AN/VSS-1 Searchlight

IgNITEor

Newly Enlightened
Anybody here purchase the -1 from Las Cruces off of eBay yesterday?

I need parts, and had my crosshairs lined up on that unit.
Waited.....too.....long. Plus my freight receiver insisted on the lamp being removed prior to shipment.

He didn't completely understand just how beefy everything about the -1 is.

Bill Idaho

Newly Enlightened
I haven't posted here in awhile. I still come to read a bunch, just don't have anything to say. Now I do.........

As some of you guys know, I collect military vehicles, and have a working VSS-1 and VSS-3. I guess my ignorance is showing, as I was not familiar with a GSS -1. This whole time I have been wrong in regards to what I have. I looked at that picture on EPay, and it sure did look familiar. so I went outside and checked my "VSS-1". I humbly stand corrected. All this time what I thought was a VSS-1 was really a GSS -1.. It is the variation of the VSS-1 that mounts to the rear of an M151, as after inspecting mine, sure enough, that's what I have. ( I thought that mount looked familiar!) Kinda neat as on one of the data tags, it shows one of the items needed is----the M151 vehicle! It also shows the 180 amp Generator/regulator (which I have) that bolts right on the M151 (which I also have), cables needed and the operating box (yep, got those too).
Learn something every day. Now I guess I am back in the market for a real VSS-1. (And still looking for a relatively simple commercial/civilian drop-in replacement to fill the inside of an extra gutted VSS-3 I have laying around, but I digress......)

1000EE-Monarch

Newly Enlightened
New here but have been looking at this AN/VSS-1 thread for a while... I've had three of these searchlights in my collection of odd stuff for years and been meaning to get at least one of them running.

In the meantime, I am thinning down my collection by a slight amount, and put one of them in a small online auction along with a bunch of other laser and high voltage goodies. Hopefully this doesn't bother anyone, but here's a link...

Just hoping some of this stuff goes for a fair price to someone that will have fun with it. Located in Hayward, CA (San Francisco area).

Thanks, and looking forward to getting one of these beasts running!
Alex.

Last edited by a moderator:

scout24

Flashaholic
1000EE- Hello and welcome to CPF! I approved your post, but edited out the sales link. There is a dedicated Want To Sell subforum here, outside of the discussion threads. Thanks for your understanding!

1000EE-Monarch

Newly Enlightened
1000EE- Hello and welcome to CPF! I approved your post, but edited out the sales link. There is a dedicated Want To Sell subforum here, outside of the discussion threads. Thanks for your understanding!

Thanks!

My next step to powering up one of the ones I'm keeping is making a breakout cable like ShortArc made early in this thread to connect from the main power cable to the control box. I'm kinda kicking myself for not having done that before putting it in the auction, but that the price of too many projects, not enough time....

A quick scan though this TM

http://www.imfmotorpool.com/files/015020.PDF

does not show an electrical schematic... Anyone have one for the whole unit or just the control cable wiring?

Thanks,
Alex

IgNITEor

Newly Enlightened
And now, from the Central Oregon high desert:

IMG_1679_2.jpg

The Deathray is alive!

Last edited:

IgNITEor

Newly Enlightened
Just had to dial that image action a wee bit.

The short story, after major OEM (Varo) component failure, I was able to replace the voltage converter and ignitor with off-the-shelf gear and bring my -1 back to life.

And the best part? Full overdrive capability!

Next phase is to reconnect filters and black-out shield drive motors to the original control box without the original relay control.

IgNITEor

Newly Enlightened
Haven't checked in for a little while.
There's been more time available to dig through lots of special parts and devices to possibly set aside for a fresh build
or upgrade soon.

There's also time to see what is out there in the rest of the heavy lighting world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbMs2AaQUVw

This is similar to the US Navy's 24" carbon arc version, however you'll see the arc assembly mounted at the 10 o'clock position.
Very cool, and the focus is super tight for such an old weapon.

Hope everyone is hanging in there.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need an ignitor for one of my 1,200 watt Xenon searchlights. Where's a good source for Xenon or any HID lamp ignitors..? Thanks.