• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Aleph Tube O-Rings

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I'm almost convinced that different size o-rings have been used between the lights that Don sells directly and those used by our fellow modders. I have several Aleph tubes here and there are some that have a nice (not to loose, not to tight) fit with the bezel and tailcap and others that are extremely difficult to turn. I know it's not a lubrication issue or an issue with the bezel or tailcap, since I can easily swap componants and recreate the problem at will.

That all being said, what's the official size of the tube o-rings (bezel side and tailcap side)?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Ray,
The variations in the damn O-rings can be enough of an issue on its own as well as the source. The tolerances in the machined parts with the slight addition of plateing thickness also adds to the mess.

That said, the designed sizes are 015 and 017 (tail and head) If you have a tight fit going down a size will likely take care of the issue (14 and 16).

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i aint sure if this hleps but biglots has a nice asorment of o rings in a case for like 8 bucks it has 34 sizes if i recall

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think it includes 14, 15, 16, and 17. If it does, let me know.

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
I'm almost convinced that different size o-rings have been used between the lights that Don sells directly and those used by our fellow modders. I have several Aleph tubes here and there are some that have a nice (not to loose, not to tight) fit with the bezel and tailcap and others that are extremely difficult to turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are certainly variances in the hard parts AND in the soft parts as Don mentions. And because of that, I choose oring size on a case-by-case basis. I typically use one size smaller on the head and the tail these days - so #14 and #16, and vary with the need from here after I try the fit. My hope is that your nice-fitting head and tailcap came from me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif So, in a nutshell, you should definitely be convinced that I'm using difference sized orings.... 'cause I am!

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, you can drop Luxbright a line if you need O-rings for Surefire E series bodies. I think those may fit the Aleph bodies too unless I'm wrong. He found some at a local parts shop here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
I think that all the Aleph builders now have lifetime supplies of any of the Aleph orings as well. I believe that the "stock" Aleph orings ARE the same as the Surefire E body orings, so swapping like for like isn't going to get you far if you're trying for a different fit.