Any point upgrading a DX WF-600 Q2 thrower to a Q5?

coldlocus

Newly Enlightened
After much thought and research I came to the conclusion that the WF-600 was the best thrower I could get on a limited budget, so I ordered one yesterday with some christmas money. But now I just saw that the Q5 version for 10 bucks more is available again after it has been on backorder for about a month. I'm a bit tempted to go through the hazzle of changing my order (still not shipped from DX), but I'm wondering if there is any point of upgrading?

Will the difference be noticed at all in real use?
There are plenty of reviews on the Q2, but none on the Aurora Q5, are they really the same light but with just different emitters?
And is the 18650 version still brighter than the version that takes both CR123 and 18650?

Appreciate any input, thanks!

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think they are the same light except the Aurora has HAIII and a metal reflector. You might notice the difference if you had both lights and compared them side by side.

Not sure about the output of the 18650 model VS the higher voltage model.

coldlocus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the answere. Didn't know about the added advantage of HAIII and aluminium reflector that the Aurora had. Might go for one then. Allthough I just saw, by going by the beamshot of the Aurora on DX, the spot seems to be a lot wider than that of the WF-600, which I wouldnt prefer on a thrower. Decisions, decisions...

Gunner12

Flashaholic
HA III or HA is type III anodizing(Type II is NOT HA II). It is tougher and more scratch resistant.

I'd say keep the WF-600 and upgrade the LED to a R4 when the R4s come out. Or send DX a ticket to see if they will let you switch the order to the Aurora without you paying the price difference(the just might to satisfy their customer).

coldlocus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the "support". :)
I decided that I'll stick with the Q2. The output difference can't be that great, and even though the Aurora has HAIII and metal reflector, I'm not sure about it's performance and beam qualities, there are no reviews up yet, but plenty on the old WF-600.