An explosion-proof flashlight?

ultrarunner2015

Newly Enlightened
I'm having some trouble with my 2004 Subaru Forester's evap system (it throws a code on the OBDII). I read today that one possible cause is a hole in the fuel filler neck. So I thought, maybe it's worth a look. But in order to really see anything (even in daylight), I'm going to need a bright flashlight.
I own a Black Diamond LED headlamp, but hesitate to put its lamp so close to the fuel filler neck.
This led me to ask about an explosion-proof flashlight.
Should I be using one when anywhere near the fuel tank, filler neck, or any other part where fuel and/or its vapors may be present?
Or, should I just leave the snooping to my mechanic.

Ultrarunner

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix also produces a flashlight with those requirements.
Fenix WF05E or WF11E or WF30RE
WF05E it is the cheapest one.

fulee9999

Enlightened
BrightStar Razor is also a class 1 div 1 flashlight, and streamlight has some I believe too, but in my view if the light you put there isn't hot enough and there is no arcing in it, and you're in a well ventillated are ( or even outside ) I imagine it should be safe...?

Also taking it to the mechanic also works as well, who will for sure just put their penlight or milwaukee flashlight there without any hesitation :D

3_gun

Enlightened
The air/fuel ratio for ignition is VERY narrow & needs a serious jolt (spark) to be set off. Having the light on beforehand = no spark. I wouldn't worry about it for one second; just have the light on before hand.

strideredc

Enlightened
I worked in comp ex for a while... remember it's flame proof meaning if it sparks and lights a gas the gaps in the surfaces are small enough to stop the flame propagating back out of the light, enclosure... think two machined surfaces like a cylinder head bolted together raw metal on metal with no gasket to make it gas tight but no designed to be gas tight. as mentioned its designed to let the gas in! but flame out,but by it come out its not hot enough to start a fire...

old complex kit was very well made and expensive .. florescent light balasts packed in 5 kg of dry sand....

lights similar principles must apply..... don't get it wrong (BANG!) I am sure we have some complex sparks on these very forums that will know much more than me 😉

ultrarunner2015

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys;
I'm just going to take a quick look myself, then take the car back to the mechanic.

edje

Newly Enlightened
I'm having some trouble with my 2004 Subaru Forester's evap system (it throws a code on the OBDII). I read today that one possible cause is a hole in the fuel filler neck. So I thought, maybe it's worth a look. But in order to really see anything (even in daylight), I'm going to need a bright flashlight.
I own a Black Diamond LED headlamp, but hesitate to put its lamp so close to the fuel filler neck.
This led me to ask about an explosion-proof flashlight.
Should I be using one when anywhere near the fuel tank, filler neck, or any other part where fuel and/or its vapors may be present?
Or, should I just leave the snooping to my mechanic.

Ultrarunner
850 lumen
Nitecore EF1 ATEX
Is a verry nice Light

Attachments

• IMG_20210415_103025.jpg
    IMG_20210415_103025.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 60