Active PFC PSU with modified sine inverter

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

Today I decided to do a run time test with my backup power system, which includes a modified sine inverter. I connected my computer to the inverter. I recently replaced the PSU in my computer with a model with active PFC (I needed a higher power rating and this one had it).

The worrying thing is, there is a very irritating buzz coming from the PSU and it gets a lot louder when I switch the PC on. Is this harmful to the PSU in any way? The old PSU (which was passive PFC) would quietly hum, maybe a little louder than when on normal mains power. This buzzing noise however is quite noticeable indeed!

I found one other mention of this: http://www.xtremesystems.org/FORUMS/showthread.php?t=175319

Any help would be appreciatied.

snarfer

Enlightened
I wouldn't run it like that. Maybe I am overly cautious but I would think that any time the circuit board is vibrating like that it could cause some component to fail or come loose or rub together and make a hole in something.

If I had to run my computer off of battery backup power I would not use an inverter anyway. It is a waste of power. You are converting from DC to AC with the inverter, then converting back again to DC in the PSU. Probably wastes at least 20 percent right there, but likely a lot more.

Instead use a car computer type PSU and run directly off battery. Something like the PicoPSU.

Well I don't really know your system so I don't know if that is possible, but it is just a suggestion that you might think about. I know you didn't say anything about wanting to replace your PSU or your backup system, but hey I can't help thinking about how to improve electronic systems. Good luck.