about to make my first purchases for an HID mod

R10500

Newly Enlightened
so i was sifting through previous threads, taking note of all the best hosts. pretty dismayed to find most of them no longer available online, my only option, not even the mega illuminator. so i'm down to the SM5200 and thor x colossus. i'm not sure if i read right but is it true that while the colossus can only accept slim ballasts unlike the sanmak?

i was looking for a 55W ballast and found this one that claims to be better than the generic chinese ones. bosch is mentioned, so is made in japan. is a conversion kit different from the usual AC ballasts CPF members source for? it is also too cheap to be believable. 55$ for 2 hid bulbs and 2 ballasts, zip ties and whatnot. i'm wondering if this, if legitimate, is more efficient and reliable in terms of output and stability than the chinese ballasts. thinking of pairing them with a 55W bulb from the more recognized brands (Osram and the other one).

how's beam quality between the two hosts too?

Norm

Retired Administrator
i was looking for a 55W ballast and found this one that claims to be better than the generic chinese ones. bosch is mentioned, so is made in japan.

If this is a Bosch kit it is a fake, a friend in the automotive area at Bosch assures me they do not make a HID kit.

Check the Bosch website no HID kits listed

Norm

Last edited:

R10500

Newly Enlightened
ok just to make sure, what are burners? that's the one that the listing states is bosch made.

R10500

Newly Enlightened
ok then thanks for helping out :) so making do with the generic chinese stuff should do just fine then? i've read only about a variance in their output but nothing whatsoever to imply that they're dangerous

Norm

Retired Administrator
I built a HID mod using a cheap Chinese 35 Watt slim ballast 5 years ago, still working as far as I know, (sold recently).

Norm

Last edited:

R10500

Newly Enlightened
is that the black,finned one that also comes in 100W? can those kinds fit in the thor spotlight?

R10500

Newly Enlightened
yes i did see them but unfortunately i couldn't recognize it from the underside. i only recall seeing pictures of them from the top but it's alright i'll look them up again.

just to get opinions, do you think it's better to buy a quality, legit company's hid spotlights like the big types 8 inches and up, or if buying a fatboy and installing them into those cheap hosts would do just as well? after all it's just the shell we need, if not some amount of security with regards to the durability of the host. i don't recall reading about anyone driving a legit HID bulb with a higher wattage chinese ballast say 55-75W (not going into 100W for sure) so would that be safe to work with?

Norm

Retired Administrator
yes i did see them but unfortunately i couldn't recognize it from the underside. i only recall seeing pictures of them from the top but it's alright i'll look them up again.

Picture of the top of the ballast from the linked thread.

1002326qprzr4.jpg

R10500

Newly Enlightened
oh that's the top lol sorry, dumb ol' me. ok sounds like they shouldn't be off any trouble then. thanks for helping out :)