• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Adjustable Heatsink

b2eze

Newly Enlightened
Sorry ya'll.. Near as I can tell, this sink is useless with a cut mag reflector in a "D" mag. There is just not enough room in the head to put the emitter at the right height and leave thread in the head. What I would end up with would be a hot lips or o sink, both fine products! When I get more time to play, I want to make one up for "C" mags and try it there. Can someone point me to a post that will better educate me on the fine points of mag reflector filleting. I cut the cam end to the step on the inside... was that far enough? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
b2eze, not sure how far. My setup is flat HS flush with the body tube, emitter on top of that, then head screwed on. Your're right your setup probably won't work too well for that. But for multiple emitters and using 20mm reflectors in a Mag D head this probably allows better heatsinking as you can have a thicker HS.

I still want to see someone mod a 50mm optic into a mag!! with beamshots of course... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As far as cutting the mag reflector, here is what I do. I get a hack saw and cut around the cam leaving about 1mm extra, so I don't cut into the actual reflector. I will cut until I'm almost through (look inside the cam, you can see it turn white when you're about through), then go back with a razor blade and use that to finish seperating it, as a razor blade makes much a smaller cut than the wide hax-saw blade.

Then clean it up with the razor blade around it. You should have cut off the cam and left all of the shiny part. If you don't have a pedistal heatsink and want optimal focus from an emitter on a flat HS, then take sandpaper on a flat surface and rub the backside of the reflector back and forth until you have sanded down the thickness of the plastic to where it is very thin, but not yet through to the reflective part. You're just thinning the plastic. This allows it to rest further down below the emitter. Doing this will even let you focus past the tightest point and it will widen out again, so I know this works for getting the best focus and you don't need to go further. I have done this on both 5W emitters, and 3W emitters. Should work for 1W as well because it's the same as 3W die size. Red-orange-amber I think will work too even with out sanding but I have not tried it this way because I had to raise the emitter on my 2C mag with a pedistal because it's and older mag and the head didn't screw down far enough to get the reflector close to it.

I don't know about the new 3W red-orange-amber ones. I would assume it's possible with a flat heatsink too.

When getting the dust out of a cut reflector, compressed air works good. If you have sanded the reflector, the finner the shavings of plastic from finer sandpaper, the harder they are to get rid of. Use high pressure air compressor. Don't touch the reflector! I've heard some have used water with success but only do that after air dusting, and getting rid of water spots is sometimes a problem.

Hope this helps, it's a lot of text b/c that's all I know!

b2eze

Newly Enlightened
Thanks mucho, Isaac! I'm going to have to cut my reflector a bit more, it seems! I'm curious whether a star will work with the stock reflector.... modified. I was pm'ed by someone else who wants to try the star route and I built him this sink for the barrel tube.... and one for me too! [image]http://
scan00147rb.jpg

[/image] [image]http://
coppercorebatttubesink28ra.jpg
[/image] I plugged the hole with a slug of copper for a little more heat fransfer instead of the usual aluminum. What do you think?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The center pedestal in the Hotlips/O-Sink raises the emitter to the correct height inside the reflector, since you cannot focus very well once you chop off the cam. It fits nicely into the reflector opening, I can imagine this would be hard to do with stars because the MCPCB of the star would prevent it from going into the reflector.

The way to chop it off (you remove the reflector from the head first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)
oad4cookbook-10.jpg

Besides, I find the IMS reflectors offer many of the benefits plus a smoother beam with less artifacts than the stock Mag reflector. Retaining the use of the stock reflector is convenient and cost-effective, but suffers from many of the same drawbacks - focus changes with distance. The IMS reflectors are prefocused at any distance and with a SO27XA you can get some serious throw (think Lionheart throw).

b2eze

Newly Enlightened
AH jeez 1idjack...... Belated PM sent to you.... I musta been sleeping!(or hibernating!!!!) 1 emitter will work fine on the copper slug sink shown above if glued down. 3 will fit with so20's but I need to make a plastic template to simplify placing the emitters for gluing. Soon, I promise.... sooner if ya'll pester me for it! Please PM me if you're interested!