Advice - why do I need (another) knife?

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neck knives are neat if you can wear them openly. This wouldn't work with my attire so the point of convenience is kinda lost. I carry a 3.5in fixed atm in either a belt or a in-pocket sheath depending on what im wearing & where im going. Ive put a ulticlip on a sharpshooter sheath and it fits this blade perfectly.

IMG_5022.jpg

Sun's already gone here, so not much light to work with..

fulee9999

Enlightened
Neck knives are neat if you can wear them openly. This wouldn't work with my attire so the point of convenience is kinda lost. I carry a 3.5in fixed atm in either a belt or a in-pocket sheath depending on what im wearing & where im going. Ive put a ulticlip on a sharpshooter sheath and it fits this blade perfectly.

View attachment 28716

Sun's already gone here, so not much light to work with..
TIL how lax german laws about knife length is... you can carry a knife with a blade length under 12cm on you just like that?! :D

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
TIL how lax german laws about knife length is... you can carry a knife with a blade length under 12cm on you just like that?! :D
Yeah, that's one of the only advantages to our knife laws. Folders have no length restriction at all, fixed blades like you said under 12cm. Plenty of stupid restrictions to make for it tho, like locking knives being banned from carry if you can open them with one hand, but not otherwise. There's also a complete ban on OTFs, balisongs & side autos over 8,5cm.

There are some exceptions to blade length depending on intent & whether the cop likes you or not. For example a hunter or someone on a camping or bushcrafting trip could possibly carry a longer blade.

That opens up some neat loopholes tho: :grin2:

fulee9999

Enlightened
locking knives being banned from carry if you can open them with one hand

the UK has the same dumb locking restriction with knives as well, I don't understand why a locking blade would more dangerous than a non-locking one if the rule is there to protect the general public...

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
For sure. Everyone has their own needs and preferences. I consider a knife that survives being baton to be a mistake. As far as I'm concerned a good knife will break under that type of abuse

Reactions: xxo

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
No folding knife should be expected to take that kind of abuse, although some advertise their designs as "hard use" which is a bit of a contradiction. The steel in an outdoor fixed blade IMO should not be too brittle to avoid it chipping when hitting hard material like bone, rock or metal, which can easily happen in hunting, camping or bushcraft. I would expect those to stand up to light batoning. If such a blade where to break I would say either the blade was ground too thin or the steel is too hard. Usually outdoor fixed blades don't exceed 60hrc, & 56-58 is quite typical in many designs.

fulee9999

Enlightened
For sure. Everyone has their own needs and preferences. I consider a knife that survives being baton to be a mistake. As far as I'm concerned a good knife will break under that type of abuse

uhm.. as a "vic" user peasant I always figured all folding knives survive batoning if you use it correctly
( half close the blade, and baton away, victorinox knives notoriusly good for that type of use )

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast

For the most part, batoning is for people who make youtube vids in their backyard. Most people that use their knives for real want them to cut well not to use as a splitting wedge.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have reground most of my knives to be between 0.005 and 0010 in thick measured 1/8 of an inch above the edge. That is very thin and cuts very well. But that type of an edge will not stand up to abuse. But I know that my knife edge will never come in contact with a rock. Or a chunk of maple. I want them to be aggressive cutters and be able to slice through material without wedging

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
0.005" is the thickness behind the edge of a standard double edged razor blade. I would doubt the durability of such an edge even for regular every day cutting tasks. Ive heard of some people grinding down to .3mm, but not thinner. That would be way too fragile for my taste that's for certain.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have reground most of my knives to be between 0.005 and 0010 in thick measured 1/8 of an inch above the edge. That is very thin and cuts very well. But that type of an edge will not stand up to abuse. But I know that my knife edge will never come in contact with a rock. Or a chunk of maple. I want them to be aggressive cutters and be able to slice through material without wedging
I have a bunch of thin ground slicers. For example, my favorite neck knife and most used kitchen knife is an old cold steel K4 - great for slicing but too thin for even light abuse. I wouldn't even use the K4 for wood carving. I would use one of my thicker/narrower bladed knives for that, such as a moras or my cold steel finn hawk instead.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
0.005" is the thickness behind the edge of a standard double edged razor blade. I would doubt the durability of such an edge even for regular every day cutting tasks. Ive heard of some people grinding down to .3mm, but not thinner. That would be way too fragile for my taste that's for certain.
My kitchen knives are like that. Except for my one that I use around bone I've left that to .0015.
My skinning knife and my filet knives are also at that thinness. My everyday belt knife, isn't that range as well. I use it for opening packages and slicing meat. I'm not bending or prying or twisting anything. And it survives just fine.
I think a real travesty is that people just don't generally get to experience this type of grind. They think that heavy ground knives are super tough. But what they really are is cheap to produce. You can have much less sophisticated grinding methods with a thicker edge. With how thin mine are, if you don't do it evenly you'll get a piece of tin foil in one spot. That is very expensive to do with mass production

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you make your own knives? Because regrinding the bevel with a steeper angle wont change the thickness behind the edge. Or do you regrind the entire blade? Hollow or flat ground? What kind of knifes are you carrying? I haven't heard of any production carry blades with that kinda grind. Custom?

Maybe you're right, after all I haven't tried it. I just haven't heard about before that's all. Im too lazy to grind my blades that thin. Im very lazy in general. Im not trying to split atoms so my knives cut well enough for me.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is very fair. It's more of a hobby than anything. I have made a few knives but I'm not a knife maker. But I do have a belt grinder that I built. And that is how I am regrinding blades. Generally full flat grind. And yes there's a lot more thinning than just a steeper bevel angle. I have a couple of fill Wilson customs that did not need any work. Otherwise various kitchen knives. They are especially well suited to the thin grinds, being that they cut nothing but vegetables and meat on a clean soft cutting board. A spyderco delica. The Kershaw leek. I have an '01 fix blade knife made for me years ago by a Smith from blade forums. I had him grind it very thin, and then I grounded even thinner. That blade was left at 63 Rockwell hardness.