Anyone else using a Sidewinder?

Tactical45

Newly Enlightened
I am just wondering. I use mine instead of the issued military SF Kevlar lights. There are no protective tabs to break off, plus it has four different lights in one. Not to mention all the levels of light and strobe features. I buy most of my extra kit to suit my needs, not what they issue because of lowest bidder. It is very durable as well, I have spent a lot of time in a turret, plus roll over drills, and it has held up great! I also have the head band to go with it, that is a great feature that the SF does not have. One thing I had learned many years ago is "one is none, two is one", yes, it is good to carry a back up, but the is another saying " ounces are pounds, pounds are pain". I like a multi-purpose anything, as long as it is function over form. Between my Sidewinder and my newly purchased Nitecore SRT 7, I know I am covered. Not to mention the SF M952v and Scout M600C-V. Yep, I replaced the head on the Scout, two is one, remember? When it comes to lighting and ammo, you can't have too much! LOL

MGRS

Newly Enlightened
I have a sidewinder compact but I don't use it at work. I like the flood from the SF lights for helmet light stuff. I tried the sidewinder, but it stuck out more and caught on things.

Firstlight Tomahawk is another great light you might run into. We were issued sets with a pivoting molle mount.

Tactical45

Newly Enlightened
I agree, about how far out it sticks, I just got used to the distance from training. To me the benefits out weighed the small issue. I had bought a Tomahawk, it was a bit large and heavy for me. It was not as versatile as the Sidewinder. I get a comment once in a while about why I buy my own equipment all the time instead of sticking with issued. When I explain why and show them, then it's a different story. Most are just too lazy to think or research a new direction. One thing I do keep in mind though is weather or not is still uses issued a power source, so long as it is a good power source that is issued.

nobletitus

Newly Enlightened
I use the sidewinder compact 2 for night time LE work. I use it for its low lumen features. The Compact 2 is far better than Compact 1. I have both and they should discontinue Compact 1. It has a much better gasket, and LED.

I modified the helmet mount to fit in my molle. I did this so I could move it to any angle I wanted. It does stick out a bit and I had seriously debated this or a Quiqlite. I also had an early Quiqlite but the Sidewinder was a bit more durable. My Quiqlite arm snapped after getting caught on the edge of the car door.

I really like the Sidewinder Compact because you can clip it to your belt and it is easy for every day carry and doesn't get in the way.

ToneDeath

Newly Enlightened
I have the full size civilian RGB version, I love it for camping and navigation. Easy to use controls and you can change the batteries even in total darkness and the tethered end cap is a well thought out feature.

TD

Tactical45

Newly Enlightened
I had a couple soldiers ask me about mine when we were down range, I let one of them use it one night while on patrol, needless to say, he had one sent from back home and so did the other.......