Advantage of finger hole over thumb stud?

carrot

Flashaholic
I've used both thumbstuds and thumbholes for awhile. After really using knives with thumbholes (eg Spyderhole) I have found the Spyderhole more "pleasing" to use over thumbstuds. Not really sure why, though. I think holes and studs are pretty similar in opening speed, and I'd pick a waved knife for speed too.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
For some folks a hole just doesn't work, hard to hit for whatever reason, but I think the majority of folks will find a hole works better. Occasionally some company will put a hole in an odd place (like the BM Pika mentioned above), but placed correctly, I find the hole by far the best opener.

What I want the opener to do? I want it to present a big, easy-to-hit target, and for my thumb to be really secure on the opener until the blade is completel opened. A hole is way bigger than a stud, and in a fast opening, way easier to stay secure on it. At least for me, it just plain works better. I actually like a top-mounted disk better than a stud also, though few knives use this method unfortunately.

S

Samhain73

I can go with both, but the hole don't get caught on anything, and will never get loose. But, you could never customize a thumbhole, or add anything cool like the tritium thumbstuds, so it can be a trade off depending on what you want.

Ignoramus

Newly Enlightened
Keep in mind also that the hole opener was originally invented and patented by Spyderco as the first one-hand opener for a folder. Since then, it has come to be a symbol of Spyderco. The patent has expired and it currently is trademarked by Spyderco. When you see a hole opener, know that it came from Spyderco.

BTW, if you the fastest opening folder, get a knife with the wave. The Spyderco Endura and Delica waves are more effective than the Emerson waves.

DasRonin

Newly Enlightened
Ignoramus said:
Keep in mind also that the hole opener was originally invented and patented by Spyderco as the first one-hand opener for a folder. Since then, it has come to be a symbol of Spyderco. The patent has expired and it currently is trademarked by Spyderco. When you see a hole opener, know that it came from Spyderco.

BTW, if you the fastest opening folder, get a knife with the wave. The Spyderco Endura and Delica waves are more effective than the Emerson waves.

AND... it was originally intended to be used in a different way than it is now seen used. It originally was NOT designed to be used to open the blade in the same means as a thumb stud.

Originally, spydercos were all metal and somewhat heavy. No plastic or G10 used. The pocket clip was mounted on the pivot pin end of the blade and the knife was clipped blade tip down into the pocket. Using the thumb and index finger, the digits grasp the blade by the hole in the blade, pinching at the thumb hole, finger pad pressed against thumb pad. The knife was pulled from the pocket, and once clear of the pocket the knife was swung point up, and flicked down. The mass of the metal body would cause it to swing open & lock, and the grip was shifted to grasp the body of the knife.

It was later when the plastic was used in place of the all metal knife when the shift was made to carry point up, and the blade rolled out by the thumb only, like thumb stud designs. The original technique did not work well with the lighter materials. There was not enough mass in the body of the knife to reliably open using the index finger and thumb pinch flick. The pocket clip was then mounted at the blade tip end, on the opposite end of the knife, to be carried tip up for easier deployment using the hole in the blade to roll the blade open.

Other knife makers started using thumb studs due to the Spyderco patent on the hole in the blade.

Spyderco trivia!

Last edited:

ghostrider

Enlightened
DasRonin said:
AND... it was originally intended to be used in a different way than it is now seen used. It originally was NOT designed to be used to open the blade in the same means as a thumb stud.

Originally, spydercos were all metal and somewhat heavy. No plastic or G10 used. The pocket clip was mounted on the pivot pin end of the blade and the knife was clipped blade tip down into the pocket. Using the thumb and index finger, the digits grasp the blade by the hole in the blade, pinching at the thumb hole, finger pad pressed against thumb pad. The knife was pulled from the pocket, and once clear of the pocket the knife was swung point up, and flicked down. The mass of the metal body would cause it to swing open & lock, and the grip was shifted to grasp the body of the knife.

It was later when the plastic was used in place of the all metal knife when the shift was made to carry point up, and the blade rolled out by the thumb only, like thumb stud designs. The original technique did not work well with the lighter materials. There was not enough mass in the body of the knife to reliably open using the index finger and thumb pinch flick. The pocket clip was then mounted at the blade tip end, on the opposite side of the knife, to be carried tip up for easier deployment using the hole in the blade to roll the blade open.

Other knife makers started using thumb studs due to the Spyderco patent on the hole in the blade.

Spyderco trivia!
Where did this info come from? That's the first I've heard of it. Although I had heard of the Spyderdrop before, I had never heard of it being the original, intended use for the Spyderhole.

BTW: I can Spyderdrop my Endura 3 and Delica 3 easilly, although my LBKII is quete difficult to open with this technique.

DasRonin

Newly Enlightened
It came from being a old guy and remembering when the Spyderco was the new hot knife company. They basically pioneered the one hand opening knive (non-auto). Very popular with police, fire and military when they first came out.

You don't live this old without learning stuff. The trick now is being able to remember stuff!

Last edited:

ghostrider

Enlightened
DasRonin said:
It came from being a old guy and remembering when the Spyderco was the new hot knife company. They basically pioneered the one hand opening knive (non-auto). Very popular with police, fire and military when they first came out.

You don't live this old without learning stuff. The trick now is being able to remember stuff!
lol,

Learn something new every day.

Thanks for the quick response.