Acquiring a D-121M Gen II+ monocular

guncollector

Enlightened
Well, I found a good deal on a like new (only 30 min. usage) D-121M US Generation II+ monocular. (Note: wish I could get a Gen III, but the "toy budget" just isn't that elastic).

I just sent payment, and will have it in about a week or so.

Previously, I owned a NightOwl Optics Gen I monocular, that was much bigger, and a bit of a PITA to focus and adjust. Sold it off to finance some other toy I'm sure....

I am excited to see what the Gen II+ is all about!

Anybody have experience with Gen I vs. Gen II+ that can tell me about it?

ledfanfromjuno

Enlightened
You should never buy used night vision devices. This industry is famous for fraud and deception in its sales claims. Even the spec sheets sold with new optics are known to be potentially fraudulent depending on where you buy your tubes from. The saying goes that there is NO WAY to ascertain just how long the tube has been used by the previous owner. A tube has a very finite lifespan. Therefore there is no way to tell if your second hand tube will last 1 year or 1 hour before failure or serious defect like vacuum tube failure and migrating dark spot from edge to other side of tube. The only safe thing is to buy from REPUTABLE dealer and buy new and pray and hope he's not screwing you.

That said I bought the anpvs 14 delta. It's gen 3 plus. It's small. Because of its high signal to noise and because it is small, it can be used with good optics such as the steiner nighthunter binoculars or good quality riflescopes (enough light transmission and eye relief for obvious reasons) without even having to mount it; just keep it on your head. I think gen 2 would be to insensitive to utilize other optics with effectively.

guncollector

Enlightened
ledfanfromjuno-

Thanks for the adviso. But, while I don't know this particular seller personally, he has an impeccable reputation over at the USN and Bladeforums.

Otherewise, I wouldn't have even bothered negotiating for the device with him.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Originally posted by ledfanfromjuno:
That said I bought the anpvs 14 delta. It's gen 3 plus. It's small. Because of its high signal to noise and because it is small, it can be used with good optics such as the steiner nighthunter binoculars or good quality riflescopes (enough light transmission and eye relief for obvious reasons) without even having to mount it; just keep it on your head. I think gen 2 would be to insensitive to utilize other optics with effectively.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is a great idea! I tried my ITT gen3 unit behind a Leupold 12-40x60 spotting scope last night, and it wasn't too bad at all. I also tried the spotting scope at 12x at night by itself. I'd never heard of anyone using a spotting scope at night, but with the 60mm objective, it works very well. I love good optics...