ACE isn't the place, to shop for MAGLITES.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was out and about this morning, and Ace Hardware was on my way back home, so I stopped in to browse. I checked out the flashlight aisle and was shocked, they only had TWO (2) count 'em TWO MAGLITES out! One was a 2D LED of unknown vintage, not an ML300L, and the other was a MiniMag Pro. They had a HUGE display of NEBO and Coast, some Ace brand, a few ROV, and Energizer. Needless to say, I was disgusted. And the 360 degree lanterns, while in the same aisle, were separated, and over with the camping equipment. I checked out a NEBO Poppy---cute. Then there was a big lantern, maybe an Energizer or ROV, I forget, that would run on either AA's or D's! I found that innovative. Of course, CPF folks have been running D cell stuff off Eneloops and adapters for a long time. I don't know how this company does it, if they include D to AA adapters with the lantern, or it has some other way to run them. I found it interesting.

What surprised me was the incan bulb display! They had quite a few, mainly Dorcy brand, and a few Maglite, but mainly for 3+ cell lights, I don't recall seeing any PR type for 2D, maybe those sold out. They may have had some of the newer wire plugin kind, I didn't look too closely.

Well, that's all to report. Hopefully Ace Hardware will rethink their flashlights and stock more MAGLITEs. :mad:

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I admit that I haven't bought a new Maglite since the 90s (although I did just spend ~10X the value of a mint 90s MiniMag to upgrade it:)), or visited an ACE for at least a decade. I used to live a couple of blocks from one and often found the general hardware supplies I needed without having to walk a mile to find / get them, which is nice, so I like them, but can't recall the last time I walked the flashlight aisle in any chain hardware store. That said, I think you might find that Ace is not an isolated case. Others who hang here have posted many comments in recent times on the receding presence of Mag from several of the other big chain hardware stores as well. I don't know if this is due to a(nother) change in Mag's marketing strategy, competition, margin, or what - but that's what I've read here. @bykfixer might have an explanation, as he probably has his finger on the pulse of Mag better than most.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
ACE is listed as a Maglite distributor but most if not all ACE hardware stores are independently owned, as in about as close to a mom & pop's hardware your as you'll find nearly anywhere in America anymore.

Like @aznsx said, they're often near your home and not at some mall complex competing with the Lowes Depot giants.

In my town the ACE owner opened his second store. His first in a nearby town is at the outskirts of the city, making it convenient to farmers and suburbanites. I asked the owner "why no Maglites in your new store?" He said "they just don't sell anymore. Nebo, Rayovac, Coast and others sell". He said a few years back people at his other store couldn't get enough but then the "crowd" opted for smaller, brighter, cheaper lights than the C/D size Maglite products.

Now Tony broke ties with the giant stores like WalMart, Lowes and HomeDepot because they wanted Maglite to lower the price they charge to said giant stores since many of the Asian companies willingly do. You won't see many Rayovac lights at those stores either. Some, but not many.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I admit that I haven't bought a new Maglite since the 90s (although I did just spend ~10X the value of a mint 90s MiniMag to upgrade it:)), or visited an ACE for at least a decade. I used to live a couple of blocks from one and often found the general hardware supplies I needed without having to walk a mile to find / get them, which is nice, so I like them, but can't recall the last time I walked the flashlight aisle in any chain hardware store. That said, I think you might find that Ace is not an isolated case. Others who hang here have posted many comments in recent times on the receding presence of Mag from several of the other big chain hardware stores as well. I don't know if this is due to a(nother) change in Mag's marketing strategy, competition, margin, or what - but that's what I've read here. @bykfixer might have an explanation, as he probably has his finger on the pulse of Mag better than most.
Well, it's time that you bought a new MAGLITE! Although I'm just a baby flashaholic, I've been pleased with all the new Maglites that I have bought over the past few years. Are you familiar with their line? I invite you to go to their website and look over their products. I ignore the 3AAA flashlights though, as I hate the short runtime of AAA's. And I find the ex-LEO they use to make testimonial videos a real bore--anyone with pull at Maglite, please put in a substitute for that guy! Also, the guy that does the vlog or whatever they call it, should be replaced. Image is important. Their website needs some straightening out, too. The way the different models are presented seems confusing to me, and probably others. That may be most of their problem, confusion over the models. Not a fan of the clam-shell packaging, but in today's stores, I guess it is a necessary evil.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
ACE is listed as a Maglite distributor but most if not all ACE hardware stores are independently owned, as in about as close to a mom & pop's hardware your as you'll find nearly anywhere in America anymore.

Like @aznsx said, they're often near your home and not at some mall complex competing with the Lowes Depot giants.

In my town the ACE owner opened his second store. His first in a nearby town is at the outskirts of the city, making it convenient to farmers and suburbanites. I asked the owner "why no Maglites in your new store?" He said "they just don't sell anymore. Nebo, Rayovac, Coast and others sell". He said a few years back people at his other store couldn't get enough but then the "crowd" opted for smaller, brighter, cheaper lights than the C/D size Maglite products.

Now Tony broke ties with the giant stores like WalMart, Lowes and HomeDepot because they wanted Maglite to lower the price they charge to said giant stores since many of the Asian companies willingly do. You won't see many Rayovac lights at those stores either. Some, but not many.
@bykfixer Thanks again for cluing me in on what's going on!

That is really sad news, I didn't know. I guess it is the changing of the generations plus all the competition from subsidized PRC brands. Maybe I can get a hold of the local owner and talk them into carrying more Maglite. I doubt I can, because of franchise influence, but markets vary in product demand, from location to location. I used to work for a discount store that had three separate locations, one was an army town, one was a university town, and one was a big city suburb, and the home office for the group. When I started with the army town location in the late '70's, each store did their own purchasing. This made costs higher due to lack of volume. Then they decided to do group purchasing. Well, the home office did the buying, and the products the army town store was getting was the wrong mix--different market than the other two stores, entirely! Consequently, all the university market stuff that was sent to the army town didn't move well, and we didn't get all the automotive accessories and sporting goods in the huge quantities that we needed. Yeah, different markets need a different mix of merchandise. Hopefully, there is more demand for Maglight here than they think.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The market just isn't there for Maglite like it used to be. If ole Tony Maglica would let his marketing team try out some fresh approaches to compete with the Nebo lights their market share may increase again. Nebo has a lot of unique lights like chip on board (CIB) Larry line, the Slyde and several other unique approaches. Maglite has that 1970's bell shaped round body lights that work like they did in 1979, only brighter.

Now the Maglite buyer is still out there but.... they already have one. Or a few. Nearly everybody in the Maglite market who had incan ones probably have replaced those with LED models. Again, making a product that lasts 3 decades is a double edge sword. The Nebo's, Coasts, Rayovacs etc usually last a couple of years max but hey it was 8 bucks. The ML300 is $35. And that too is part of the problem. When my neighbor hears me say I paid $55 for a 2D coyote tan 2D ML300LX they say "geez must be nice to have that kinda loot to spend on a flashlight". Now, my great grand kids will likely use it long after I'm gone.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The market just isn't there for Maglite like it used to be. If ole Tony Maglica would let his marketing team try out some fresh approaches to compete with the Nebo lights their market share may increase again. Nebo has a lot of unique lights like chip on board (CIB) Larry line, the Slyde and several other unique approaches. Maglite has that 1970's bell shaped round body lights that work like they did in 1979, only brighter.

Now the Maglite buyer is still out there but.... they already have one. Or a few. Nearly everybody in the Maglite market who had incan ones probably have replaced those with LED models. Again, making a product that lasts 3 decades is a double edge sword. The Nebo's, Coasts, Rayovacs etc usually last a couple of years max but hey it was 8 bucks. The ML300 is $35. And that too is part of the problem. When my neighbor hears me say I paid $55 for a 2D coyote tan 2D ML300LX they say "geez must be nice to have that kinda loot to spend on a flashlight". Now, my great grand kids will likely use it long after I'm gone.
I agree with a lot of what you say. Innovation is where sales are made. Tried and true will only carry you until the market is saturated--after that, you have to have innovation to give the public a reason to keep giving you business. Take for example SureFire's Stilleto, now THAT was innovation! Ergonomics is important when you are designing an everyday carry item, and the Stilleto has ergonomics. I tried carrying my Fury's in my pockets, and finally gave up. But I was carrying it in my pockets, because SF didn't have a holster or belt carrier that fit the thing. I finally broke down and started carrying it in a NiteIze Pokit. Now, if someone made a 1500 lumen hi, 5-15 lumen lo thrower in ergonomic shape, that took replaceable rechargeable AND primary cells, they would make a mint.

ghostguy6

Enlightened
Around here practically every major store has dropped maglite. You might still find some old stock and those promotional item stores have the smaller kits they will engrave with your companies logo. Out side of the US there is just no point in warranting them. It cost $50+ just to mail the light into the states and you have to pray they will deem it was a defect and not abuse. Forget getting consumable parts like a lense or switch cover as Maglite wont export them from the US. A few online retailers will but it will cost you almost as much as the light. From what I remember most of the brand name accessories were garbage. Anyone who used those plastic belt rings knows the light would slip and slide all over the place. Those black plastic clips for wall mounting would break if cold or exposed to UV light. The rubber anitroll heads would expand and fall off.

Realistically now the only time I carry my maglite 3d LED is because it makes a nice club for those bump in the night situations.

It was reported most of the newer lights had internal voltage drains in them so I saw no point in trying them. For the price they want for their new lights I can buy something brighter that will take rechargeable batteries and has a better warranty.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Around here practically every major store has dropped maglite. You might still find some old stock and those promotional item stores have the smaller kits they will engrave with your companies logo. Out side of the US there is just no point in warranting them. It cost $50+ just to mail the light into the states and you have to pray they will deem it was a defect and not abuse. Forget getting consumable parts like a lense or switch cover as Maglite wont export them from the US. A few online retailers will but it will cost you almost as much as the light. From what I remember most of the brand name accessories were garbage. Anyone who used those plastic belt rings knows the light would slip and slide all over the place. Those black plastic clips for wall mounting would break if cold or exposed to UV light. The rubber anitroll heads would expand and fall off.

Realistically now the only time I carry my maglite 3d LED is because it makes a nice club for those bump in the night situations.

It was reported most of the newer lights had internal voltage drains in them so I saw no point in trying them. For the price they want for their new lights I can buy something brighter that will take rechargeable batteries and has a better warranty.
There's an easy fix for the majority of those problems--move to the US, THE REST OF THE WORLD IS!! :mad:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglites were sold intermittently at our local hardware chain store (Bunnings) but has since disappeared, Energizer are holding on but the onslaught of Nebo, Swiss+Tech, LED Lenser & Nite Ize etc. are filling the shelves.

Iron Horse... really not even a website brand? 🤣

ghostguy6

Enlightened
There's an easy fix for the majority of those problems--move to the US, THE REST OF THE WORLD IS!! :mad:
Na I keep hoping Canada will just get invaded. Its not like our PM has the balls to resist if anyone tired.

I think another reason for Maglite's decline is the simple fact that no one ( besides flashoholics) really carries a dedicated flashlight anymore unless it is work related. The average person uses the flashlight feature of their cell phone now.
Since I read this thread yesterday I have been on the look out for people carrying flashlights and the only ones I have seen are Peace Officers (Innova t4) and an escalator repair men (yellow nightstick). I know one of the maintenance men in my building carries a Streamlight Stylus in his shirt pocket. Not one of the 20 or so security guards I passed had one visible on their belt or pockets. From previous power outages here I know they all go to their dispatch desk to pick up a yellow 2D Brightstar flashlight from the locked cabinet. A lot of good that does.:rolleyes: 10 years ago being employed as a security guard and not having a light on your person would get you written up and possibly fired if it was your second offence.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finding something is better than finding nothing. Buy stuff flashlight related often then speak to a manager about getting something you want to buy that they don't stock. Then pay a high price plus sales tax for it.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed that too, I go to the same Ace hardware for over a decade, maglite selection shrunk, but other lights that did not exist are in abundance now. I guess they sell what sells.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are going to overpay in 2023 why would you want Nebo or Coast? Its really weird seeing that for sale on UK sites. They really overpay for that crap over there.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was in France in 2005, from what I understood, there were no Walmarts in France. Prices for common items such as notebook paper, memo pads, softgoods like cotton towels and Coca-Cola were crazy expensive, compared to the USA. I believe it was because they had trade laws blocking cheap imports in order to protect their workers from unfair labor competition abroad. While I experienced sticker shock, I really need to compliment them on protecting their workers and their economy. US politicians could learn something from that.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I went into a nearby ACE the day it opened after reading they were a Maglite distributor. Not a single one was to be had there. So I spent my Maglite $ I took with me on Muk Luk socks.

I already had about 20 Maglites and zero Muk Luk socks so it kinda worked out for the best. After that I had 6 pairs of nice warm socks to wear while out strolling with a Maglite on a chilly night.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was in France in 2005, from what I understood, there were no Walmarts in France. Prices for common items such as notebook paper, memo pads, softgoods like cotton towels and Coca-Cola were crazy expensive, compared to the USA. I believe it was because they had trade laws blocking cheap imports in order to protect their workers from unfair labor competition abroad. While I experienced sticker shock, I really need to compliment them on protecting their workers and their economy. US politicians could learn something from that.
I'm not sure French gvmnt cares much about workers. they tariff the sht out of import, that is why it is a lot more expensive than in usa. Gvmnt gets all that tariff money. it does not create, nor protects any jobs.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure French gvmnt cares much about workers. they tariff the sht out of import, that is why it is a lot more expensive than in usa. Gvmnt gets all that tariff money. it does not create, nor protects any jobs.
I don't know, and I don't care. I don't live in France, and couldn't wait to get back home. Kinda wanted to kiss the ground when I got home. God Bless the USA.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Nearest Ace Hardware to me has Both LED, and Inca. 3D cell models and LED, and Inca. 2AA Mini Mags. And that's it. (Ironically the 2AA Inca. ones are green digital camo.)