Any Sell sights...not ebay? And another related question.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast

I very much prefer to use a system which allows flexible options within the structure of an 'auction' format. I gather that things are listed on this site as (in essense) a 'buy it now' price listing - period, and that's a pretty restrictive method for me. If I could at least list a 'buy it now' price, but could optionally have an 'OBO' added to that, I'd probably go for it. I don't think that option is provided for here(?). I'm aware of the rather laborious serial 'price drop' posts which are apparently used here. I find that a bit tedious.

These are offered as 'as is' opinions:)
You can list items with the buy it now price, and also mention OBO in your CPF sales ad.
Other members would then PM You with their offer. Of course if an offer is accepted by the seller,
It is up to the seller top update their listing(s) as sold, so that others do not send payment for an item
that can not be fulfilled, and leaves You having to refund monies to someone that paid for an item that
is no longer available. Just my $0.02.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finding ways to sell items and service is definitely becoming harder.

I used to post an adv on the local craiglist when I needed to promote some van electrical related services that I do and it was easy to pick up a few jobs. Not anymore.

It seems like you almost have to post things on FB market place to get eyeballs now and that is not cheap either. Ebay related costs are just silly.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I misunderstood the title of your topic, so didn't reply until now.
With the exception of ebay, the largest one out there is Etsy.
Don't let their Family Friendly message fool you.
Pretty much any individual can open up a shop on Etsy.
I have a massive amount of experience on there, as a Buyer.
Few months back, con-men setting up shops was a MAJOR issue.
Was genuinely surprised that the Admins. started cleaning up.
Actually took action after all the massive complaints from Buyers.
Con-men still an issue but far less so.
Sellers tend to have shops on both eBay and Etsy.
Etsy does have a dark underbelly though.

I know folks who won't sell on there for moral reasons.
Etsy despises weapons. Most knives are Made in Pakistan junk.
Advertised as "Handmade." Few actually are quality custom knives.
But let's say you'd like to buy a leather harness on Etsy.
One used by those who practice an Alternative Lifestyle.
No problem! You'll find the real thing sold there.
Want a leather mask to go with it? No problem at all.
And that's the most "Family Friendly" alternative gear on there.
Etsy has no problem with those who like to dive deep in cesspools.
Wish they'd fix their Recommendations page.
Buying a custom-made LEATHER multi-tool belt pouch is one thing.
Recommendations page shouldn't assume you want some other types of leather gear too. (Such as "clothing" that barely covers anything at all, and none of one's private parts.)

But yeah, as a Seller; Etsy will happily cater to you.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about etsy - that is pretty specific fo just home made items AFAIK.

I have seen plenty of seller complaints about etsy from people that seemed pretty legit.

Similar to ebay - when my older son sold stuff on there - they buyers would scam him - wait until the end of the grace period and then claim that they didn't get their stuff. Ebay would take the money back out of his bank account and he was just screwed over.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sorry to hear your older son got scammed as a Good Faith seller.

Like I said, Etsy has started cleaning up its act. But when you're cleaning up a huge cesspool, it's going to take time.

As far as that Handmade goods BS the site preaches about. That's just their marketing nonsense to appeal to buyers who hate Corporate America. Honestly though, would rather have a Bowie knife made by Cold Steel than gamble on a "Handmade" custom knifemaker new to the business with no clue (by me) what his skill level is. Wasn't always that way. But I got burned one too many times. Including by one scumbag who is still selling on Etsy and still offering the very same Arkansas toothpick he eventually sent me. I was so understanding and so accommodating after getting one excuse after another after another....

By the time I finally got my order, it was something I'd expect from a guy who bought a book on knifemaking, bought all the equipment needed, and made about 5 blades before making mine. Shouldn't have waited around, should have demanded a refund. Now I know better.

About the only good thing is that I have a relatively short list of trusted sellers I buy from frequently. But the times I got burned, all involved having to call my CC company or PayPal to get the funds put back in my account. Etsy was zero help.