Anyone had issues with the Nitecore TM28 with flat top cells

Talster

Newly Enlightened
I'm having an issue with flat topped 18650 cells in this flashlight. I got some LG HG2 and have placed the adapter on top of them, but when I screw the torch back together, the screen does not come on. Its as if there not making a connection. I can confirm the batteries are fully charged, are placed in the correct way and the adapter is placed on the top of the cells the correct way also.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this or have heard of other people suffering this issue with this particular flashlight model. The only thing I can think of is it might be something to do with the terminals in the tail piece of this particular TM28, as the adapter is in place and if that's the case I was hoping a replacement TM28 might work, as the TM28 is definitely compatible with these cells when using the supplied adapter.

I just thought I would ask on here, before contacting the place of purchase to see if they can replace the TM28 (as I have only recently purchased it).

Thanks.

Talster

Newly Enlightened
I have the TM26 and I dont know where I read it whether it was on line or the TM26 manual, but the TM26 light wont work with flat topped batteries.. So I bought these when buying the TM26 and there still going strong 3 - 4yrs later https://www.torchdirect.co.uk/batteries/nitecore-18650-2600mah-li-ion-protected-battery.html

Thanks, but I have the TM28, not the TM26 😀.

I've seen online and on You Tube, flat top 18650's been used in the TM28, as the TM28 comes with this adapter (see below). And also in the user guide for the TM28 it states:

"When using flat top 18650 batteries, ensure the flat top battery connector is placed on the positive terminal of the batteries"

24_rdl_nitecore_tm28.jpg

25_rdl_nitecore_tm28.jpg

Talster

Newly Enlightened
Just to update:

Just got a replacement TM28 today, but the LG HG2 still won't work, so I'm unsure as to what is the cause now, unless the sizing on the particular HG2's I have is slightly off, then I'm unsure. I do not have any other flat top 18650 to try, and don't want to purchase a different brand to see if that helps, as I could be potentially wasting money in getting them, so I'm going to play it safe and just get another set of the very same protected cells that ships with the Nitecore TM28 or failing that, some equally performing protected cells.

Last edited: