Any one use a candle lantern?

Torpedo

Newly Enlightened
I just found my candle lantern from about twenty five years ago. Sure brings back lots of memories. Gonna clean all the old wax off it ,and use it again this spring.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love candles and candle lanterns. Lately, however, I've been running my Dietz and Kirkman tubular lanterns quite a bit (every night). I run Klean Heat, so the scent of the kero is extremely minimal inside. The look of these units and the bright, constant flame is still as useable and useful as it was 100 years ago. I think any true light fiend should have one of these to try. Great for picnic tables, etc. I have one dedicated for citronella oil as well.

Nice to hear that a product from my hometown is getting good use by Candlepower Forum members on the other side of the country. Kirkman Lanterns is based in Ramona, CA and if I remember correctly, is the only company that makes kerosene lanterns left in the U.S.. It's right off of Main Street on the other end of town from my home. The Kirkman's are friendly people.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Dang it, all this talk of candle lanterns has me wanting to go find mine now. My neighbour likes to light her room with nothing but candles and it's great for relaxing after work.

Illum

Flashaholic
Dang it, all this talk of candle lanterns has me wanting to go find mine now. My neighbour likes to light her room with nothing but candles and it's great for relaxing after work.

Just make sure you are not in an earthquake prone area, there are no kids or pets that can knock it over, and keep at least two windows open just a smudge. For natural smells I prefer beeswax candles, but some say its too sooty

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Just make sure you are not in an earthquake prone area, there are no kids or pets that can knock it over, and keep at least two windows open just a smudge. For natural smells I prefer beeswax candles, but some say its too sooty
I've used candles before, have a couple of these, although I haven't seen them in years but I'll see if I can find some beeswax candles, and if not, maybe I'll make some with leftovers from last years hives.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I've used both the UCO Candlelier and the regular UCO Original Candle Lantern, I like them both but for different uses.

The original version is a single candle lantern that collapses down to a nice compact size which i've used for backpacking. I've found that it provides enough light to get around in the dark and avoid obstacles, but more light would be nice for reading a book or doing anything detailed. I bought the reflector, and this does help. The Candlelier is the 3 candle version which is nicer for reading or playing board games, I use the reflector for this one as well which does make a big improvement if directional light is ok. I love coffee too, and the Candlelier can support the weight of a mug or small pot, so it keeps my coffee nice and hot. The manufacturer says it can boil stuff - maybe it can in hot weather, but in cool weather when it counts I haven't been able to get it to boil anything (it comes close though). I wish the original version could support my mug, but it can't because of the collapsible design - the Candlelier isn't collapsible, so it's too bulky for backpacking.

Perhaps 20 years ago I had a single candle design, idk if it was a UCO or a different brand. I don't recall ever getting around to using it though, and now it's GONE! :shakehead

At any rate, perhaps you could put a pin in the supports to keep it from collapsing? maybe a spring clamp?

markr6

Flashaholic
I took my UCO Micro backpacking recently (you can barely see it on the left corner or the tarp). It was very relaxing to have the warm glow while I ate dinner from my hammock and just relaxed before turning in for the night. I accidentally broke the wick and it just didn't burn right so I had to ditch it. Luckily it holds a spare right in the base. What a great little item for $10!

UCO_hammock.jpg

Andy80F

Newly Enlightened
Routinely use a UCO candle holder usually with a 9 hour Citronella candle that seems to help in keeping insects out of the tent. Can't do that with an LED :poke:

markr6

Flashaholic
That's really pretty.

Is that somewhere in the Carolinas?

Actually in the Deam Wilderness a little south of Bloomington, IN. The water in the background is Monroe Lake, actually a reservoir but it's huge. It's usually a nice place; way too busy in the summer when it turn into party city. And you're knee-high in horse poop many times.

Brightholzer

Newly Enlightened
I have two of the smaller UCOs. They are great.

I use them almost exclusively in backpacking/smaller pup tents. I think they help allot in keeping the dampness out as the night cools.
Safe? Yes; as long as common sense is included.
Like any candle, they will puddle some wax at the base of the wick. Watch your head, unless you want to goober up the insides.

Ocracoke

Newly Enlightened
As the cooler weather hits I expect I'll be taking my candle lantern out more. While it's not a good idea to use in a hammock (which is my favorite way to camp), it works well in a tent since it does not create dangerous fumes (just CO2), adds a little extra warmth to your tent, and of course gives you light. Never saw a need for an LED lantern when a candle lantern does so much more.
Hammock? Unless you are bagging your self up what's the problem? I wouldn't hang it from a ridge line over a hammock, but position on ground for a little light of where, what you are stepping on, can you say gum balls barefooted, if you live in the south US? Hanging from tree? Getting out of the hammock to visit the little boy's room when nature calls?

If warm is what you seek, try a https://gearweare.net/review/whitby-co-hand-warmer/ . I like the Whitby over other brands, it's slightly better built, the rubber stopper filler, the sizes, once you start one, it's tough to put out, the standard method is to let it run out of fuel, so buy by burn time need. You have to let it cool down to refill. You can buy your own catalytic material and stuff it, this works better. Google it. The trick to lighting one is to not to smoke aka soot it, the catalytic material, it ruins it eventually, but, if you can warm the fuel slightly.

And yes, because it's burning fuel, like a candle, it competes with you for oxygen, so user beware.

I place it in a cup of hot water for about 5 minutes, this vapors the efficiency of the fuel. It's seems to be the same as a kerosene lantern, when you light those you keep the flame down low because in about 10 minutes the lantern warms, the fuel warms, allowing the oil flow to be more fluid, the flame will get higher by itself, then you adjust to where you want.

Last edited:

Ocracoke

Newly Enlightened
As the cooler weather hits I expect I'll be taking my candle lantern out more. While it's not a good idea to use in a hammock (which is my favorite way to camp), it works well in a tent since it does not create dangerous fumes (just CO2), adds a little extra warmth to your tent, and of course gives you light. Never saw a need for an LED lantern when a candle lantern does so much more.
Hammock? Unless you are bagging your self up what's the problem? I wouldn't hang it from a ridge line over a hammock, but position on ground for a little light of where, what you are stepping? Hanging from tree? Getting out of the hammock to visit the little boy's room when nature calls?

If warm is what you seek, try a https://gearweare.net/review/whitby-co-hand-warmer/ . I like the Whitby over other brands, it's slightly better built, the rubber stopper filler, the sizes, once you start one, it's tough to put out, the standard method is to let it run out of fuel, so buy by burn time need. You have to let it cool down to refill. You can buy your own catalytic material and stuff it, this works better. Google it. The trick to lighting one is to not to smoke aka soot it, the catalytic material, it ruins it eventually, but, if you can warm the fuel slightly.

And yes, because it's burning fuel, like a candle, it competes with you for oxygen, so user beware.

I place it in a cup of hot water for about 5 minutes, this vapors the efficiency of the fuel. It's seems to be the same as a kerosene lantern, when you light those you keep the flame down low because in about 10 minutes the lantern warms, the fuel warms, allowing the oil flow to be more fluid, the flame will get higher by itself, then you adjust to where you want.

Have one and dragging it out this last summer. It has a romance to it, but I have a 2700K flashlight with a diffuser on it that can run about 50-100 hours putting out the same amount of light.