Any other compulsive battery aligners here?

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Erm... Could you put the purple/blue pencil in the centre please? It doesn't look 'balanced' right now.

Flea Bag

Enlightened
So many of us are guilty of this phenomenon... I go to the extent of aligning the batteries' labels randomly between charges. I follow the orientation of the first inserted battery and if that one happens to have its label facing downwards, then the rest of that set of batts I will face downwards too. If I happen to remember that previously the 'eneloop' label was pointed to the left, then on the next charge, I would have the label pointed to the right. Over time, I was hoping that the liquids and internal heat of the batteries would be more evened out.

I personally don't think it makes a significant difference towards the long-term health of the batteries, but if I have the spare mental capacity to do it, why not? Aligning the labels also serves as a visual reminder to keep batteries separated in the event that you charge more than one set at the same time.

bansuri

Enlightened
I don't line them up, but I do spin them to ensure that the battery is seated correctly and making good contact. Unnecessary perhaps, but this method evolved out of observing that devices that I've inserted batteries into wouldn't function initially until I do a spin/seat cycle with the batteries.
As a person who deals with mass-production I can say with certainty that a thoughtful habit like lining up your batteries and ensuring proper polarity will serve you well in the long run.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Interesting thread here !

:thumbsup:

Must admit, I am also a compulsive Battery Aligner.

:whistle:

BTW -- today at Menards (home improvement store),
i was looking at the Energizer Ultimate Lithium battery display.

One package of 4xAAA batteries had ONE cell inserted BACKWARDS !

:eek:

Don't know how common this is,
but i kinda' wondered if i should purchase it,
as a "Collectable Error".

:)

Anyone else ever see that ? ? ?

budynabuick

Enlightened
4rfia1.jpg

LMAO I did not expect that. Very good. Thanks. Now I can relax in peace. Some of you amaze me with the proficiency with which you work these photos. I should learn how too do that as well. My grand kids can but I can"t:sick2:! I think I will learn how this is done as I would like to post some photos.

Keith

Last edited:

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
<---guilty. It started out as a means of keeping groups together. I label all my rechargeables so they stay in the same device, seems logical to me to keep the same type load on em for their cycles...have no idea if it really matters. And now that I've gotten into Li-ion, I keep the date (again my own labels) visible which keeps them upright. I also consider that the rotation to bring them around and inline will make sure the contact is good and the cell is seated.

PapaLumen, that Powerex charger is awesome looking! Might just have to upgrade one of these days! :) I'm using an 8 bay Maha 801d for my Eneloops and Imedion AA's for photography flash units. Those Imedion's look sweet lined up 8 wide with the labels all up! I have a color code in the Imedion "o" for grouping. ;)

Would like to know where to get a better Li-ion charger than the UltraFire and it has to fit 32650 PCB cells. Anyone know of such a critter?

Slickseth

Newly Enlightened
It's called obsessive compulsive disorder. You'll rarely meet a flashaholic who doesn't suffer from it.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also align batteries, and other things...

We once built a deck. The only available screws to mount the top wood panels had slotted heads. By the end, all screw slots were parallel. :)

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's one along the same line. Not me, but my brother.

It was in an older, but elaborate home in its day, that he had bought. IIRC, it had low voltage wiring to the light switches that lead to a relay box. A few of the relays were acting up so repair was in order. He did the work and I believe some relays needed to be replaced.

Longish story short, after completion, all the screws didn't match securing the relays in place.

Not good enough! Oh no... He either had to find, or went out and purchased new screws for all the relays so they would match!

Now mind you, these relays were mounted in a panel, under a cover, in the attic!! :duh2:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leo Fender actually patented aligned screw head slots, both parallel to and at right angles to the strings, on his guitars..
said it affects the sound...

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I almost always align the slotted screw heads straight up and down on electrical switch plates and outlet covers. Batteries - I spin them around in the charger to make sure they are all in the correct position and to make sure they make a good contact.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do that also...dunno why cause the charger is under the desk and not seen. I suppose it is my one attempt at organization since my desk looks like a mess. hahaha...