Alkaline pressure buildup

Borad

Enlightened
The manual I linked above says the same thing. Later on, however, in a section entitled "Battery Specifications," it says that lithium primaries are usable.

Does your manual have a Battery Specifications section?

Just a technical parameters section with no mention of lithium. I entered the serial number at http://www.fenixlight.com/sn_local.aspx and it tells me the LED is a CREE XP-E R2, which is consistent with what the manual says about the LED so its not like they sent me a manual for the earlier version that had the different LED.

WTH, I uploaded the manual here.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
This what gets confusing....alkaline or NiMH or lithium. Dang near afraid to buy any of them.....

What should we use? What's really safe?
Energizer ultimate lithium in a quality single battery light. It's safer than candles and oil lamps.

Don't buy alkaline, you just ruin gear when they leak. Eneloop NiMH is outstanding.

Garbage in, garbage out. Skip the garbage and go for quality. I'm carrying 3 lithium-ion and 1 Eneloop at the moment. I sleep fine.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a technical parameters section with no mention of lithium. I entered the serial number at http://www.fenixlight.com/sn_local.aspx and it tells me the LED is a CREE XP-E R2, which is consistent with what the manual says about the LED so its not like they sent me a manual for the earlier version that had the different LED.

WTH, I uploaded the manual here.

Thanks.

What's up with Fenix? By all reports, the E05 works great on an Energizer Advanced Lithium primary, and yet Fenix chooses to keep that a secret in the manual for the 2011 E05. In the manuals for its later models, Fenix mentions lithium primary, but only after earlier omitting it when it lists NiMH and alkaline as the supported battery types.

A fresh lithium primary will output 1.7v, but that is not a problem for most 1xAA and 1xAAA lights.

Last edited:

Borad

Enlightened
Thanks...looks like I'm looking for some Enigizer lithium....

I'm going to change my suggestion. I think alkaline is safer than any lithium battery. The good brands of lithiums can vent, and that's important, but if they vent into a well sealed flashlight with a tight battery compartment then the venting does nothing. Even energizer AA and AAA batteries, which are the "intrinsically safe" ones have this issue. I'd trust them in one of the Maglites that have a vented tail cap, or in one of the Pelicans that have a valve. Otherwise I'd feel safer with alkalines.

I'd like details on the testing of the venting of batteries. Out in the open, I'd expect venting to prevent rupture and explosion of the battery. If they're tested inside a flashlight, I'm not sure venting matters.

Last edited:

Borad

Enlightened
I wonder what the standards are for whether a flashlight could take lithium batteries, if any. Is it vague, like "recommended battery must allow safe operation" or are there particulars? Either way I'd feel safer with an alkaline battery in a waterproof flashlight but I still wonder about the rules.