Aluminum headlamp for P60 drop ins - proto pics

gillestugan

Enlightened
It looks great! Im suremany would like to buy them if price is right.
It will also make a great bikelamp.

Very clever to make a mount for the petzl adapt system. Makes it very versatile.

It would have been nice to have the switch on the side of the lamp or on the top, but I assume it would be much harder to machine such setup.

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much does it weigh?

Prototype weights:
Body & lens - 52g
With Brackets shown - 75g
With brackets and Malkoff - 111g
With Brackets and DX drop in - 93g

There is potential to shave some more weight

Woods Walker,
yes it sheds heat quickly.
An R2 at 1.4A is no problem.

I'll stick a p7 in there as soon as I receive it.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Nice to hear about heat. Just so cool that it can take any P60 type drop in. Still for a headlamp it would be warm tint LED all the way!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool indeed!

lovecpf

Looking foward to seeing how far this gets (i.e. the all important questions: Can I get one, and for how much?!)

I'm surprised some other manufacturer hasn't done this already.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
:faint: Moddoo, that is one hell of a prototype! :bow: :goodjob:
That's also a very cool idea that steveG had wrt to using a donor body / bezel and just having a harness to hold the threading mechanism. I don't mind that idea but I am more included to just be able to open the head, drop-in my M60 / P60 and go.

As for switching mechanisms / battery configs, I prefer the switch be attached to the bezel or close to the headlamp itself. If the switching mechanism is part of the battery unit, then I would love to see what design you come up for that. I would also prefer either a 2x or 4x18650 battery configuration for long runtimes. As you indicated, that may be determined down the road.

Since you indicated that you may be offering this in kit-form, then I would suggest there should be options for battery packs mounted on the rear of the head-strap and use of an extension cord w/ battery in pocket / rucksack.

Again, fantastic job and I'll be looking forward to more updates!:popcorn:

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interested here....:popcorn:

So is the idea on the shorter head for it to connect to a standard headlamp battery pack cable? Thanks!

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
P2130126.jpg

I think it likes the P7 :grin2:

with a little air flow, the P7 @ 2.6A does not overheat.

I'll play with some 3A drivers and such soon.

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

I worked on the parts again today.
trying to nail down something solid enough to buy in quantity.

I will be on vacation from the 18th to the 22nd.

Soon, I will get a lot of 40 pieces ordered.

You guys can play with them and we'll try to get a production bracket, then battery pack, figured out.

Thanks again for all the support.

Last edited:

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Wow! Aside from a mod I saw on a Zebralight, I think this is the first headlamp that I have ever seen that could fit an MC-E! Fantastic! Now, that's just begging to be run off 2x18650's... :D

mega_lumens

Enlightened
What a great job in craftsmanship and talent! Your universal P-60 headlamp looks very promising. I would be interested in a final product.

What I'd like to see is a better mounting system (hopefully possible) where the butt of the head meets the back plate of the headband. For now it looks like it sits bit high and might be uncomfortable to wear for prolonged time? How does the prototype feel when you wear it?

For a battery system, I think, nothing can beat a simple aluminum tube design which is easier to produce and waterproof. An option to carry 17670, 18650 and CR123s will cover most people's battery preferences. A single 1x version and a 2x 18650 for those that want 2x batteries. The battery tube can connect with quality coil wire with a disconnect. The battery tube pack could mount on the back to counter balance the P60 head.

Good luck on your project. Look forward to see the final result.

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a great job in craftsmanship and talent! Your universal P-60 headlamp looks very promising. I would be interested in a final product.

What I'd like to see is a better mounting system (hopefully possible) where the butt of the head meets the back plate of the headband. For now it looks like it sits bit high and might be uncomfortable to wear for prolonged time? How does the prototype feel when you wear it?

For a battery system, I think, nothing can beat a simple aluminum tube design which is easier to produce and waterproof. An option to carry 17670, 18650 and CR123s will cover most people's battery preferences. A single 1x version and a 2x 18650 for those that want 2x batteries. The battery tube can connect with quality coil wire with a disconnect. The battery tube pack could mount on the back to counter balance the P60 head.

Good luck on your project. Look forward to see the final result.

I got away from that style of mount for a couple reasons.

P60s are long, with the length needed and a pivoting bracket, it would stick out quite a ways, and would be prone to a lot of shaking while walking running, etc.

Also, with the light so long and close to the eyes, you get a "baseball cap" effect. You cannot see things directy above and ahead of you. This can be a dangerous problem in certain situations.

It can also make it very easy to temporarily blind yourself when anything gets near your eyes, if the light is very close to them.

I have worn this protype for probably 15 hours total so far. With several 2 -3 hour sessions. It is comfortable, doesn't shake around much at all while running, and it's pretty easy to forget that you are wearing it.

I do agree on the battery tube idea. I have a couple 1x and 2x 18650 tubes made up. They work well. I will try to work on them some more soon.
I am unsure of the wire type to go with. I like the coiled wire idea, but am unsure if that would be best, because it would be bulky if run under clothing. Maybe a short coil from the body, that has a disconnect that can be plugged into the battery pack on the head (like you said) or also it could plug into a straight wire running to a hip/belt battery pack.

Thanks for the input, and please, anyone keep it coming.

:p

supes

Enlightened
:rock: This is something I'd definitely be interested in. Like someone else said, this is the second headlamp that has gotten me giddy.

It looks like from your pictures, the head/bezel makes good contact with the drop-in, but I would like to stress, just incase, to try to make the design make as much contact(metal to metal) with the drop in as possible for heat dissipation and for things like Malkoff M60 MC-E!

For battery solutions, maybe a single battery tube(ideal, lightweight) plus the option of an input plug in(waterproof seal, of course) for external bigger battery packs to hook up to, if users need more runtime and power.

Keep up the excellent work!

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put together a simple P7 headlamp yesterday.
Nothing but a P7 on a star screwed to a small heatsink, with a minimal Bezel/lensholder screwed over the top.
No reflector, no optic, just a bare P7.
Lots of light, everywhere.

The whole thing connects to one of the Petzl adapt brackets.
It's roughly the size of a tikka 3aaa.

Heat management is good. It does need some airflow at 3A though.:p
on a bike or running would be more than enough.
Maybe I'll try 2 P7s...

I am going to order a few of the 23mm P7 reflectors and see how they perform. The 40* might be perfect.

Anyway, I will cut my latest design of the P60 headlamp this week.
Just a few minor tweaks to the internal dimensions.
If I am happy with it, I'll put in the order next week.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Hi moddoo, did you already try this with a 3A driver. Also, how are you powering the P7? Do you have a battery configuration or just at-home test? Would love to see any further pics and / beamshots that you may have! :popcorn:

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey man,
I have not run the round headlamp at 3A yet.
Based on the 2.6A testing, it should be fine with some airflow.
But then, when do you need 700+ lumens on your head if you're not moving?!?!

I am running 18650 DD to the LED.

I can get some beamshots for you, maybe tonight.
I'll compare a few drop ins for you guys.
But, I don't have any P7 specific reflectors yet.

This light is nearing production. I have a new simple bracket designed and I am awaiting a quote on it.

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here goes.
I do not have a manual f-stop on my digital camera.
However, these shots do compare very closely with what I saw first hand.
The wood stack is about 40ft away and about 5 1/2 ft high.
3 trees in center>> tree..9ft..tree..14ft..tree.

CONTROL SHOT
CONTROL.jpg

STOCK 6P INCAN
6PSTOCK.jpg

6P WITH MALKOFF M60F
M60F.jpg

6P WITH DX DROP IN Q5 @1.4A
6P14AQ5.jpg

ADDED- SAME DX DROP IN Q5 @1.4A INSIDE OF HEAD LAMP
NOTICE, SPILL IS INCREASED GREATLY AND CUTOFF CANNOT BE SEEN IN PHOTO.
14AQ5INHEDLITE.jpg

P7 @2.6A WITH DX REFLECTOR
P726AXREREFLECTOR.jpg

P7 @3A NO REFLECTOR
P73ABARE.jpg

The bare P7 has tons of light outside the photo. It fills your entire peripheral vision.

Last edited:

Latest posts