AAA Survives 5 yrs Lost in a Cave

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great story & great first post! Welcome to CPF.

I'm really glad that you got your long lost ARC back. I know if I lost such a nice light I would be bummed and really really happy to get it back. What a great testimonial to the build quality of the ARC.

I go caving and I know how hard it is on equipment. Many things are never quite the same after seeing the inside of the earth.

I'll bet one thing that helped the battery survive so well was the near constant temperature that caves have. By not having to undergo heating and cooling [i.e. expansion & contraction] the battery was less likely to leak than it otherwise would have been.

cy

Flashaholic
WOW!!

this is a ARC AAA story that needs to be on ARC website.

WTH

Newly Enlightened
I'll bet one thing that helped the battery survive so well was the near constant temperature that caves have. By not having to undergo heating and cooling [i.e. expansion & contraction] the battery was less likely to leak than it otherwise would have been.

Thats a great point, I didn't think about it but I bet you're right.

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
Good story, congrats on your find! Now i hope i find my long lost Arc LS

Russianesq

Enlightened
ARC is a gorgeous little light

Draco-015.jpg

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know guys. If I was Scott McCrea, I would not want a new Arc flashlight. I would have to much pride in keeping and using his refound property. It is a great story piece.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
wonderful story!

so what did you use in place of the Arc for those five years?

@Russianesq, nice pic! and i agree, the Arc AAA is a beauty.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, Scott. We used to drive up near y'all's every fall and watch the colors - beautiful!

Could you please post a close-up pic of your Arc? I can't see much detail from the first pic you posted. Thanks, and congrats on finding your light.

ICUDoc

Enlightened
Great story thanks Scott.
I would like to see some super close-ups too, if it can be done?
I love the story of finding a friend again after years and years.
I wish I could find mine- I bought three more so I wouldn't be without.....

Haz

Enlightened
That's an awesome story, i'm surprised no one else picked it up and kept it!, truly amazing. I think it's the best story i have heard

Scott McCrea

Newly Enlightened
Better pics:
1372158451_24285c66c3.jpg

1373065466_c57c977301.jpg

1373064354_6c891d179b.jpg

Full res pics are here.

I was also surprised that the battery was not stuck in the light.

I am keeping the light and will continue to use it.

I did not replace the light after I lost it. I quit carrying anything on a lanyard around my neck. But, I did get an AAA-P a couple years ago for my keychain. So far, I have managed to keep track of it.:D

No one found the light previously because no one has been in the cave for the last five years. We found the cave in the late 90's and have kept it to ourselves. My group started having kids and getting real jobs, so caving slowed. We went back last weekend to show a couple new cavers around and generate some interest so we can get back to finishing the survey/map.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments. I'm glad there is such a great place to share stories like this.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's cool that it's a 'secret' cave. Otherwise someone else would be using your arc by now.

Great story. I'd probably keep using the light, but it does look a little worse for wear.

Does the whistle still work, too?

Last edited:

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
You just need to polish the reflector and it will be OK :).
Thanks for sharing this story with us.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Daniel, thanks for the link.

Scott, thank you for sharing those higher-res pics and your story. Talk about "stone washed" finish!! :) That light looks awesome. I think this and that story about an ArcAAA falling off a cliff are my favorite ones.