Aluminum headlamp for P60 drop ins - proto pics

xiejol

Newly Enlightened
I just got my 3W Cree Headlamp with an aluminum body from focalprice. It is identical to SKU S008339 on KD, but has only one mode. The light is good, but I bought it hoping it would take a P60 dropin, because it looks just like the head of a Surefire light.

Well, guess what? It will work with P60 dropins. The only thing it will need is a good thermal path to the outside body, which can be accomplished with foil or copper tape. I'm ordering a new R2 dropin right now.

I posted some pics here on CPF here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/238165

Here is a pic with the stock emitter, notice the large heatsink:
15.jpg

Unscrew the heatsink and place in the P60 dropin:

16.jpg

It is loose, of course, but once you screw in the lens it seats in place well enough for electrical connectivity, no rattling at all. Definitely going to make a aluminum ring to fit the empty space and/or wrap it in copper tape.

17.jpg

^^Nova^^

Enlightened
Any updates?

I have been keeping an eye on these to use as bike lights. That way I can swap the drop-ins between the bike and my SF lights.

Cheers,
Nova

xiejol

Newly Enlightened
I got my R2 dropin installed in the model above and replaced the AAA battery pack which lasted 45 minutes with a single 18650 holder made from PVC and a piece of road tube. I've had it on my bike helmet for the past couple of weeks and it works really well. No flickering, nice throw, and at least an hour and a half runtime (that is how long the commute is).

stuartyr

Newly Enlightened
Can I put myself down as a definite for one of these when the first run becomes available please? :)

traplight

Newly Enlightened
Not to appear demanding, but is there an ETA on these guys? Am still more than interested... almost to the point of hysterical!!

BUMP** ;)

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still in this game.

I know it's been a long time.

Recently, I got a quote on the major components of the 2 setups.

I may need to find a quality builder to handle assembly of these.

This is a big hurdle for me.

I can get parts, but most of you will want them assembled I think.

I am very short on time.

Please Email me if you, or someone you know, may be able to help.

Thanks
-Tom

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not as good as Moddoo's solution, but I modified a SF handgun light to work for D26 lamps and LED drop-ins. I had to dremel the inner diameter a bit to get LED drop-ins to fit. The bezel is a G3 bezel cut down to fit (it comes with an HA aluminum bezel though if you only want it for LED applications). The handgun light attaches to a weaver rail on the headband (I still need to get a wider base for it). It can take a lot of configurations, pretty much any lamp or drop-in that can run on anything from 3-9V (you just have to reverse the batteries if using an LED). The switch is sturdy enough for use with IMR's. I've had a P91 in this setup for a while. It is only water resistant though. A piece of duct tape over the top does the trick when it is raining hard. Anyways, just wanted to throw it out there as an option. :popcorn:

4019369721_a1765f05e5_o.jpg

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello again guys.

This project is basically on hold right now.

I am working on getting help with some assembly work.

When I get that figured out, this will be revisited.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello again guys.

This project is basically on hold right now.

I am working on getting help with some assembly work.

When I get that figured out, this will be revisited.

Thanks for the update, even if it is disappointing.

Sverre

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone else waiting on this one?!

even if it was a bit pricey - it would be "future proof" with
new modules coming out every 6 months or so...

SST-50 Nailbender in a HL would KILL....

please someone build these!!!!:paypal::paypal::paypal:

traplight

Newly Enlightened
Not to be hijacking a thread or credit. No offense Moddoo :D but i'm in the latter design stages and am currently getting bids from several short run machinists. So far i've got a simple rendering :

4425747677_47aae1047e_o.jpg

... and a few specs:

- Zero space in between module and outer cooling fins using coolants.
- 9 Sq. Inches of surface area (may increase to about 11.5 with a few changes)
- switch will be inline to keep headlamp body as compact and weight free as possible
- adapts to princeton tec solo and related) headband mount ... will make an aluminum version that will assist in heat dissipation.

I'd like to do a threaded bezel, but it seems a little too cost prohibitive. The allen head ti screws should be pretty hip ;)

please don't post comments or requests to this thread. a new thread will be started once things progress to a point where they justify updates and commentary.

Thanks for the inspiration Moddoo!

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be great if the battery pack could use either 2x18650 or 4x123 or even have an optional pack designed for AA cells, say 6xAA.