Any noticeable difference between 10 year and the new 12 year duracell AA batteries?

Zapp

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a discussion on the new Duracell AA with power boost and 12 year life (Was 10 year). Just bought them at Costco. I checked with Duracell website and see this, " *New Duracell with Power Boost Ingredients can deliver more power in some devices, or more life in others, vs. previous Coppertop." Has anyone here tested them for improved service life? Hopefully not just a marketing fib. I notice the new Duracells have a different feel to the wrapper sort of like paper like where as the old ones have a glossy look/feel. Both are made in China.
Regards, Zapp

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasn't going to respond, but no one did, so...

I think chances are good that 12 years ago, Duracell set aside a batch of cells to test the self-discharge. After a decade, since they still held charge, they informed marketing, who changed labels and packaging to great fanfare to say "Lasts 10 years!" A couple years later, same thing. My bet is there is hasn't been any R&D on alkaline chemistry there for a good long while. They're the same cells. IMO.

And welcome to CPF.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I have been so far behind in battery technology. I though the 16350 battery was the coolest thing ever with an on board charging port. I am still rolling cheapo amazon basic alkaline (which bit me in the butt once with my Surefire E2L AA). Its crazy how far we have come and who knows, we might be rolling capacitors in the future.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greater time for folks to trust them so they can have a better shot at leaking and destroying what they are in.

The Hawk

Enlightened
A couple months ago I bought a 40 pack of the 12 year life span Duracell AA batteries. I doubt that they are any different than the 10 year batteries. I noticed the package states they will replace any device that is damages by a defect in the battery. I wonder if that includes leakage?

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Duracell will do that if the cell leaks, as I have heard at least one story here on CPF where they replaced a... something. Flashlight? Radio? I forget. But it was because of a leaking cell that ruined a small electronic device. But I wonder if they will replace something like a car, or a home, if a leaking cell ruined that. I expect probably not.