1-2 times to get to the other modes so even if you accidentally go past the mode you want you still could end up cycling less.
I tend to like the Wowtac better due to direct access to hidden modes and not having (to me) the useless red LED mode that I have to cycle past and never use.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Better than the old zebra can only be a new zebra)) Modern, you can customize all 6 levels as you want. For example, now my H600c G6 tuned H - 4/4, M - 7/7, L - 10/10 level, that is, in reverse order than the default G5, and just 3 modes, access to any of the off state.

There is also Petzl Strix (if you can find it) and Pixa 1/2/3, there is no memory of modes, and is controlled by a batch switch.

I noticed that the title has changed and now there is an 18650, this greatly expands the number of options. Lucifer S2X has 1 * 18650 power supply, but it is purely head light.

bhds

Enlightened
Whats wrong with the zebra? One advantage of the zebra UI is the instant access to all 3 mode groups. No mode memory required.
I've had several Zebras throughout the years and they are good lights and the reason I still use my H52 cool white at work is exactly because of what you said. My problem is that the H52 is getting really long in the tooth. In order to get the most amount of advertised light out of it is to use Nimh(Eneloops). I used it that way for about a year but got tired having to keep up with having to use a specialized battery. I now run it using alkalines but that doesnt allow full power output which I am finding that I need more often than not.

bhds

Enlightened
Fenix HM23 (AA)
Starts on Low, with High stated as 240L but hold for On/Off

I have the Thrunite TH20 AA/14500 (reflowed with Nichia 219b) that uses last mode memory but also has direct access to Moonlight with ramp up ability (infinite-level-like), double-click to Turbo. My favorite AA headlight.
I looked at the HM23 and Its pretty much in the same league as my current work EDC - Zebralight H52.

bhds

Enlightened
Not sure why you don't want mode memory, is there some particular mode or output level you want the light to always start at but then change the mode and not run at that mode most of the time?
Yes. High output. :) Not talking about "turbo mode" but the normal high setting that most non flashaholics would expect when turning on a flashlight of any given size.
I do have a Ultratac A1 that I love and its starts at low-med-high, but its my work edc and I know that it will always come on at the low setting
At the end of the day I am a firm believer in KISS when it comes to flashlights.
If I hand a flashlight to someone whether its a co-worker, wife, young child, senior citizen parents etc. I should not have to explain how the "UI" works.
For me its really annoying not knowing what I'm going to get when I turn on a flashlight. Especially in todays age of high powered, multi level flashlights

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Yes. High output. :) Not talking about "turbo mode" but the normal high setting that most non flashaholics would expect when turning on a flashlight of any given size.
I do have a Ultratac A1 that I love and its starts at low-med-high, but its my work edc and I know that it will always come on at the low setting
At the end of the day I am a firm believer in KISS when it comes to flashlights.
If I hand a flashlight to someone whether its a co-worker, wife, young child, senior citizen parents etc. I should not have to explain how the "UI" works.
For me its really annoying not knowing what I'm going to get when I turn on a flashlight. Especially in todays age of high powered, multi level flashlights

I prefer the A1 over something like the Tool AA the same reason, always starting on low.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
There are lights that if you hold the button awhile when turning them on come on in super low mode and you can just click again for low then medium etc. I find lights with 3 modes and hidden firefly and turbo modes aren't that much trouble to click between the 3 modes when you turn it on you either have to click 0,1, or 2 times to get to the mode you want.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore HC60 v.2. Push to turn on starting in ultralow. Push again at any time to cycle through low, medium, high, and turbo (one push each). Hold button to turn off. If you turn it on again, it starts back at 1 lumen ultra low. If you want mode memory, hold button from off to return to last setting. In other words, it has mode memory, but it is out of the way. You can use it if you want to or ignore it like it doesn't exist.

NightTime

Newly Enlightened
I just bought an L3 Illumination L11C for this reason. The light is intended for use by my spouse during the night. Because there is no memory, she's always sure to fire it on the sub lumen mode.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found Olympia 31821FL spot/flood 18650 headlamp locally OTC for about $10 ($6 on sale). Low cost, but not bad. It has spot, flood, or off, no memory.

Dave

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore here on my hard hat. It has a slider, goes one way for red/green/blue. Goes the other way for low.med/high. Boosted by V54 years ago. Has micro usb charging (that I never use). As I use in industrial locations starting low works great for me and using slider works if I'm wearing gloves.

18650. Not sure of model. Uses reflector.

fuyume

Enlightened
I love my Fenix HM23. Dead simple, one AA, lightweight, bright enough for my needs, and actually a really good color rendition.