anyone else added lights to their car?

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
that corolla/camry up top isn't legal either. you are only allowed to have 4 forward facing lights on at a time.

this was taken on private property(driveway) Sherlock. the vehicle code section regarding maximum number being 4 lights applies to public highways, not off-road areas and private property.

oh yeah, welcome to CPF

24411. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a vehicle may be equipped with not more than eight lamps for use as headlamps while the vehicle is operated or driven off the highway. The lamps shall be mounted at a height of not less than 16 inches from the ground, or more than 12 inches above the top of the passenger compartment, at any place between the front of the vehicle and a line lying on a point 40 inches to the rear of the seat occupied by the driver, shall be wired independently of all other lighting circuits, and, whenever the vehicle is operated or driven upon a highway, shall be covered or hooded with an opaque hood or cover, and turned off.
Amended Ch. 149, Stats. 1986. Effective January 1, 1987.

Last edited:

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: Our country also has a maximum of four lights turned on while driving, but it doesn't apply to photoshoots or off road use. I also enquired once about flashing red and blue lights (ie, police colours), and I was told that was OK, as long as they couldn't be seen from a public road. (They were intended for a stationary display, not a car.)

mudpuppy

Newly Enlightened
this was taken on private property(driveway) Sherlock. the vehicle code section regarding maximum number being 4 lights applies to public highways, not off-road areas and private property.

oh yeah, welcome to CPF

Well in that case, Sherlock, I assume that you have personally witnessed him using his "illegal" lighting on the highway. Just like we have no proof that your pic is in your driveway. But since this is on the internet anyway, who gives a poop, we both look retarded for arguing anyway.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well in that case, Sherlock, I assume that you have personally witnessed him using his "illegal" lighting on the highway. Just like we have no proof that your pic is in your driveway. But since this is on the internet anyway, who gives a [edited for profanity], we both look retarded for arguing anyway.

you can see the incline from the road, the mail box at the edge of the front yard, etc. the car is parked on a inclined driveway with the 6 lights turned on toward a garage door. But your statement makes little sense. I said nothing about "him using his illegal lighting on the highway". I do not live in Conneticut so I am in no position to speak on that subject, that's an issue between you and half-watt, I see no reason why I am receiving the "retarded" label.

I responded to your post since you were accusing me of illegally using my lights, when you said that "that corolla/camry up top isn't legal either" If you have no proof, I would appreciate if you do not accuse me of breaking a law even when I can explain the legality and show the corresponding vehicle code pertaining to the issue.

of course if you want to call me retarded for pointing that I was 100% complying with California State Vehicle Code, it baffles me as to what retarded means in your book.

and, this is a family-oriented forum, please do not use profanity like what you typed.

Last edited:

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was doing some calculations recently about what gauge wire I'd need if I was going to mount some lights on a roof bar. How many volts is OK to drop in the wiring before it's too noticeable in the lights?

irsa76

Newly Enlightened
All but 2 of my cars have had aux lights added. This was my Mazda in 1998, first set up:
121auk6.jpg

This is my former Datsun 720 from a few months ago, truck since sold. The top lights are Cibie Oscar SC off the Mazda, which I rolled in 1999, and the lower lights are Narva Maxim 180 Fog lights, which I had used on the Mazda to replace the lights in the first photo.
chloe20040124002oy9.jpg

irsa76

Newly Enlightened
It's actually the same bar on both cars! It's called a UniBar and it mounts behind the numberplate on the bumper, with the plate over it. It's a heavy duty cast alloy with a chrome steel tube glued across the front. I'll pull it out of the shed and post some more photos if you would like. I added the foglights by bolting the Cibies through the Unibar and a piece of heavy steel plate.
The reason why the tube is missing is I rolled the Mazda end over end and the tube simply fell off, and I dented one of the Cibies. The set up has since been on 4 other cars.
chloe20061231003av4.jpg

Here's my Charade with the Narva Fogs, again, and Hella Comet 450 driving lights. This was a test fit which I never completed after I found the chassis was cracked in a couple of places.

bobski

Newly Enlightened
'91 Honda CRX. Among many other modifications, OE '94 Civic projector fog lights. I modified the original brackets so they would bolt to existing holes in the front bumper support beam. I don't have any good recent pics, but here's one I like... Too bad the bush leaned into the pic.
rexNightFog.jpg

And a newer one with plexi covers over the fake brake ducts that I installed the lights in.
rexEveNewPaint.jpg

I've got a set of Hella driving lights sitting on a shelf in the garage waiting for me to get around to installing them. It's mostly a matter of settling on a location.