AAA based lights

caram

Newly Enlightened
I like the beam pattern, will have to check it out next time in the depot.

caram

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for the wrong post above.

+3 on the 1xAAA BLF348, Mag Mini and Solitaire, these are bulletproof and last you long time

If you want 3xAAA more powerful and waterproof but affordable, I like the Duracell 350. got 2 of them for $5 each. Don't know what LED is inside but these are excellent throwers, I got the non-zoom versions.

I also like the X700 zoomie, really versatille 3xAAA, with older XM-L LED for $5, don't pay more because there is a lot of scum up-selling these. I really can't find anything that throws so far when zoomed in for $5. It is also an excellent flooder when you zoom out. I got a cheap generic holster (the one for C8) for $2 to extend the life.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want 3xAAA more powerful and waterproof but affordable, I like the Duracell 350. got 2 of them for $5 each. Don't know what LED is inside but these are excellent throwers, I got the non-zoom versions.

I've seen these first hand, they look great though i wonder why some people are having issues with the batteries draining while others don't (in the reviews), https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0164R8E8M/?tag=cpf0b6-20 Also they appear to be 4 AAA's. Maybe some of them are 3AAA, didn't find any though.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore MT06 is and excellent 2AAA light with two power levels and relatively good throw, due to it's relatively small LED, but it's over $20. I really like mine.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose the OP has the lights by now, but am surprised no one, including me, mentioned the Hugsby XP2. On ebay they sell for less than $4.00 each when you buy 8. The XP1 is proobably the bese single mode 1-AAA for gifting.
Jerry

Last edited:

Kaminari

Newly Enlightened
I just wrote my introduction, said I probably wouldn't post, yet here I am already... because...
I'm not a flashlight enthusiast (yet? I think?), but I do keep a small flashlight in any bag that I regularly carry, (and am looking to replace two ancient incandescent minis myself -I love this forum), and have been giving a lot of thought to the form and function of minis lately. Perhaps the question ought to be, what do you expect the recipients will do with the lights? If you're taking them camping, well, everyone's choice is more informed than mine - you can ignore the rest of this.

A non-enthusiast's mini might go in a bag, drawer or glove compartment and get used once in a while. If you hope it will be an EDC for a commoner like me, you might consider something like the Fenix UC01. I have been carrying something very similar on my keychain for years (same one, over a decade old). It's never in the way. It's on in my hand (with the car keys) in dark parking lots on the way to my car for safety. It's great when my porch light goes out, or I need to dig a real flashlight out of _ _ _ , or the kids have been playing with my car interior light settings...

Maybe a keychain light doesn't make a very bold impression as a gift, but if somebody adopts a safety habit because you made it easy to do, maybe they'll thank you more as time goes by. Just my thoughts. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go buy that UC01 for my daughter. Cheers!

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for the Mag Solitaire LED. I bought one last night and am quite please the the beam quality, tint and ease of use and it feels good in the hand.

It's also waterproof to IPX7.

At 47 lumens, it's much brighter than many people want in a light this small, but some people will love that it's this bright.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for the Mag Solitaire LED. I bought one last night and am quite please the the beam quality, tint and ease of use and it feels good in the hand.

It's also waterproof to IPX7.

At 47 lumens, it's much brighter than many people want in a light this small, but some people will love that it's this bright.

With only one mode there is going to be some compromise, but the Solitaire LED works for me - bright enough with enough throw for just about anything I would call on a key chain light to do, without being too bright to be useful for close up tasks like reading.