Anybody remember Tekna Lights?

Clutch Cargo

Newly Enlightened
Wow, memories. I went around my house and dug up two monoliths, one splash light, and a 2AA with the battery meter. All of them are still working and look good.

h_nu

Enlightened
I have the head from my Tekna Micro-lith but can't find the body. It came with an expensive Lithium battery and the instructions said if a Lithium battery was unavailable you could use 2 N cells instead.

My brother still has his 4AA and 8AA models but the reflectors have peeled or flaked.

Tesla

Enlightened
I have hung onto my 4x AA light. It currently holds a "3-cell" bulb which is nicely overdriven....thinking about going LED, though. At one time, I had a 2 x AA light, but sacrificed it to one of my kids' friends.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I still have my 2N cell techna light, but it hasn't seen use for decades. I have thought about modding it for LED use and a lithium Ion battery of sorts.

paulr

Flashaholic
I saw a Splashlite in a store when I was in high school, wanted it but 15 bucks (or whatever it was) seemed like too much for a flashlight back then (hah, good thing there was no CPF). It just seemed great for modding into a red-led light (white leds didn't exist yet). I didn't buy it but always sort of wanted one for years afterwards. When I joined CPF, I remembered the Splashlite and posted a WTB and got one within a few days. It's still a cool little light and I actually use it once in a while. Scott at Tek-tite also kindly sent me an LED version (omg, that was a while ago, and I think maybe I was supposed to review it. I'm just realizing this now. Well I'll see if I can do that soon). I also have a Tekna Mono-lith (1x123 incan light with a tiny flange-based bulb and Minimag-like adjustable reflector) that a CPF'er sent me (thanks!) and in fact I just used it last night. These were very well-designed, well-made lights back in their day, though I haven't really found myself wanting the bigger ones.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Tekna knife and flashlight, although I can't remember which models. I do remember they had a building along Old County Road in Belmont, CA. that may have been their headquarters (at least for the west coast).

gunga

Flashaholic
I used to have a tekna tec2 (I think it was called). Used 2 AA, and A PR222 bulb. Water proof and rugged beyond belief, 2 handed twisty and about as dim as a could be.

I liked it, but it wasn't so useful for seeing at night...

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
ABTOMAT said:
I have an original Tekna Night Eye, I got it unused a couple years ago. I think it was one of the very first LED flashlights--uses a big red emitter behind an optic. Throws a very tight beam with no sidespill.

The metal sleeve over the body is solid titanium.

tekna.jpg

I just looked and I still have one of these as well! I've got to go look over some of my old strorage spaces!!!

Karl

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, they have been discussed here many, many times in the past and they were way ahead of their time. Nice pic ABTOMAT! That was arguably the first commercially produced LED light and the very first light to use titanium. I carried one on my keychain for over 15 years until it fell off. The plastic head and tail were it's weak points.

I remember years ago, Don, (McGizmo), and I having a discussion in a thread here when he was pretty much a newbie and we both agreed that was the light that hooked us on LEDs. Of course he took the LED concept to all-time highs!

I had all of the Tekna lights and knives back in the '80's and sold them or traded them off here on CPF years ago. I traded my last Tekna, an orange Tekna 4XAA dive light to Milkyspit years ago but aquired a black one about a year ago. I also still have an original Tekna "Extra Edge" knife hanging on my keychain to this day.

Like Tesla, I put a 3XAA Xenon bulb in the 4XAA diver. I also coated the plastic lens with WriteRight textured film and it is a nice light now with good throw. Oh yeah, Tekna was the first to pioneer Xenon bulbs!

Redd

Newly Enlightened
Forgive me for raising the dead.
The small Tekna that takes one CR123a cell is a Tekna Mono-Lith. It takes a small screw-thread bulb, and I can't quite read any numbers on it.
The next larger one that takes two "N" cells take a standard small screw-in bulb, the one common on soldering guns and other things, I think that's PR-222 and there are LED substitutes for that. I put one in tonight. The problem is, that light normally takes the N cells "negative up" because they wobble inside the body. So you either need a non-polarized LED bulb, or you need to put the batteries in + side up, and carefully add s him around them to center them in order to make contact with the bulb.
I'd be tickled pink to find out what that "even smaller" screw-in bulb in the Mono Lith is, because that's getting an LED next. I don't need a lot of brightness for that, it is a marker light (they both will be) so something store-bought and simply swapped in would do. Anyone still out there?

I've also got a Tekna that takes two AA cells, and has an orange body. Of course it takes the PR222 bulb and has an LED in it now. Tekna used to call this an "electric candle" because it has a long clear top in front of the bulb, so it scatters a very wide light. candle style.

turbodog

Flashaholic
And the zombie thread rises again... I just ordered a new in package 4aa tekna light from ebay. Give it a new led bulb and see what happens...

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
I had one for a brief period in the 80's. I think I lost it, but I carried a Mini Maglite during that time mostly. I remember it not being very bright.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Well...

NIB tekna 4aa light arrived. Incan bulb still works after being stored for ~30? years.

Swapped for led and nothing.

Smelled something burning.

Not good...

The flippin light is center NEGATIVE and toasted the led retrofit.

And I actually had a specific need for such a light...

This sucks.

Anyone know a led drop in that will do EITHER polarity?

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well...

NIB tekna 4aa light arrived. Incan bulb still works after being stored for ~30? years.

Swapped for led and nothing.

Smelled something burning.

Not good...

The flippin light is center NEGATIVE and toasted the led retrofit.

And I actually had a specific need for such a light...

This sucks.

Anyone know a led drop in that will do EITHER polarity?

First - For the record, I don't know anything about Teknas myself (nor 'N' cells, or a lot of other things for that matter:).

Are you talkin' about the polarity snafu referenced in post #33?

Is the LED you tried like this one, or is this the type that won't work in your light? (there are some */** notes I don't really understand either)

turbodog

Flashaholic
First - For the record, I don't know anything about Teknas myself (nor 'N' cells, or a lot of other things for that matter:).

Are you talkin' about the polarity snafu referenced in post #33?

Is the LED you tried like this one, or is this the type that won't work in your light? (there are some */** notes I don't really understand either)

Used this replacement.

1683412474672.png

After more googling... looks like I'm SOL. There were only 1-2 reverse polarity drop-in units made... and those 1) ceased long ago 2) had poor output.

turbodog

Flashaholic
The light in question had a 4aa pack w/ 9v connector on top that snapped to the switch/bulb/reflector assembly. I was able to take (2) 9v pigtail leads, cross solder them, and snap onto the battery/light engine assembly. I sanded some spacers off the bottom of the light assembly to make some room. It worked, but the bulb focus was terrible. There was enough vertical space for it all to fit and work.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I still have my Tekna lights. One has a red lens in it. Also, I have a neat little plastic note pad with a built in pen, very cool.

Man, I got thoes along time ago. where did the time go?

Good lord! 25 years!

Best,

RL
I still have one I bought new in 1987, I just haven't seen it in the last decade, perhaps because of the other 300-400 lights "lying around" that all work. Getting ready for an interstate move to Texas(along with 3 generations of family on both sides), so I am actually going to do a new and proper inventory, sell off a bunch and go from there,..