Anyone have the Olight M31?

jcalvert

Enlightened
I have not been out testing it yet, just done a fast comparison indoor, but I expect it to easily surpass M2S and probably surpass both RRT-3 and Catapult V2 in throw (They are very close in performance).
You can check the other lights (except M31) here.

HKJ,

I just wanted to thank you for your beamshot comparisons of the high output class throwers. Your link was exactly what I needed to help me make a choice for this type of light at $150 or less.

All the best,
John

jcalvert

Enlightened
I understand and I am working as fast as possible.

When doing a beamshot I seldom do much comparing and this time around I had to work fast (I fought a loosing battle with a swarm of mosquitoes) and I had 14 lights to do.

Here are some of the shots:
M2S, M31, Catapult V2 at 30 meter:
DSC_3909a.jpg
DSC_3905a.jpg
DSC_3904a.jpg

M2S, M31, Catapult V2 at 160 meter:
DSC_3993a.jpg
DSC_3988a.jpg
DSC_3986a.jpg

HKJ,

I should have kept reading the thread before commenting on your first round of beamshots because I appreciate that you added the Olight M31. I just wish the M31 was within my budget of $150, so the Catapult V2 wins for my criteria! :twothumbs

Thanks again for sharing with us all your hard work. :thumbsup: Maybe one day for the M31?
shrug.gif

All the best,
John

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a pity that the M31 has a warning about heat building up and possibly damaging the batteries or electronics.

I suppose I could live with it as I could use the medium level of 320 lumens most of the time after the initial search period that I generally use it for.

The M30 will run on Hi Mode (700 lumens to start with) until the Lion batteries shut themselves down and has never had any heat issues in my use.

I really don't know whether it is better to have Hi Mode for an hour guaranteed on the M30 or maybe 800 lumens for only short bursts on the M31.

I am still not sure what the Olight M30 and M31 OTF (out the front) lumens are.

I have completely discharged this torch many a time.

One thing I have noticed is that the M30 will taper the light output gradually until and noticeably towards the end of its one hour runtime.

I have always used 2 x 18500 Lions in my torch and swap them out with another pair that I keep charged in my bag.

I would be interested to hear whether other M30 users have experienced the dimming light output as the batteries run down as I thought the torch was regulated to stay at full output until the end.

Update - I just noticed that the original CPF review of the Olight M30 states 1 hour 6 minutes until 50% as seen in the thread below.

I am sure that my torch gradually runs down more evenly than the sudden plunge shown in the runtime graph in the review below.

I will test it out again if and when I get a replacement from the dealer.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/231491

I hope we get a review as detailed as this one from "Selfbuilt" for the Olight M31.

I still like another button for mode control and instant strobe functions as on the M30.

I wonder if Olight will bring out a version of the M31 with an extra button on the tailcap like they did with the M20S?

I found that the extra side button is a bit hard to feel for in the dark.

But I twisted the tailcap back just a little to let the pocket clip line up with the side button.

I can easily now find the button by feeling for or keeping my thumb at the end of the clip especially when gripping the torch with the front end at the bottom of my hand and my thumb at the tailcap end.

Last edited:

jcalvert

Enlightened
There are many other light you could ask the same question about, but I have to draw the limit somewhere.

Gotcha! Keep up the great work, I'm sure I speak for most on CPF, if not all, that your work is very appreciated!
wink2.gif

John

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight (and their dealers) are claiming the advertised 800 Lumens for the M31 as OTF (saying LED lumens is around 1100 Lumens). It's more likely in the 700s which is still a LOT of light.
The M30 is around 450ish OTF Lumens.

There is another thread about the Catapult V2 where testing showed lower OTF lumens than expected. It's marketed as a 1000 LED Lumens light. Assuming 30% loss (I personally think it's more...should be closer to 35%), you're looking at around 700 OTF Lumens. Testing showed only 600 OTF Lumens. Regardless, it's still a strong thrower and within your price range. But the M31 is smaller and more compact. The Catapult looks like a monster compared to other lights in it's class.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am really missing my Olight M30 while it has been sent back under warranty to the dealer.

Please come back all is forgiven. :mecry:

If all I get OTF of my Olight M30 is about 500 lumens then 800 lumens OTF with an light Olight M31 is a big step up in output.

I have seen the Olight M31 in person and compared to my Olight M30 the M31 is noticeably brighter with a tighter hotspot as it comes with a smooth reflector.

The Olight M30 has an orange peel reflector and is a lot more of a flooder. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

River Runner

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone measured OTF lumens yet?

I've heard it said that Olight advertises 800 OTF lumens...but they substantially overstate lumens in their other lights.

RR

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
If all I get OTF on my Olight M30 is about 500 lumens then 800 lumens OTF is a big step up in output. :thumbsup:

Our eyes see differences in brightness logarithmically, so 300 lumens won't be as different as you think. Yes, you'll definitely notice it, but probably won't be as large a difference than you imagine currently.

Olight uses emitter lumens at the calculated drive levels their driver is predicted to supply. I don't think they overstate their output...just that people don't always remember it's emitter lumens.

dhouseng

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone measured OTF lumens yet?

I've heard it said that Olight advertises 800 OTF lumens...but they substantially overstate lumens in their other lights.

RR

Mine did around 750 OTF for the first 20 seconds. (Just a rough assumption based on a complicated testing).

Last edited:

River Runner

Newly Enlightened
Anyone else? It just seems curious that Olight, who is known to advertise inflated lumens would suddenly "man-up" and give accurate numbers for this light - and not advertise those as OTF. Can someone test the light in a sphere?

River Runner

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so I pulled the trigger on an M31 based on what I've read in this thread. Though there's not any real lumens figures, the lux readings suggest it will work for my purposes. After I've played with it a little I'll post a "hunters" perspective.

RR

Ok, I confess...I also ordered a Quark Mini AA...and some 14500s...and a couple of 2900mha 18650s...and an extra Preon head for my single AAA body...don't tell the wife! Crap...hope she doesn't read this!

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, so I pulled the trigger on an M31 based on what I've read in this thread. Though there's not any real lumens figures, the lux readings suggest it will work for my purposes. After I've played with it a little I'll post a "hunters" perspective.

RR

Ok, I confess...I also ordered a Quark Mini AA...and some 14500s...and a couple of 2900mha 18650s...and an extra Preon head for my single AAA body...don't tell the wife! Crap...hope she doesn't read this!

I have owned an Olight M30 for a year now and apart from the screw threads wearing out it has been a good WALL OF LIGHT for me.

I have sent it back under warranty.

I would be interested to know whether you or any owners of the M31 experience any of the heat problems when running on Hi with the M31 as advertised on Olight dealers websites as stated below.

Warning: Please use high mode sparingly. Due to its high power consumption, an excessive amount of heat may be built up and it may harm the batteries and the flashlight.

This is the one thing that puts me off this torch.

I like that it has more output and is more of a thrower than the M30.

If you knew about the warning of heat issues before you bought this torch can you tell me what made you not worry about this issue and still buy it? :candle:

dhouseng

Newly Enlightened
If you knew about the warning of heat issues before you bought this torch can you tell me what made you not worry about this issue and still buy it? :candle:

Maybe this info would be useful if you haven't seen it.

Do you plan to use it on high mode for more than 10 minutes continuously? The runtime on high is quite limited anyway so I would just use it on high for 4 - 5 minutes short bursts, or maybe longer if i cool it with my hands.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems like the SST-50 lights run quite a bit hotter than the MC-E lights. The SST-50s do put out more lumens...in some cases about 200 OTF more, while in others, only about 100 OTF more, than MCE lights (i.e. Catapult V2 is ~600 OTF while some MCE lights are 500 OTF). Could be a combination of that extra bit of output and perhaps the SST-50s needing better thermal dissipation requirements than what the current light designs offer, or what lights are even capable of offering.
Seems like HKJ has shown that the M31 can survive fine running for a long time. Can tell that with the JB M2S since it has a timer. For me, a "search" light shouldn't have such runtime limitations. If I were a professional SAR (have a friend who is), I'd need my light on and at max for as long as it takes to find the missing persons.