Advice Needed: SMALL multi tool.

jtice

Flashaholic
I am looking for a good SMALL multi tool to EDC.
I was looking at the Leatherman Squirt.
I have a Gerber multi tool, but its way too large and heavy for me to EDC.

I mainly need a good set of screw drivers on it,
so, that got me to thinking, I coule just get one of those little screw driver sets.
I think they make some small little rectangle things, that screw driver tips pull out of.

So, give me some advice on all the SMALL screw driver and multi tool thingies out there guys.

Thanks.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend the leatherman squirt P4 but it only has 3 screw drivers on it. I think the severtool may be a better choice here.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SwissTechs linked above would be good options if you are just interested in screwdrivers. The Squirt's screwdrivers are not beefy enough to stand up to anything more than light-duty use. I think the smallest multitool with "real" screwdrivers would be the Leatherman Juice. If that is too big, the SwissTech options are the way to go.

Deanster

Enlightened
The smallest 'real' multi-tool is the Leatherman Juice S2 - smaller than my old swiss army knife, but with completely reasonable pliers, screwdrivers, can/bottle opener and scissors. The only multi-tool acceptable for pocket carry, IMHO, and it's effectively weightless on my belt.

next best is the Squirt series, though their 'phillips' driver is very much for light use only.

I know others feel differently, but I find the Swisstech stuff to be nearly useless - it's all cast and polished, rather than machined, so their drivers all have rounded edges, and don't grip worth a darn. I actually prefer the Squirt's little 'flat phillips' to the Swisstech stuff.

capnal

Enlightened
Really Need to consider the SOG cross-grip and the cross cut. I have the collection of Swisstech tools, LM Squirt, and the Micra, and I really have to say the SOG small offerings are really great and superior. I have both of them and I love them.

Check them out here... SOG Tools

bgenlvtex

Newly Enlightened
For a GOOD mini screwdriver set without excess baggage look at the Victorinox Cybertools specifically the "29" model.Excellent TOOL at an affordable price. No gadgetry just "tool".For little pliers there is no better on the market than the original Leatherman "Mini".Again no excess baggage but a full size set of pliers in a very compact size.I have bought many different multi tools over the years and always go back to the "Mini".Mini folds twice to make a full size set of needlenose pliers that you can do real work with.The SOG's which have a compound joint would be my second and only option. All others in the mini-micra class are little more than trinkets IMO( you of course are welcome to your opinion,but you won't change mine).I carry a Cybertool 29 and Leatherman Mini every day and find them to be excellent tools with practical application.YMMV.

mahoney

Enlightened
I also suggest the Leatherman Mini, a great tool. If you call Leatherman and are REAL nice, they may send you all the parts you need to replace the little knife blade with another screwdriver blade. (At least it worked for me) A few minutes at a grinder and you will have a flat #2 phillips blade to go with the regular screwdriver blade in the other handle. This mod makes the tool much more usefull IMO.

The weak link in most of the pocket screwdriver sets is the cheesy plastic handle. I haven't seen one yet that could take much torque.

Victronox sells a Swisstool with a driver bit holder/bit set that has an L-shaped bent rod (sorta like an Allen key) with a 1/4" hex bit holder on each end. This snaps into tabs on a rectangular plastic block that holds the bits. My former boss has one and it's a pretty slick little kit. I've never seen it for sale without the Swisstool though, so it's only $70 for the pocket screwdriver but you get a free Swisstool with it. :)

For those of us on a more modest budget, the plastic bit block is similar to what you find for sale in hardware stores full of bits and you could take a couple of 1/4" hex bit holders and weld them in an L or T shape. You can also get good quality "stubby" screw driver handles that will take a 1/4" hex insert bit at industrial suppliers. They might be a little big in diameter for pocket carry though.

After carrying a SOG Crosscut for a few months, and wearing the joint out while cutting a mere 3' of denim, I'm going back to the Leatherman Micra for my EDC scissors. The Micra has both a flat phillips and 2 slotted screwdriver blades, the Crosscut has 2 slotted, but neither is big or substantial enough to apply much torque with.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The swiss tool companion tool bit driver thing is a great suggestion. They may offer it separately as a replacement part. There is also a similar tool marketed by REI to bicyclists called the Topeak Toolbar, $22:
697056.jpg

jtice

Flashaholic
Hey, thats exactly what I was looking for !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thats perfect for what I want.
Thanks alot.
Now, to find a place that wont kill me on shipping for this $20 item /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if you have an REI store near you, you won't have to pay any shipping at all. Otherwise, I think they offer reasonable shipping terms to send it to your door. It may also be carried at a bicycle shop near you, but probably at a higher cost.

Good luck.

flashlight_widow

Enlightened
As far as small multitools, I have the Leatherman Squirt, Micra, and the SwissCard, and I love all of them. The SwissCard is particularly useful for carrying in small evening bags or wristlet handbags that don't have room for a regular multitool (I carry the Leatherman Flair on a daily basis.) We are going to REI tomorrow so I will have to investigate their smaller tool selections.